Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
"Wow, I didn't know that. If there are other creatures who have an aversion to light, I should take note of that when we encounter them."

JimAde

First Post
The group advances into the cave, following Sirius. They move somewhat slowly as Lucas is still dividing his attention between his surroundings and the visions provided by his arcane eye. As they leave the daylight behind, Girble is pleased to note that he can see nearby things quite clearly, but a sudden veil is drawn over anything more than 20 or 30 paces distant*.

The group moves through the outer cave, finally reaching the point where the floor rises sharply toward the ceiling. With Lucas's warning in mind, all look warily for webbing between the floor and roof. Sure enough, the sharp-eyed Donnybrook spots it first, when Sirius is only a few feet from the top of the rise, about to walk right into the outlying strands.

[sblock]Sirius Spot roll: 3+2=5 vs. DC 20 - 4 (warning) = 16, Donnybrook's Spot roll: 10+14=24. Didn't bother to roll for anybody else once there was a success.[/sblock]

Lord Raven: You can be moving the arcane eye at half-speed during this time (since you're dividing your attention). Where do you want to send it?

*Halflings have small paces. ;)

Ferrix

Explorer
"Ah... right, was just making sure my axe was sharp enough for those dullards inside," Sirius comments with his characteristic humor, "glad you keep an eye out for me. Now what do we do about it? Slash through it?" With this he hefts his axe with a grin on his face.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
"I wouldn't think so." Grimble thinks for a bit, "Assuming they're somewhere on the huge web, wouldn't that immediately alert them of our presence? Well, unless we're okay with this breach of stealth."

JimAde

First Post
As the group stands discussing the issue, Lucas extends his awareness down the pit 50 paces or so beyond their position.
Spoiler for Lord Raven:
[sblock]The shaft goes straight down about 50 feet and widens into what looks like a natural chamber. When you move the arcane eye down into it, you see that the chamber is about 30 feet wide and has no apparent exits. The floor of the chamber is covered with a slimy layer of filth. Apparently this is some sort of toilet/trash can. Even from your current position you're getting a faint whiff of it. Once you get closer the smell should be remarkable.[/sblock]
Just as he is about to relate what he has seen, Donnybrook's finely-tuned senses again alert everyone to danger. A faint scuttling quickly rises until you all clearly hear a flurry of scraping stone. Something big is coming toward you fast.

Due to Donnybrook's inhumanly high Spot and Listen modifiers he can shout a warning which will prevent the approaching attacker from getting a surprise round. The creature starts this round just outside darkvision range, approaching from the far side of the web sheet off to the left (North), coming from the adjacent chamber I mentioned Lucas seeing earlier.

Initiatives:
Donnybrook: 15+4=19
Lucas: 11+6=17
Unknown Thing: 15
Girble: 7+5=12
Erethinol: 4+4=8
Sirius: 1+1=2

Actions?

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius hefts his shield and falls into a defensive position until he knows what's going on.

OOC: Combat Expertise for 5, whatever it is is my dodge target, AC 32, Ready action to strike something if it gets near me. +10 adamantine waraxe (1d10+7, 19-20/x3)

Ranger Rick

First Post
Donnybrook notches an arrow and prepares to fire three arrows.

OOC: +12/12/9 1d8 +2 damage (additional +2 against vermin & drow)
I will be offline till Monday.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Lucas opens his eye when he hears his friends warning, drawing his wand from his right hip Lucas points it in the direction of the unknown threat

OOC: Move Action to draw the Wand, Lucas then readies an action to activate the wand, once he can see what the threat is.

Remove ads