• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D IV) A Knight for a Pawn

Guilt Puppy

First Post
(OOC: Regarding time of day, about an hour after sunset.)

"I don't doubt any of that," says the guard, flatly, "but you can't walk the city so armed. That's the Tourne's law, not mine, and it's not mine to negotiate, either. Even if I let you into the gate, you'd be locked up the first time a guard came across you, understand?"

Turning toward Oliver: "If you want to go emissary inward, unarmed, I'll scarve you and direct you to the nearest vogtma- ...sheriff's stationing. It's not far, and you won't be away for long. They'll likely grant an offer to hold your weapons while you are in town."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk snorted in amusement as he caught the two-handed sword. He meandered over to a comfortable looking tree stump and sat upon it, ready to wait.

Sparky

It takes Oliver a while to divest himself of weapons. He grins weakly as he pulls dagger after dagger from the folds of his clothing. "I, uh, it's a rough road we travel," he offers by way of recognition. He stows the daggers and his shortswords in Bastrop's pack saddle, then lashes the crossbow to Whistler's saddle. He claps his hands together, dusting them off, "All right. We're ready."

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric, by now impatient with the dealings further forward, walks up to Nurthk, Oliver, Raven and the Town Watch, his flail and shield having been stashed in a saddlebag aboard Justice, but his sash still prominent atop the mantle he wears.

"Light Be With You, gentlemen! I am Brother Fendric of Hedrogura," he offers by way of greeting to the watchmen.

Looking at his compatriots, he asks:

"Comrades, are we making rest in this town?"

Sparky

Oliver holds up a forestalling hand to the guards and turns to Fendric, "Yes. It's well past sundown and we're travelling in an unfamiliar land," he glances meaningfully up at the walls."I appreciate your sense of urgency, Fendric, but would you mind stepping back with the others and waiting - quietly - with the others?"

dpdx

Explorer
Sparky said:
Oliver holds up a forestalling hand to the guards and turns to Fendric, "Yes. It's well past sundown and we're travelling in an unfamiliar land," he glances meaningfully up at the walls."I appreciate your sense of urgency, Fendric, but would you mind stepping back with the others and waiting - quietly - with the others?"
Fendric grimaces at Oliver and says, wryly: "Certainly, Oliver. Be sure to let us know when we have your permission to proceed."

Spinning on his heel, he walks back toward Hiritus.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Sparky said:
"Though it looks like you're expecting trouble...?" He looks off over his shoulder first one way and then the other as he trails off, searching for whatever trouble they may be on the lookout for.

"We're on locked duty since the fighting broke out in Malita," he says. Sensing this is news, he adds: "Happened the same day the Sails crossed on Eivanrach. Not an apt coincidence, but anyway, nothing we want coming into the Tourne."

Heading forward into the city, Oliver and Raven find it doesn't take long to find the vogt's offices, and there it takes only mention of the letters' recipients to gain storage for your weapons. Back at the entrance to town, the guards lead you to a cellar beneath the gatehouse, a dimly-lit stone room about fifteen feet square where five large chests rest awkwardly in a corner. They give you a key to one and leave you in privacy (surprisingly) to deposit your disallowed goods within.

(Based on the guards' description, simple light melee weapons are acceptable -- although they request Oliver limit himself to carrying two daggers -- as are slings and darts, but any other weaponry is forbidden. Metal armor and all shields are also disallowed. The chest is quite large, there are a few lengths of chain hanging from hooks on the wall which can be used to secure oversized items to the lock, if need be -- in other words, with careful packing you should be quite able to store all your things.)

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk looks mildly irritated as he removes his chain shirt and places it into the container.

"If there was ever an ideal moment to get the drop on us..." he grumbles to those close by.

Minus his larger weaponry and armour he is left with a pair of silvered daggers. He leaves them under his coat and behind his back and contemplates buying a pair of normal daggers if possible while in town.

dpdx

Explorer
Meanwhile, back OUTSIDE the walls...

Fendric paces around, agitated, but nonetheless looking around vigilantly, as if he expects something to attack the Company of the White Dove while two of its stalwart fighters are in town "making arrangements."

Hiritus watches Fendric stew and worry, while chuckling softly to himself.

"We're probably all right, here, Brother. It is pretty close to the town gate..."

"Nerull's Bunions! They are certainly taking long enough! We are as vulnerable here as we would be in that cave!

Well, perhaps not.

Cylantro! That spell you do, the one about the small bungelow for the night, is it available to you once per night?
"

Before Cylantro can answer, the guards signal the group forward. Hiritus disappears with Justice behind a tree, and returns alone to join the others into the cellar. He is carrying Fendric's armor and shield, plus his own.

"Justice; she didn't think it was right to have our gear separate from the others."

Last edited:

Remove ads