• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster Level for Demons and Devils Summoning

MythosaAkira

Explorer
My apologies if this has been asked before (feel free to direct me to the thread if so!).

Most of the time, spell-like abilities for monsters are listed with a designated caster level. If this isn't listed, the description of "spell-like abilities" in the MM glossary states that the create's HD should be used. However...

Many demons and devils have a summon ability (summon baatezu or summon tanar'ri), which is a spell-like ability, but no level is listed. This implies that the caster level of the ability should be taken as the fiend's HD. But they also have a separate feature labelled "Spell-Like Abilities", and in this feature a caster level is listed. My question is: since a level is listed in this area, should that be the caster level used for any spell-like ability possessed by the demon/devil? Or should the interpretation be literal, and since no level is listed for the summoning ability, HD is the way to go?

I have my own preference, but I'm curious as to how this is "supposed" to work (i.e.; what the original intent was).

Thanks!

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
First off, I assume this is for dispelling purposes, yes? I can think of two ways to go...

1. Use the minimum caster level for the ability listed. For instance, I think a Herezou's ability is listed at 4th spell level, so that would be caster level 7. This will probably make the abilities slightly easier to dispel.

2. Use HD- since the calculation for DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + CHA bonus for most abilities, using HD seems logical to me (for PC caster, for instance, this DC would be 10 + spell level + bonus, but we can assume that spell level is roughly 1/2 caster level since that's generally how it advances). Using HD, I think the dispels would be slightly more difficult.

Those are my thoughts. I couldn't really find an "official" ruling.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Yeah, sounds like HD should be the default. I wasn't sure if someone at some point said "We listed the caster level under 'spell-like abilities', so that's what you should use."

Thanks!

ciaran00

Explorer
MythosaAkira said:
Yeah, sounds like HD should be the default. I wasn't sure if someone at some point said "We listed the caster level under 'spell-like abilities', so that's what you should use."

Thanks!
Also, don't forget that summon itself has a spell level if you ever need it (for things like Concentrate).

ciaran

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads