• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cbas_10's 3.x Rules

Cbas_10

First Post
I've had a handful of house rules and alterations to D&D that I've been wanting to make as a standard in my games. I plan on presenting this package to my group pretty soon. Not sure if we will go 4th edition as a group or what will happen. In any case, I want to try some changes. I'm putting it here to see if there are any immediate "wow, cool!" or "holy crap, that's horrible!" reactions while I tweak it before discussing it with the group.

There are only a small number of changes that affect how the game plays; most of the rest is about character set-up and advancement.

Cbas_10

First Post
Classes, Feats, and other Character Creation Bits

• Character Traits: Players may choose up to two character traits (as per the Unearthed Arcana) at 1st level and may choose a third at 10th level. Characters are not required to take these traits.
  • Flaws: Players may select flaws in place of one or more of the traits available to take (characters may have a maximum of 2 traits and/or flaws at 1st level and may choose either a trait or a flaw at 10th level). As per the Unearthed Arcana, each flaw provides a bonus feat.

• Weapon Group Feats: I use the rules for weapon groups instead of the standard class proficiencies (as per the Unearthed Arcana).

• Unearthed Arcana Class level Variants: I allow the use of these two types of variant levels from the Unearthed Arcana. In fact, I use these instead of allowing the templates from the Monster Manual (such as half-fiends, half-dragons, celestial templates, etc). I also allow the use of variant classes and variations on special abilities.

• Bards and Paladins are Prestige Classes: Bards and paladins are no longer base classes; they are prestige classes, as described in the Unearthed Arcana.

• Playable Expert Class: Commonly, players in my games take on roles or expand character concepts into areas outside of the typical “adventurers.” The Expert NPC class from the DMG is a good start for a playable class that centers on skills and occupations for characters. The following changes and additions are to be made to the description in the DMG:
    Instead of having only Will saves as the class’s “good” save, the player may choose which one of the save types will be the character’s “good” save.
    Instead of a base of 6 skill points, the PC Expert would have a base of 8 skill points.
    At 10th and 20th levels, they gain the Skill Mastery ability (as from the Rogue class).
    The Expert gains bonus feats at the same rate that fighters get bonus feats (1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc). Bonus feats may be chosen from the following list: any of the feats that give +2 to two different skills, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Skill Focus, Toughness, and Track (from the Stronghold Builder’s Guide: Landlord, and from the DMG2: Apprentice, Business Savvy, and Mentor).
    When multiclassing, the Expert class is never included in any calculations for possibilities of XP penalties due to multiclassing. In fact, this class is mostly built for multiclassing PCs and for a more realistic representation of the real “experts” in various fields.

• Epic Changes: According to the ELH, it seems that the game changes to a Superheroes game at epic levels. Yes, epic characters are super characters of a sort, but the ELH seems to artificially elevate this. As such, there are a couple of changes I make for 21st level characters and up. First thing: while magical items of that magnitude still require separate feats (and I keep the definitions of what an Epic Item is), I don’t like the sudden multiplier by 10 to all costs. Second thing: Epic spells are gone. If one of those spells are appropriate to a game, I’ll make it a 10th, 11th, 12th, or whatever level spell (and those spells will be available as per normal rules of the Improved Spell Capacity feat and my spell point system). When it comes to epic monsters and epic feats, I take all of these on a case-by-case basis; changes and exclusions would be akin to a book in and of itself.

Cbas_10

First Post
Spellcasting...a point-based system

Spells available for characters to cast

For spell-preparing classes: They choose a number of spells from the entire host of spells they know (entire list + domain spells for clerics or spellbook for wizards, as examples) equal to 1/2 Caster Level times Casting Attribute Modifier. Those are the spells they have "prepared" at one time. This represents pre-measured components, readied foci, and the sheer level of complexity of incantations & ritual procedures they can remember at one time. They may change/swap prepared spells at any time, given an hour of studying/preparing. Spell lists are the same, wizards' spellbooks function the same, characters gain spells in the same way, etc. Include Zero-level spells; they are not exempt or additional.

"Spontaneous" casters, such as sorcerers and bards: They have the same quantity of spells that are known to them, but they need not choose a specific level of spell when they obtain new known spells when advancing levels (i.e. an 8th level Sorcerer gains access to a 4th level spell according to the class table, but in my system, he may choose any new spell up to 4th level. When he goes up to 9th level, he gets any two spells up to 4th level instead of a 4th and a 2nd). The only limitation is that a "spontaneous" caster may not "know" more spells of a higher level than the level previous (i.e. with 3 4th level spells, he may not "know" more than 3 5th level spells). Include Zero-level spells; they are not exempt or additional.

Spells per day...or Spell Points

This applies to all spellcasters. Do not count "zero-level spell-levels." Add the spell levels of your class's "spells per day chart", including bonus spells. Thus, the total for a 3rd level wizard with 15 Intelligence has a total of 7 points. The only thing that I find hard to really teach a player is when a lower level character has an Ability bonus that shows bonus spells of a higher level than they can cast; that character still gains bonus spell points for those, but they act as the highest level of spell they can cast. Thus, our example of a 3rd level wizard would get 11 points with an 18 Intelligence (3 points from spells-per-day table, +1 for bonus 1st level spell, +2 for bonus 2nd level, +2 for bonus would-be 3rd level, and +2 for bonus would-be 4th level).

Casting spells and what they cost

Very simply, a spell costs its level in spell points. Meta-magic level-adjustments add to the cost of spell points (the character must still have the feat to do so) ("spontanteous" casters must still take extra time to cast spells modified by metamagic). Zero-level spells may be cast at will, at no cost in spell points (however, adding metamagic to a zero-level spell will give it a cost to cast). Additionally, if a spell costs (inluding metamagic adjustment) equal to or less than 1% of your maximum total, it may be cast for free (typically up to 1st level spells for high level wizards/clerics, 2nd level spells for 20th level).

Recovering spell points

Characters regain points while they are getting actual sleep or bed-rest. However, they don't automatically get everything back every night. They get 5% of their total back per hour of sleep. Thus 40% per standard 8-hour rest. When travelling in a wagon where they can get a semblance of rest in the rocking wagon (or an equivalent type of broken peace), they get 2% back per hour. All of this does take a minor bit of calculating (takes 10 seconds), but this just takes a calculator or basic skills. Additionally, 3 extra numbers can be recorded near the sheet entry noting spell points (5%/hour of rest, 2%/hour of travel, and 1% of total for free castings). Obviously, people will note that casters cannot use all of their spells everyday. This is intentional; a trade for such great versatility. Plus, how many times in fantasy literature have we heard of wizards exhausting themselves for days after great magical battles?

When a caster is out of spell points: When a caster still needs to cast a spell but has no points left (or not enough), he may dig into himself for power. When he scours himself for spell points, he trades a point of Constitution AND a point of Strength for a number of spell points equal to his Casting Ability Modifier squared (4pts at 14 Intelligence, 9 pts at 16, 16 pts at 18, etc). The traded ability score points are treated as Ability Score damage, and they may ONLY be healed naturally; no form of magical healing will cause them to return faster.

Power Components and XP costs

Nothing costs XP in my game, but anytime an XP cost is called for, a required power component is needed to cast the spell or make the item. Fortunately, my group is such that they work with me and get creative about what sorts of components would be appropriate for a particular spell or item. Some items cost gold to obtain, and some are things they have to quest/trade for. Occasionally, power components are in the form of specific rituals (requiring preparations, time, various numbers of adepts, or even specific conditions like a full moon or magical location).

Cbas_10

First Post
Other Rule Tweaks

• Raise/Res rule: Characters/NPCs may only be raised or resurrected by a cleric (or whatever divine caster) that worships the same diety.

• Wound Points: Characters/Creatures have a number of wound points equal to their Constitution plus 1/2 level or HD. Furthermore, larger and smaller creatures have this number multiplied by their size multiplier (used for determining bonuses to Attack and AC; negative numbers multiply wound points and positive numbers divide them). When they take a critical hit, figure hit point damage normally. Additionally, the victim takes the weapon's base damage before multiplying as Wound Points. Energy effects, most special abilities that add damage before multiplying, etc do not apply to the wound point damage; pretty much only the weapon, strength (or other appropriate ability) based damage bonus, and the weapon's enhancement bonus. Wound points are also what "tick off" when a character is below zero hit points, as per the normal stablization rules. (Yes, this can be very deadly at high levels against powerful enemies.)

• Turning Undead: I use the variant rule for turning undead (Unearthed Arcana p.66) as a standard rule in my games.

• Detecting or specifically affecting by Alignment: Detect [Alignment] spells or other effects that target by alignment specifically function only on creatures, items, or spells that actually have an aura or descriptor tag within its stat block. For example, Detect Evil will not register a chaotic evil Fighter, but it will show the presence of an evil Cleric, as the class specifically states that it has an aura of its alignment.

Last edited:

Remove ads