• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D V) The Tourne

Guilt Puppy

First Post
When everyone is seated, Piersen stands abruptly at attention. "Lord Kildre Vemaunt," he announces, loudly a over-pronounced. One of the frontmost guards turns and releases a small level; the curtain pulls back abruptly, with a sense of great weight to it. There is a great flurry of clinking sounds, like raindrops on steel: It seems that the curtain is woven over a sheet of chain.

Behind it is a man in his middle-fifties, clean-shaven with heavy eyebrows, hair greying but still dark. He is ornately costumed in red, white, and gold. Torches to either side give life to his jewelry, which cannot be counted. He is standing, palms open, like a performer or orator preparing to address his audience.

"Greetings," is his only address. It is practiced but a bit too quietly spoken. He clasps his hands. "I am to understand you have a message for me?"

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric rises, and bows. "Your Eminence, I am Brother Fendric of Hedrogura, servant of the Radiant Light, and most of us here assembled make up the Fellowship of the White Dove.

I bear an urgent message for you, that I have lately come to find out is from Lord Thedoric of our kingdom, though I was charged to deliver these messages not by him but by someone representing himself as Sir Exantrius, a knight of some renown in our kingdom.
"

Fendric searches his pockets for the letter. Hiritus looks on expectantly, then identifies a pocket by pointing to it. Fendric, relieved, produces the letter and hands it out at arm's length outward to Lord Kildre, as if expecting Piersen or someone to forbid him approaching the regent directly.

"I understand further that the message contains arcane magic meant to conceal its message from none but your eyes only.

But I can tell you further on my own, Your Eminence, that a force of brigands is ravaging our land, and several of our major cities are under siege. Chances are that this message I hold for you concerns that fight, and I pray that it doesn't spill over into the Tourne. But it may, and at some point, Lord Thedoric prepared messages for his closest friends. Yours is the next to last, the last being for a noble by the name of Rienne Vaustus.

If any of us may answer questions you have about the letter and the other recipients, we would be happy to do so.
"

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk barely concealed his astonishment. How important was this man, relative to the image he had of himself? Guards and security were important, but if he didn't have the capability to defend himself then what kind of leader was he? Was he even carrying a weapon?

The weight of Vemaunt's expensive clothing and jewellery seemed to take its toll on Nurthk's face, pulling it into a frown. In a nutshell, he was unimpressed, but as he often did he left talking to those more prudent with their choices of words. Apart from the food Nurthk couldn't think of anything nice to say.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Lord Vemaunt steps forward, taking the letter gingerly from Fendric -- taking seeming care to avoid even the risk of touching hands.

"You serve well," he says, but it is perfunctory. "Though I was never acquainted with Lord Thedoric. Sir Vaustus may have been. He has not always been particular to his crest."

He takes a step away, toward his original position.

"Is your arrival unexpected to Sir Vaustus as well? I shall arrange your delivery. You may not find by fortune him to be so welcomely availed as I. How do you travel?"

He raises his eyebrows in question. To Nurthk's distaste, he seems (fortunately, most likely) oblivious.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Vemaunt nods. "I shall arrange travel by carriage in convoy. It would be quicker travel, and you'd have the crown's protection. Is this amicable to your charge and will?"

dpdx

Explorer
"Indeed it would, Your Excellence. You are most kind," Fendric answers, Hiritus nodding his agreement.

"While I am thinking of it, is there any service we might render to this caravan?"

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"We should call for no service but that which you bring already," he responds, a certain deliberate kindness to his voice. "And for that service, I commend you."

He smiles, then folds his hands.

"I shall bid you fare well, then. Sir Piersen shall assure that you find yourselves on the soonest route to Perlech. May the travel be kind to you."

He bows, and abruptly the curtain closes again, with a somewhat unpleasant clatter. Sir Piersen steps forward and beckons you to follow.

(Anything else you wish to do here before travelling? Piersen informs you that you should arrive in Perlech on your fifth day of travel.)

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric leans in toward Sir Piersen as they follow, and says, "Lord Vemaunt was most kind to grant us an audience on such short notice; would you please be sure to relay our gratitude when next you speak with him?"

Hiritus, nearby, nods his assent before calling back to the group, "Did anyone else need supplies for their horses?"

Remove ads