• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle Greyhawk - Hackmaster or d20

grodog

Hero
I would definitely give more thought to buying the core HM rulebooks if EGG and RJK publish the GH Castle Dungeons for HM.

Breakdaddy

First Post
I bought the core phb and gmg for Hackmaster. I like em a lot, and would love a Castle Greyhawk mod for it. I will *never* sink over 100 dollars into an A-Z monster collection, I dont care how many monsters are in it, so my HM game will be using my old school mm1, mm2, and ff!

Decado

First Post
If I had the extra money I would purchase all of the Hackmaster and Kalamar products as I think they are very well done. If Gygax writes Castle Greyhawk for HM I just may have to say screw the bills and start buying HM!

put me in for d20

As a veteran of 2 mega-d20 conversions (Temple of Elemental Evil, and Masks of Nyarlathotep), I have to say that (1) doing the conversion is not fun, and (2) play-testing the conversion takes FOREVER. Give me d20. If they publish it as Hackmaster I will not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Sayburr

First Post
grodog said:
I will *never* sink over 100 dollars into an A-Z monster collection, I dont care how many monsters are in it, so my HM game will be using my old school mm1, mm2, and ff!

I have to agree with this... Marketing screwed up with that one. It would have been better to go with Hackfactor books (Hackfactor is the same as CR in 3e) doing some for HF 1-4 then working up to the big baddies so you could buy them as your game grew....

But, anyway... The old monster books work fine... all you have to do is add 20 hps to every monster (They said they did this so even an orc is a challenge in Hackmaster, there are no 'throwaway encounters').

But, would Gary and Rob working influence your purchase of Hackmaster?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would buy a "Greyhack" from Gygax and Kuntz without question. Why would I do this, when I do not play Hackmaster?

Because of the devious well of ideas from the fertile imaginations of these two "grandpappys of Rat Bastard DM's" everywhere.

Gary and Rob I believe would not do it unless they could remain fairly true to the source material, and Hackmaster being what it is, they can do this. Monster stats can be replaced as needed by d20 counterparts. Traps can be "d20-ized" as needed. The important thing to mine from a module is not the exact verbatim statistics; it is the ideas, and the concept that Gary and rob finally got out a truer representation of this great original dungeon than what has ever been presented before.

If this is true, and if it does happen, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Let me also go on the record for saying that I loved Ruins of Greyhawk, for it's huge underground empires and its opportunities for being a long-running campaign in and of itself. Contrary to the opinions of its detractors, I found a fairly well-written opus there. It wasn't Gary's Castle, but it was still a well-done work.

Psion

Adventurer
Sayburr said:
1) Would you buy the Hackmaster Rulebooks (GM guide and Player's Guide) so you could play in Gary and Rob's module?

No. Hackmaster is essentially retooled AD&D. I already have AD&D and a version of Castle Greyhawk I would play (Greyhawk Ruins); I could already play that if I wanted to.

2) Would you be more apt to buy the module if it were writen for the d20 system?

Yes... if we are talking a non-jokesy version of Castle Greyhawk (the original Castle Greyhawk was a farce, and I am not into jokesy roleplaying.)

Moxie

First Post
I would buy the module for nostalgia purposes, but not the HM rulebooks. Many times I have:

picked it up in the store,
thumbed through it approvingly,
turned it over and looked on the back at the price,
picked my eyeballs back up off the floor and popped them back into their sockets,
sighed, then placed the bookback on the shelf.

I won't spend that much on a PAPER back book.

johnsemlak

First Post
My understanding is that Hackmaster is basically AD&D with a few minor changes. So, if the module was released in dhackmaster format, shouldn't people who know Ad&D well be able to use it no problem? Would people who know AD&D need to buy HM materials?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads