• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castles are worthless against armies with mages?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Actually the most perplexing thing to me is how many regents were assassinated during the Last War and apparently unable to be risen from the dead. Even though Eberron doesn't have a lot of high-level characters around, you'd think you could convince one of the handful of clerics in your kingdom capable of raising the dead that expending resources on a king or queen is worth it.
If I were Keith "Hellcow" Baker, I would say that there was a special "no resurrections" spell used by both sides to seal the deal after a ruler was taken out. Put a few of those on scrolls and hand them out to assassins -- and failed assassins meant that the spell then propagates through all sides of the Last War -- and you've got a pretty reasonable explanation, I think.

PoorHobo

First Post
Bah! See invisibility has a range of personal, your town watch would have to be composed of 10th level wizards :p thats out I guess. See invisibilty doesn't come up till the rocks start falling.

Pergentile

Explorer
@ Whizbang, your arguments would be more valid if you provided examples. As in, "You can get a lot more bang for your gold piece in countless other ways." If there are so many ways, name some that don't assume specific variables that are easily debatable.
Also, you are assuming there are these tribes of orcs/barbarians/etc that are available to be hired to cause havoc, or that any of the wizards available are "Geniuses".
In fact, all your arguments make considerably more assumptions then any other poster so far... you want to make your arguments a bit more viable by cutting down those assumptions? Maybe justify the statements you make, hmm?

Dandu

First Post
I don't know, if my goal was to overrun a kingdom, and not to engage in some sort of spectacular set-piece of "let's wtfpwn this castle," I'd say getting the barbarian/orc/hobgoblin horde to sweep across the kingdom and raze it to the ground would be a lot more practical than spending the same amount of resources to fight it out with the wizards of the enemy over one small area.
Just curious, but do you know anything about the logistics of warfare, military strategy, or anything of the sort, or are you just going off of Hollywood tactics?

Offhand, I can see a problem with your horde. An army marches on its stomach, so the horde will require food. Where does it get food? Supply lines can be overextended and vulnerable (see, Napoleon in Russia), so you'd have to try and supply the army with food locally.

Strategic food production areas tend to be defended. This might necessitate a siege at a choke point, or something like that.

Of course, I don't know anything about military tactics, so if you feel this to be an issue, we can both admit we're talking out of our rears on this issue and discount it.

Uh, no, they presumably would do the same thing -- since screwing around with aerial magic shows over the castle is about the least productive way to use magical geniuses, which at least one of them would eventually point out.
Perhaps it is; I'm not a tactician so I wouldn't know. I thought it would have been a good way of dropping projectiles larger than a trebuchet could handle on an enemy fortification, as well as inflicting morale damage on the enemy.

Uh, we're not engaged in any sort of battle here.

I just think the notion of staging some sort of superhero battle with wizards is unlikely. The Mage: The Awakening style of wizards, liches and the like acting with a great deal of advance planning, surgical strikes and with a ridiculous escalation of counter-measures and counter-counter-measures is a lot more likely. If I've learned how to even do something as relatively simple as fling a fireball, I'm going to know that being the target of such a thing is something I want to avoid at all costs. Anyone who tells me "hey, take this boulder, shrink it, cast Protection from Normal Missles, Fly and Invisibility and go drop it on a bunch of idiots in a castle" is getting turned into a frog.
So, if he had added "And Resist Energy", he'd be a normal human?

A single NPC adventuring group doesn't require wizards willing to do the equivalent of the sort of adventures PCs go on all the time to be anything more than uncommon. A battalion of flying invisible boulder-droppers is a lot more wizard-intensive.
Who said anything about a battalion? Making a large amount of shrunken boulders doesn't require an army of wizards given the 1day/level duration.

It is for an army, since that 4,000 gold piece for each ring could buy a whole lot of foot soldiers. Heck, that'd probably be enough to get a whole tribe of Easterlings/neanderthals/gnolls or whatever tearing up the countryside.
I say, therefore, that the arms with which a prince defends his state are either his own, or they are mercenaries, auxiliaries, or mixed. Mercenaries and auxiliaries are useless and dangerous; and if one holds his state based on these arms, he will stand neither firm nor safe; for they are disunited, ambitious, and without discipline, unfaithful, valiant before friends, cowardly before enemies; they have neither the fear of God nor fidelity to men, and destruction is deferred only so long as the attack is; for in peace one is robbed by them, and in war by the enemy. The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you. They are ready enough to be your soldiers whilst you do not make war, but if war comes they take themselves off or run from the foe; which I should have little trouble to prove, for the ruin of Italy has been caused by nothing else than by resting all her hopes for many years on mercenaries, and although they formerly made some display and appeared valiant amongst themselves, yet when the foreigners came they showed what they were. Thus it was that Charles, King of France, was allowed to seize Italy with chalk in hand; and he who told us that our sins were the cause of it told the truth, but they were not the sins he imagined, but those which I have related. And as they were the sins of princes, it is the princes who have also suffered the penalty.
Because, remember, you'd need one of those rings for each of your wizards and the wizards would cost more besides.
Well, at most we'd need one for every wizard who goes flying, but that doesn't have to be a large amount.

Just to clarify: Do you mean that wizards cost more to hire? Well, that may be true, but they also come with their own wealth, which includes things like magical items.
It's still a very showy and not terribly productive way to wage magical war. You can get a lot more bang for your gold piece in countless other ways.
Let us agree that, if nothing else, there are many terrific offensive uses of magic against a castle.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
@ Whizbang, your arguments would be more valid if you provided examples. As in, "You can get a lot more bang for your gold piece in countless other ways." If there are so many ways, name some that don't assume specific variables that are easily debatable.
I guess we're pretty far from the wargaming roots of D&D if my point seems opaque.

1) Hire mercenaries
2) Buy siege weapons
3) Hire assassins
4) Hire adventurers
5) Buy off the enemy with financial and diplomatic incentives

And "easily debatable" isn't any sort of standard for proof, since this is the Internet, and people will argue that the sky isn't blue.

Also, you are assuming there are these tribes of orcs/barbarians/etc that are available to be hired to cause havoc, or that any of the wizards available are "Geniuses".
Well, if the idea is that we're using the standard D&D universe -- what's been the assumption for this entire thread -- the world is elbow-deep in humanoid tribes.

And look at what it takes to cast any of the spells that are being talked about here. Only the slow kids on Shrink Item duty have a mere 130 IQ. Everyone else involved is much smarter, or they wouldn't be able to cast the spells at all.

Maybe justify the statements you make, hmm?
Sorry, I was assuming a basic familiarity with the Players Handbook and Monster Manual. Mea culpa.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just curious, but do you know anything about the logistics of warfare, military strategy, or anything of the sort, or are you just going off of Hollywood tactics?
I do, in fact, know a decent amount about actual war, which is why I'm arguing against Hollywood tactics.

Offhand, I can see a problem with your horde. An army marches on its stomach, so the horde will require food. Where does it get food? Supply lines can be overextended and vulnerable (see, Napoleon in Russia), so you'd have to try and supply the army with food locally.
Which is, of course, how hordes have always done it and why it's more frightening for the defenders to deal with than a bunch of wizards, ultimately. If a handful of wizards attack, you mostly have to worry about them scurrying off with the pipeweed and spellbooks when they're done. The invading army of orcs wipes out everything in the kingdom, so even if you ultimately win, your country is devastated.

If I'm an evil magocrat, that's the way I'd want to go: Make it so expensive to win that no one is willing to stand up to me.

Perhaps it is; I'm not a tactician so I wouldn't know. I thought it would have been a good way of dropping projectiles larger than a trebuchet could handle on an enemy fortification, as well as inflicting morale damage on the enemy.
There are definite ways for a mage to be more effective than a catapult or what have you. You can also kill a cockroach with a shotgun, but it doesn't make it a reasonable use of resources.

The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you.
Except, you know, for all those countless times it's actually happened in the real world.

Just to clarify: Do you mean that wizards cost more to hire? Well, that may be true, but they also come with their own wealth, which includes things like magical items.
The better-equipped/higher CR wizard you want to hire, the more said wizard is going to want to charge, and that's without factoring in the cost of spell components or charged items.

Let us agree that, if nothing else, there are many terrific offensive uses of magic against a castle.
I would never disagree on this.

Dandu

First Post
And "easily debatable" isn't any sort of standard for proof, since this is the Internet, and people will argue that the sky isn't blue.
Technically, it's not the sky that's blue but the light bouncing off of molecular oxygen in the atmosphere, which refracts most optimally at wavelengths of 340-450 nanometers, otherwise known as blue light.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Just an observation: With a fantasy army, that's a requirement that will depend upon the exact makeup of your forces.

Clerics can provide sustenance for small cadres of elite troops with magic.

Some will not need to eat as often as others- like reptiles- while others may need to feed MORE often.

Some will be able to feed themselves due to alien metabolisms: plant, mineral, or elemental beings, for instance.

Some may not need food at all- constructs- while others may have very specialized diets. Drakes in Harry Turtledove's Darkness series needed cinnabar to fuel their breath weapons.

Some you need only turn loose to fight and they will feed- animals, undead.

Remove ads