Cauldron Born Questions

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
@RangerWickett - In your original draft of the adventure for Cauldron Born (in the Campaign Guide), it says that Alexander Grappa sends the party off hunting for a golem eye that provides the key to enter the Cauldron Hill complex.

Where did you plan for that golem eye to be found?

I ask only because I plan to add this element back into the campaign (to serve as a buffer adventure between installments 4 and 5), and have some thoughts about how I might do so, but thought I would get an idea of how you anticipated it might work prior to its removal.

(My own idea is that it is a missing eye from the bronze golem, and that it was found by some subterranean creature after the golem pieces had been collected by Team B. The mission would be a dungeon-crawl style quest that takes place prior to the events of adventure 5 as written. This would also mean that the party have to take Grappa with them on their mission to the facility because his eyes provide a kind of 'key-code' for entry.)

Furthermore, I am also planning to add Wolfgang von Recklinghausen back in to the piece during this adventure, as until now I had him hanging around in Flint (and he might be needed to stitch the PCs' limbs back on after their encounter with Lya Jierre...). My plan is that he is contacted by the Ob and approaches the PCs (as per the draft) but is frightened away from Flint by the arrival of Andrei just before the meeting takes place. (To give the party that frustrating sense of almost having pulled a fast one on the Ob.)

Andrei will come to Flint in the company of Isobel Travers, most probably, so the PCs will feel slightly responsible too.

I am hoping that this does not step too heavily on the toes of later adventures in the sense that Andrei can still be captured off-screen, and Wolfgang can still be pursued/approached by the Ob in later adventures, my preemption notwithstanding.

If anything, it may be that Andrei finds documents pertaining toe Wolfgang's planned meeting, heads to the meeting himself and is captured then and there. Or does his capture have to be under specific circumstances?

Thanks.

Last edited:

I HAVE NO IDEA.

Seriously, none at all. I have no recollection what the eye was supposed to be for. Maybe something to do with restoring the memory of Borne? My own mind apparently is missing some memories.

We pushed Wolfgang to adventure 6, since he was headed toward Ber, and that adventure occurs there. (But he's a bit player.) Andrei shows up already in control of the Ob in adventure 7. Isobel _might_ make an appearance in 8, but I don't have anything planned for it.

I like your eye idea.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Well, it sounds like everything will work out reasonably well as I had planned without upsetting subsequent adventures.

(I'm already having to alter some of Cauldron Born because of stuff we've done in the past: Team B as written were disbanded by our unit leader and posted out of Flint! And we've kind of done the 'Lorcan Kell gets to kill everybody' too, so I'm redesigning some of the adventure in response.)

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Funny that you can't remember what you had planned. Brains are weird.

Remove ads