• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

skinnydwarf

Explorer
"Cave of Forgotten Dreams" is a 3D documentary about the cave where the oldest cave paintings known have been found. The 3D views were really incredible. I'm not a big 3D fan, but its use in this film was breathtaking. Right from the beginning, you almost feel like you are in the cave. There were times when it felt like I could just reach out and feel the moisture creating the stalagmites. Of course being the D&D fan I am, half of my enjoyment was staring at amazing cave scenes in 3D!

It wasn't a perfect movie by any means. I would have preferred more context about the life of prehistoric man instead of some of the subjects they focused on outside the cave. Also, there were some odd scenes, such as a man playing the Star Spangled Banner on a replica prehistoric flute and a bizarre postscript about mutant albino crocodiles. With those caveats, I recommend it, especially to D&D and other fantasy RPG players to get a little bit of a sense what it is really like in the caves our adventurers spend so much time in. :)

My mind was racing during the film, coming up with ideas to use in my game. I imagined prehistoric humans in a fantasy world painting, in addition to natural animals, dragons, beholders, or perhaps the drow that plague them from the depths.

One of the most stunning parts of the film is when we see what is presumably an altar on which the skull of a cave bear was placed, facing towards the cave entrance. Ashes surround it, which may be evidence of incense burned there. I imagined my PCs coming across such a scene when they discover a previously shut off cave system.

Has anyone else seen this movie and been inspired to create for D&D and other fantasy games? What did you come up with?

Link for the lazy: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDiQ1lvBbr0]YouTube - ‪Cave of Forgotten Dreams Trailer 2011 HD‬‏[/ame]

Isn't there a card game based on cave art?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads