Casual Player, Casual Roleplaying, Sucking the Wonder Away

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Well, things worked and they didn't work.

Because the group was underground on a bodyguarding gig, I didn't have a lot of time to do pointed roleplaying on Paula's character until that was over, and that was the latter half of the game. The first half focused on the other charactesr, which was only fair and just.

But, during the second half, the party got out from the danger zone and back into the Cogs (industrial area under the metropolis of Sharn). They found a bar so their charge could have an ale (it had been a rather intense time for the lad) and Paula's character sang and entertained the hard-boiled foundary workers with her singing. She chatted up the drunken innkeeper, gathered a bit of info, and generally had a decent time.

Back at her usual haunt of an inn, she did indeed get a letter from one of the local theaters, asking her to audition, and I LARPed a bit of a fangirl fellow bard that was super-enthused about it and told her this was her big break. Paula seemed quite pleased about it, but I couldn't quite get her to move her emotions out of second gear, tops.

Ah well, there's always next time. I'm going to move her character's rise to fame into higher gear along with all the attendant problems that will bring. There's going to be a lot of e-mailing back and forth between the group to resolve some individual story lines so I don't have to make people wait at the table. I think she'll be a little more open in writing perhaps (because I know she likes to write) and be willing to emote a little more on the page.

(Lord, I sound like a director or something. "Show me some emotion people! This is supposed to be a tragedy!" "Uh... what's my motivation again?" *headslap*) This whole interlude is more comical to me than anything else now. At least I can let off some steam here. Thanks guys. If you have any more advice for trying to engage this character some more please let me know.

Specifically, this is what I have ready:

Paula's character will go to the theater and audition for some parts. Being unknown, they'll have her take some small parts, but practice to understudy some of the larger roles. A mystery of stolen items and eventual murder will surface, catapulting her into a leading role and her friends to find the murderer even as the play must go on. Into the mix, her possessive husband will hear of her and come looking for her, adding a personal complication to an already tangled situation.

More details to follow, I hope the e-mailings go well.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Mallus said:
re: the "hiding out badly in Sharn" thing. Where you see her character's actions as problematic, I see the next few adventures writing themselves.

Exactly my thoughts. I have come to realize that I actually have too much meta plot in my games. The PCs are, more and more, just along for the ride. My next games, I hope, are going to much more character driven.

Mallus

Legend
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Well, things worked and they didn't work.
I'd say things worked smashingly, and you're well on the way towards a game that both you and Paula enjoy. And the future story arc for her sounds good. Just remember to be flexible as the in-game events play out. As the old gamer adage goes; "Plans never survive contact with the PC's".

Keep us posted.

Remove ads