• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castles & Crusades Challenge Ratings

Ariddrake

First Post
I really like CnC and in reminds me alot of the Basic Red dnd book I used to play when I first got into RPGs. One of the things that impressed me whem 3rd ed dnd came out was the Challenge ratings ( I know they are not perfect) for creatures. Does anybody have a system like this for CnC so you don't have to eyeball it so much? I just got the Monster & Treasure book today. Thanks. :)

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think any attempt to create a CR system for C&C is going to be flawed. For starters, there isn't a consistent party level. An "8th level" party might have an 8th level party, a 9th level rogue, and a 7th level wizard in it. So, any CR system would have to be based on XP, not level. One of the advantages of 3rd edition, IMHO.

But even 3rd edition's CR system has problems. 3 shadows are not tough, but 20 shadows can take down even a high level party. 3 orcs are not too tough, and 20 orcs are not exponentially tougher, unlike the shadows. So, even that system could use some work.

In the end, I think the best CR system is called GM experience. A good GM can gauge what is too difficult for his party.

Ariddrake

First Post
Thanks for the reply. I just remember reading someone had a pretty good baseline for challenges that involed comparing hitpoints but I can't seem to find where this was located again.

S'mon

Legend
I'm thinking of using Challenge Ratings (where CR = decent challenge for party of roughly that level), maybe 100 XP CR 1, 200 2nd, 400 3rd etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads