• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Casting Question

Ok, this is an incredibly stupid question, but I just wanted to get some reassurance on this.

When the target of a spell is "Creature Touched" does that mean the caster of the spell can be a target?

I think that he can but I can't find anywhere that seems to indicate it one way or another.

Olaf the Stout

Infiniti2000 said:
Yes. The same answer for targeted spells (like magic missile).

Can you point me to where it says this in the PHB? I'd love to know because I looked for quite a while without any success.

Olaf the Stout

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Olaf the Stout said:
Can you point me to where it says this in the PHB?

What you would require, rather, would be a rule stating that the caster, despite being a creature, is not a valid target for spells that target a creature. There is no such rule.

Also consider that for potions, the drinker is considered both the caster and the target of the spell. If the caster was an invalid target for a spell with a target of 'creature touched', many potions in the DMG would be impossible.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
As Hyp said. Also, as a straw man I think it's ludicrous to hold the position that clerics cannot heal themselves, remove diseases from themselves, etc. The list would be nearly endless.

Infiniti2000 said:
As Hyp said. Also, as a straw man I think it's ludicrous to hold the position that clerics cannot heal themselves, remove diseases from themselves, etc. The list would be nearly endless.

Oh, I agree. I was just surprised that the rules don't state it somewhere.

Then again the PHB has rules for hiding while moving at less than half your normal speed, hiding while moving more than half your normal speed but less than your normal speed, and hiding while attacking, running or charging.

However it doesn't have a rule for hiding while moving at your normal speed! :eek: :confused: So far I'm yet to come across errata or a clarification for it either.

Olaf the Stout

Infiniti2000

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Oh, I agree. I was just surprised that the rules don't state it somewhere.
They have the rule by transitive closure. The spell targets a creature. The caster is a creature. Thus, the spell can target the caster. QED. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads