(Casual D&D IV) A Knight for a Pawn

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk's brow furrowed as he learned of Exantrius being attacked by the hobgoblin shaman. It was a subject he would have to raise later with Fendric.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Shavah interrupts Fendric occasionally to correct a few missed or misspoken details in Fendric's rush to speak -- the name Aesop Rhandoril, that it was a tribe of humans met before crossing the mountains, and, in the most detail, the situation in Bethel: That the Visach and the ruling government had approved a perimeter of Undead around the city supplied by the temple of Wee Jas, that it was the secular militia who had (ostensibly) kidnapped Father Premule and initiated the conflict with the Heironean Guard, and that the involvement of the Cult of Nerull was unclear.

Fendric said:
I trust in the Radiant Light, as I am certain you do in the Cudgel, that what we do is of benefit to the good of all of us in common. I hope it is so, in fact. But would not you also be suspicious of such a chain of events?

"I would, and I am," answers Kethett, after some consideration. "But I am with you in believing that these letters are meant for the common good... From what you've said, it's hard to draw any conclusions about Thedoric having turned from justice, or not... Even if he has, well, if this Exantrius was truthful about his wishes to stop Thedoric, then these letters must have been written before his turn... I suppose..."

Helifts his head, bowing it from side to side as though he were mixing his thoughts, then sighs.

"In the end, the letter bears Lord Thedoric's name, and that alone is enough for me to trust it... It would take very strong evidence for me to reasonably do otherwise. I am, nonetheless, troubled."

He nods softly, then folds the letter, and tucks it away. "Thank you, though, for your patience and honesty, and, ah... devotion to your cause. I will remember what you've told me, and I will consider it carefully. The letter will be well-scoured for signs of forgery, I can guarantee that much. And I'll find out what I can about Thedoric, and this Exantrius fellow, as well."

He pauses for a moment, mouth clenched.

"I suppose all of my questions have been answered, then. Do you have anything you'd like to ask me, or anything to add to what you've said? Or shall we shake hands and part?"

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric once again shakes Kethett's hand.

"Only that if you should need to speak to us any more, I am capable of receiving and sending clerical messages. If you have clerics or something else with that capability, that is, Sir. I would also be happy to supply specific information as we remember it, and I apologize that my memory is not ironclad.

I trust that we can find lodging here in Despia tonight, then, before we seek out Anders Peltram in Valsport. From our own coin of course. Also, would there be available some parchment?

Thank you very much for your cooperation. This is a much better place for our tastes than the Glades.
"

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Fendric said:
Only that if you should need to speak to us any more, I am capable of receiving and sending clerical messages. If you have clerics or something else with that capability, that is, Sir. I would also be happy to supply specific information as we remember it, and I apologize that my memory is not ironclad.

"Oh! On that matter, I recommend you visit the monument to the Order of Just Unity... Have you seen it yet?" He pauses for a moment, considering the implications. "And are you aware of Thedoric's history in this city?"

"In any case... The monument, it happens to be a special thing: It is enchanted so that prayers whispered before it shall reach the ears of the nearest Knight of Just Unity. Now, this is a fact we try to keep from spreading around, to save the good Knights from, well, petty grievances and childish pranks... Prayers are much more honest when those who speak them are unsure that anyone is listening, don't you think? But you might want to use it, it may be advisable for you to use it for more practical purposes. I wouldn't expect too much from it -- do take care and consider that Thedoric may be the nearest Knight of Union -- but it may be useful to you."

"As for our own communication, I'll make arrangements for that by tomorrow morning... You will stop by again by then, won't you? I should have a stronger sense about this letter's authenticity, by then."

Fendric said:
I trust that we can find lodging here in Despia tonight, then, before we seek out Anders Peltram in Valsport. From our own coin of course. Also, would there be available some parchment?

"Anders Peltram, you say?" Brother Aramil blinks twice, then huffs with contempt. "I've heard the name -- he's a notorious scoundrel, and a nuisance. Seems like every time we catch a smuggler trying to pull something through our territory, he ends up being involved. Of course, they don't try it often, but over the years, well, you get to know the names, and you get to be frustrated with the authorities in Valsport who let them continue on with their trouble."

He finishes grumbling, then softens his tone.

"Now, as for lodging and the like, I don't want to hear another mention of your own coin -- we have gold allotted for diplomatic couriers and guests of official duty, and I think you qualify as that much at least. Wait downstairs, I'll ask someone to come down to make arrangements. Parchment we can also spare -- how much do you need?"

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric is almost embarrassed by his mention of parchment.

(Congratulations on your trivial request, Fendric.)

"Oh... just a few sheets should do nicely, sir. I am not a prolific scroll writer, but it seems a waste of... one's diety's good graces to let a spell go unslung, no?"

Fendric casts his eyes downward, fully aware of the petty request he made of such an important man.

Hiritus, heretofore unheard from during the discussion, decides to intervene. "It's all right, really, Brother Aramil. You don't need to trouble yourself about it."

Festy_Dog

First Post
The talk of parchment wasn't a highlight of the conversation for Nurthk. He was under the impression things were now winding down, although he felt there was more to hear on the subject. He leaned back against the wall now, and pondered on what was said.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Brother Aramil smiles off the awkwardness, and sees you out the door. Fendric does indeed get a healthy roll of parchment, and the Chief Officer of Affairs once again encourages you to return in the morning.

On the way out of the building and back into the town, which has grown busier with the coming day, Shavah leans over to Nurthk:

"Quiet in there... Moreso than usual," she says, with a soft smile. "Intimidated?"

Tatlock, for his part, has more trivial curiosities. "What was that over on the table, Mister Raven?" He blinks his eyes over to Oliver as well, not sure from whom to expect an answer. "It looked like a game."

(Also, now that you've accomplished another party goal, it's time for XP:

Oliver: 1450
Fendric: 1400
Xiao: 1350
Nurthk: 1250
Raven: 1200
)

dpdx

Explorer
Hiritus, much more talkative outside the seat of government than in, looks over at Fendric and chuckles.

"Parchment... have you gone crazy?"

Fendric finishes stuffing the sheath of parchment in his pack, in time to cast a disapproving look at his cohort.

"You might be glad I had asked for it when next I run out of the Radiant Light's divine provenance, Brother. As it is, I had planned to scribe the rest of my healing magic today to give to the Temple of St. Cuthbert, here, as penance for my prior acts, one might say."

"Oh! Well, yes, one might say. That's certainly generous of you. I hope they'll use it. I hope even more they'll let you walk into the Temple after today."

"Do you believe that I would be refused entry?"

"No... it doesn't matter. Even then, I'm sure they'd at least meet you outside."

"You have grown much more cynical from when you first joined us, Brother Hiritus."

"I've noticed. I suppose that's the effect of the journey on me. Then again, I haven't been assaulted by waves of woodland creatures. But I was there at the roundtable at Father Yattro's, and since the problem in Bethel."

Fendric looks away, briefly. "Is that the Monument to the Order of Just Unity?"

Hiritus looks around. "I don't know. But over there's an inn, by the looks of it."

DrZombie

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
Tatlock, for his part, has more trivial curiosities. "What was that over on the table, Mister Raven?" He blinks his eyes over to Oliver as well, not sure from whom to expect an answer. "It looked like a game."

"It is a game, of sorts. But a game that is taken very seriously by those who play it. It is a game that has nothing to do with luck, it's purely based on skill and insight. They say loosing a game of Knights feels like dying a little. But then again, it doesn't have any archers, so I say to hell with that"

Festy_Dog

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
"Quiet in there... Moreso than usual," she says, with a soft smile. "Intimidated?"

"Heh..." Nurthk smiles back awkwardly, "You could say that. He probably doesn't know anything about it, but I didn't want to take a chance. Figured it'd be best to keep my mouth shut."

Despia was a nice place, but this place's success only made his own failure seem worse.

Remove ads