• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster and Non-Casters

molepunch

First Post
In a typical fantasy setting, I've always wondered if it even makes any sense for a "Fighter" to stand on equal ground as a hero with a Wizard or a spell caster. It's like having super heroes and policemen in the same team.

I love playing the melee warrior guy and 3.5 has always bored me because I always feel like I'm just a glorified NPC grunt. 4E balanced it out but it drove a pro-Wizard friend away from our games.

What does everyone think? Does the melee guy still have a place as a PC if magic is powerful, reliable, and unlimited? On the other hand, is it also pointless if magic isn't impressive, reliable, and greatly limited?

Looking forward to earnest insight to this convention we've come to accept-- cleric wizard fighter thief.

Thanks all!

In a typical fantasy setting, I've always wondered if it even makes any sense for a "Fighter" to stand on equal ground as a hero with a Wizard or a spell caster. It's like having super heroes and policemen in the same team.

I love playing the melee warrior guy and 3.5 has always bored me because I always feel like I'm just a glorified NPC grunt. 4E balanced it out but it drove a pro-Wizard friend away from our games.

What does everyone think? Does the melee guy still have a place as a PC if magic is powerful, reliable, and unlimited? On the other hand, is it also pointless if magic isn't impressive, reliable, and greatly limited?

Looking forward to earnest insight to this convention we've come to accept-- cleric wizard fighter thief.

Thanks all!

Fantasy novels aren't fantasy games. In most pre-D&D fantasy novels, LotR being a big exception, there's only one or two heroes, and they're either fighter-commanders or low-level casters.

After D&D became popular (a non-identified term), parties starting becoming more common in fantasy novels. Alas, they still tended to "nerf" spellcasters in various ways. LotR (older than D&D, but still) had Gandalf afraid to use magic, because it would create a massive beacon letting the forces of evil know where he is. Fantasy novels are filled with weak spellcasters who can cast mystic dart three times per day.

Even if the caster is considered powerful, this just means they can cast three powerful spells per day, all of which take a lot of time to cast, requiring them to be guarded by fighters.

And of course, in D&D novels, casters never get to rest. (There should be a trope for this.) I read one of the Knights of Myth Drannor book, and the wizard character, who could cast Lightning Bolt, cast less than six spells in the 400 page book, which took place over only two days, and complained about being "out of magic". In the rare instance where casters aren't so limited, they tend to become flagrantly overpowered (Elminster, Lina Inverse, if anyone knows who the latter is). Could bad writing be at the core of this complaint?

In short, the books and game don't match up.

The game has made repeated attempts to balance things up. Wizards are weak and vulnerable to go with that power; unfortunately, this tended to make them very weak at low levels, while at high levels fighters only acted as their bodyguards. (This was explicitly pointed out in novels and flavor text for Dragonlance, when explaining the partnership between a wizard and a fighter. It was part of Caramon and Raistlin's combat strategy.) In 3.x, for instance, because wizards had such terrible hit point and AC scores, even "overpowered" spells that simply boosted these scores weren't any good. Instead, wizards tended to rely on powerful but balanced defensive spells (Mirror Image) or flat-out broken ones (Greater Invisibility) to go along with their incredible, ever-increasing offense.

IMO, 4e has done a pretty good job of balancing things out. Wizards are no longer horribly weak - their AC scores aren't terrible anymore (being based on Int), their hit points are low but you're no longer in danger of being one-shotted by a kobold minion, and you have a "limitless" supply of attack magic, so you're not constantly hugging the fighter like an iron security blanket while plinking darts in the general direction of your foes. On the other hand, you can't be constantly invisible (which has been nerfed into a fairly easy to understand mechanic), flying, and dishing out save-or-suffer spells every round that a fighter-type NPC has no real chance of resisting, with only one spell necessary to take out each opponent!

By giving wizards a clearer role, WotC has made it difficult for either class to feel jealous of each other. Sure, the fighter has more hit points, better AC and more healing surges (usually of greater value too) but the fighter's job is to take hits for other characters, and is given the tools (marking, Combat Challenge, etc) to do just that. Meanwhile, the wizard is probably dishing out multi-target control effects like Icy Rays, which don't dish out massive damage but (literally) freezes opponents in place. Alternatively, if the wizard is using the somewhat weaker wand build, they can still dish out reliable AoE damage, great for clearing minions, clumps, and so forth. Despite claims that there's no difference between the classes, the fighter cannot do the wizard's job, and the wizard cannot do the fighter's job.

Magic is both more and less reliable than before. Yes, the wizard can whip out some fairly weak Thunderwave spells ad-infinitum, but that's no stronger than Tide of Iron or whatever another character can do. On the other hand, if the wizard hits an opponent with, say, Legion's Hold, it's not a guaranteed hit even if the targets are weak-willed, and the targets get a greater than 50% chance of breaking free every round. Contrast with in 3.5, a wizard could hit a target with Hold Monster, which gave a save every round, but if your target was a rogue who could make their save less than 25% of the time, they were effectively out of the entire battle.

Having fewer spells/encounter meant setting up a massive alpha strike combo is nearly impossible. It also makes picking spells easier, IME; in 3.x, I played an "invincible wizard" rather than a sorcerer because I wanted spell variety, but noted I pretty much did the same thing every encounter. (Mirror Image, then save-or-suffer spells like Glitterdust until the battle is over.) Several of the spells said wizard were using are rituals in 4e, and wouldn't need to be used every day, like Knock. (Speaking of which, Knock is a great example of a ritual. You can get a +5 bonus to your Arcana check, which will probably be equal to a rogue's Thievery check without the bonus, but it costs you a healing surge. A rogue can use a daily utility to get an ever larger bonus to their Thievery check, and in any event can do so faster than the wizard. I'm not seeing a lot of competition there. The wizard can't replace the rogue if the rogue is there, but if there isn't a rogue, and you need to get through that door regardless of cost, well, turn to the wizard.)

I wouldn't refer to the situation as "policemen versus superheroes". Superheroes are flat-out better than cops, being at least as tough and can have the same training (in some cases, they might literally be cops when out of costume). It's more like X-Men First Class where you've got X-23 (younger Wolverine clone) and a telepath who can't fight; probably a better example is to say the fighter is a superhero, with a different set of abilities than his more mystical companions.

Luce

Explorer
1.Slayers is considered a comedy making fun of RPG tropes.
2. In that setting casting really gets it out of you (both seen in cannon, and in the TTRPG adaptions) Cast too many spells (or few powerful ones) and you are out for the count.
3. Lina Inverse herself is a high level character, a pinnacle of her profession. Yet I do not remember seeing her cast two Dragon Slave back to back.

Yora

Legend
I'd actually prefer to have worriors clearly surpass mages in direct confrontations.

Mages should be shining when working from the background, manipulating and supporting their allies. But once they are cornered by a guy with a sword, I think it would be best to have them almost helpless. Like how commanding a battleship is absolutely useless when there's a guy with a knife on the bridge.
Mages should be "enablers". Allowing the party to do things they normally couldn't, but leaving the hard work to the warriors and rogues.

1.Slayers is considered a comedy making fun of RPG tropes.
2. In that setting casting really gets it out of you (both seen in cannon, and in the TTRPG adaptions) Cast too many spells (or few powerful ones) and you are out for the count.​

I haven't read the light novels or most manga, but I've seen every episode, OVA and movie, even the most recent stuff.

The only time Lina has ever been out of magic was when it was "that time of the month" (yes, they went there), when she was starved, when she was cursed, and when she cast Giga Slave or Ragna Blade. None of those things came up often.

It's like following 3.x's epic rules, where you have powerful spells that dish out feedback damage to the caster; you don't have to use them, not when you can cheerfully blow up a mountain with no (non-social) consequences.

Lina was constantly casting spells and not running out of energy.

3. Lina Inverse herself is a high level character, a pinnacle of her profession. Yet I do not remember seeing her cast two Dragon Slave back to back.

Lina didn't ever need to, save once. Dragon Slave killed anything but a high-level mazoku, and those just washed it off, so why bother casting the spell again? And actually she did in Slayers Next (blew up one demon with a Dragon Slave, then channeled another one through Gourry's Sword of Light, the combo being enough to kill the higher-level of the pair of mazoku).

Rezo II blew up a city with a mid-level spell :)

I'd actually prefer to have worriors clearly surpass mages in direct confrontations.

Mages should be shining when working from the background, manipulating and supporting their allies. But once they are cornered by a guy with a sword, I think it would be best to have them almost helpless. Like how commanding a battleship is absolutely useless when there's a guy with a knife on the bridge.
Mages should be "enablers". Allowing the party to do things they normally couldn't, but leaving the hard work to the warriors and rogues.

I think having wizards being wimps is just as bad as having them owning the setting. That also sounds a bit more like the cleric's role than the wizard's, although severely nerfed.

Corathon

First Post

I think a high level fighter is more like Batman than like a policeman. Definitely not some normal guy, but with fewer options than, say, Superman. The Justice League had Superman and Batman in the same team. That was fiction rather than a game, of course.

II love playing the melee warrior guy and 3.5 has always bored me because I always feel like I'm just a glorified NPC grunt. 4E balanced it out but it drove a pro-Wizard friend away from our games.

To balance the two, magic-types need more limitations than fighters IMO. I'm speaking from a 1E rather than 3E or 4E perspective, however.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Quoting myself from almost a year ago! In a thread regarding how fantasy literature handles balancing warriors and wizards:

Ways I've seen:

1. Powerful magic is slow, requiring some kind of ritual
  2. There is no such thing as combat/offensive magic
  3. Magic requires mana, which is not a resource anyone has personally in any abundance, so it must be gathered to cast a spell, which takes time and effort...and no mana = no spells
  4. Element of surprise
  5. Magic has limited or no effect on certain materials
  6. Certain substances or rituals can make a person temporarily or permanently incapable of casting magic
  7. Powerful magic is exceedingly rare
  8. Spellcasting is not dependable
  9. Offensive/direct magic requires a "truname" or some physical token of the person targeted
  10. Magic only affects inanimate objects directly
  11. Spellcasters must have their concentration or power reserves overtaxed
  12. Spellcasting requires a focus- amulet, orb, wand, staff, totem, etc.- that, if removed from the caster's control, renders them powerless.
And so forth.

Last edited:

A) There is a game where god wizard is explicitly how it rolls, it is called ars magicka, look into it.
B) Every time i remotely see something like this i have a single question to ask, have you people never bloody read mythology? Like, at all?
Beowulf a perfectly normal non-demigod fighter swims for days on end while conserving his strength and loses the race he's in because he has to fight off a dozen sea monsters.
Hercules, mighty high level character he is picks up mountains for :):):):):) and giggles, Cúchulainn shatters mountains with a single spear thrust and goes super saiyan.

Goldor

First Post
It's because people freak out when a fighter wants to be able to do something like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PCDxS8uJFQ"]Asura's Wrath TGS 2010 Debut Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Levels in my mind work something like this.

Lvl1: You are a couple 13 year old kids who have to run from a mean junkyard dog and can expect to get thrashed by a gang of highwaymen or most other things that you'll laugh at in just a bit.

Lvl2-3: Biblo and the dwarves from the Hobbit. You can deal with a couple goblins and a riddle competition, but despite your 13 member party you need to rely on running away, gimme artifiacts, and a deus-ex-machina NPC to actually survive trolls, spiders and the dragon.

Lvl4-5: Wong-Fei Hong, Miyamoto Mushashi, Sargent York, the Red Baron: You've beaten/killed scores of people in duels or open warfare and are reknowned for it - but most of the crazy tales are documented as having actually happened.

Lvl 6-8: Conan. When they crucify you for piracy, and the buzzards come to gnaw your eyeballs out, you go all Ozzy and bite a vulture's head off for sustenance that you use to fuel your escape and begin your vengance against your captors - and that sort of thing is just a typical week for you. You regularly perform deeds that it's arguable whether they are even humanly possible.

(note, the XP system assumes that above this level an infinite number of 1st level characters is no longer a challenge for you)

Lvl 9-10: Heracles of greek myth. You're a flippin demigod, you pal around with folks who come back from the dead and you kill the toughest beasts of legend. You regularly perform labors so great that each of that attests to the fact you are superhuman.

(And since somebody mentioned it already: I'd put Corwin of Amber on keel with Heracles - he basically just swordfights with superhuman ability, crafts magic guns and has access to a variety of planeshifting artifacts unique to the setting)

Lvl 11-12: The later Slayers anime series, where you can't cast your best spells because they might unravel all of creation and you find out that the fighter's artifact sword is an even bigger deal than most artifacts. Shapeshifting Gold Dragons with class levels and archdemons are legal player characters, on par with the humans.

Lvl 13-16 Marvel Comics: The PCs are nigh-immortal superheros who always find way to win against anyone. Any villain clever enough has found a way to steal/replicate/harness/become a Cosmic Cube or Ultimate Nullifier or similar infinite power loop - if you're on team hero, you're going to have to thwart at least one such plot for omnipotence each year. People may die, but they never ever stay dead.

(Note: above here: the XP system assumes that an infinite number of folks on Heracles power level are no longer a challenge for you)

Level 17-19: DC Comics: Like Marvel Comics, only instead of Spider Man, Captain America and Wolverine being the primary focus characters, the PCs tend to be Superman, Green Lantern and The Flash. The only ways to even challenge PCs at this level is to use their own builds and combos against them (Bizzaro, Black Adam, Sinestro, etc) or to present threats who are already nigh-omnipotent. (Darkseid)

Lvl 20: Santa Claus: You know whether everyone under the age of 12 is naughty or nice all the time, you have a stable of economy-wrecking elves making magic items just for kicks and you can visit every home on the planet in just one evening. You don't fight monsters - you fight things like "selfishness" and "greed" and it's not just quixotic.

Lvl 21+/D&DG: This ELH system breaks into a dozen different infinite combos the minute you look at it, and is not playable without so many houserules that no two groups using it will even be playing the same game. You're just back to playing magical teaparty here.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
Without having to watch the video, I am freaking out when a spellcaster tries something like that either.

The problem is really not the power. The problem is that spellcasters usually get their power much faster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads