• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster Level of Wands

Gomer212

First Post
A wand listed in the DMG that doesn't have a caster level listed is considered to have a caster level equal to the bare minimum needed to cast the spell. For instance, a wand of Cure Light Wounds has a caster level of 1.

I know this.

You know this.

But where does it say this in the 3.5 DMG? I had a player ask me where this rule is, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.

There is of course the argument that the Base Cost math works out this way (ie, a wand of CLW is 750 gp, that;s 750 base x spell level 1 x caster level 1), but I know I read the rule pretty similarly to how I said it earlier.

Any idea where exactly this rule is printed?

Nezkrul

First Post
wands must be created with at least the minimum required caster level for the spell in them but they can be made at higher levels. The wands on the treasure tables are created at minimum or have a special caster level listed. Look under creating wands in the DMG.

Stormonu

Legend
Here ya go

3.5E DMG said:
Some individual items, notably those that simply store spells and nothing else, don’t get full-blown descriptions. Reference the spell’s description in the Player’s Handbookfor details, modified by the form of the item (potion, scroll, wand, and so on). Assume that the spell is cast at the minimum level required to cast it, unless you choose to make it higher for some reason

Remove ads