D&D 5E Casting multiple spells with bonus spells and the order they are cast.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It says you can't cast any spells besides std-action cantrips, that seems pretty comprehensive.

The question begged, of course, is whether or not reactions are part of your turn. I do not see them described as such, but rather something you can do when their trigger occurs once per round, that timer resetting at the beginning of your turn. Your turn is described as a move, an action, a possible bonus action, and various ancillary things in conjunction with those. A reaction is a special action that can occur on your turn or on someone else's. There's a strong argument that reactions are not part of your turn even if they occur during it.

"A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. . . . You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action" (Basic Rules, 79).

"A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s" (70). Emphasis added.

I don't see any ambiguity.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The question begged, of course, is whether or not reactions are part of your turn.
The rule doesn't seem to care whether it is "part of" your turn, but whether it happens "during" your turn. The timing seem unambiguous, like Cognomen suggests.

dpkress2

First Post
"A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. . . . You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action" (Basic Rules, 79).

"A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s" (70). Emphasis added.

I don't see any ambiguity.

There must be SOME ambiguity, because I can't tell what side you're arguing for.

I might rule based on weather or not a reaction counts as "part of your turn" even if takes place on your turn. I'd probably side with Ovinoamancer.
So the reaction spell can be cast regardless of weather or not it takes place on your turn.

Would this even come into play other than to counterspell a counterspell? If not, I would let them. Kudos to them for actually preparing counterspell.

There must be SOME ambiguity, because I can't tell what side you're arguing for.

I might rule based on weather or not a reaction counts as "part of your turn" even if takes place on your turn. I'd probably side with Ovinoamancer.
So the reaction spell can be cast regardless of weather or not it takes place on your turn.

Would this even come into play other than to counterspell a counterspell? If not, I would let them. Kudos to them for actually preparing counterspell.

DM as thou wilt, but the "part of your turn" requirement is not derived from the rules. The "on your turn" language is the same as that used to describe when actions and movement take place.

It can come into play with a wild-magic sorcerer who wants to counterspell a polymorph or fireball cast by his own surge.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Of course, everyone should play at their table as best for their game. But Jeramy Crawford's ruling is no
Q: Does casting a bonus action spell still allow you to cast a normal spell then still get a reaction spell?
A: Casting a bonus action spell means no other spells that turn but a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
That certainly seems to agree with the rules text, to me.

CapnZapp

Legend
The question begged, of course, is whether or not reactions are part of your turn.
As others have told you, there are no ambiguity or unclarity in the rules. A reaction is always cast on someone's turn.

(Of course, feel free to houserule otherwise.)

If that someone is you, which only happens when you want to counterspell a counterspell, you can't do it if you earlier used your bonus action to cast a spell, since the restriction is still in effect (and Counterspell is not a cantrip).

TL;DR: Sorcerers can't, on any given turn, both quicken and counterspell a counterspell. They need to choose one of these things. Either they get off a cantrip (in addition to their main spell), or they can protect their main spell.

guachi

Hero
A reaction is always cast on someone's turn.

If that someone is you, which only happens when you want to counterspell a counterspell, you can't do it if you earlier used your bonus action to cast a spell, since the restriction is still in effect (and Counterspell is not a cantrip).

You might, for example, cast Shield in response to a Riposte of a melee attack of yours. Saw this happen last week in my game. Using a reaction on your turn is rare, but it does happen.

A reaction is not part of the standard action and bonus action turn event. It is entirely independent from that mechanic.
Wheter the reaction is made during your turn or someone else's turn is irrelevant.

Remove ads