• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB's biggest failing by far: No custom content possible

rjdafoe

Explorer
I am not sure how different the new cb scheme is from the old offline one. Back when it was released, they were nearly identical.

rjdafoe

Explorer
jimmifett said:
It doesn't matter if others can see, it's if anyone can see and the fact it's being delivered from wotc. Just becuase it's common practice doesn't mean it isn't a gordian's knot of legal considerations. Even youtube can be served with takedown notices for content they serve but did not create. Thats why wotc has dungeons filled with Illithid lawyers just to discuss these things. Any product has to go through sales and marketing dire weasels, then the illithid lawyers, and who knows how many other groups. Developers are among the last in line to have any say on something customer facing, if they get any say at all other than how something is implemented.

Lets say wotc opens up CB to 3pp for datasets, those 3pp companies are going to have licensing deals, and as such, i'd want working to prevent users from just ripping off my content. perhaps it's a subscription type thing. Pay $1, get all content in the CB from x company. Now I have a monetary incentive, and where there is money, there is lawyers.

All of the reasons that I think any custom content will be a long ways coming. Back in the offline cb, the content could be stored locally and not shared with the official content, and it would not effect anyone else. I think this is a huge hurdle for WOTC and I do not see them implemting anything that will be passible to anyone but the people only using approved content.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I am not sure how different the new cb scheme is from the old offline one. Back when it was released, they were nearly identical.

The problem was that there was no XML Schema in the old CB. You could throw the data just about anywhere, and an xpath query could still find the nodes, without validating. An case study of what not to do with xml. With the online CB, the data is no longer stored in xml, it's stored in database tables. They use filters to transform the old CB files (badly) into table entries, and more filters to export new CB data into it's export files.

rjdafoe

Explorer
My mobile quoting does not seem to work....

Unless something has changed, the online cb includes the exact XML that the offline cb had. I looked at it very early on. The rules dll was kept on their side and they exposed all their content cached on the client side in an XML file, just like they did with the old one.

Go read the Wotc ddi forums about the discussions of people breaking down the program.

To me it seems badly designed. Now they may create the XML file from a db, I don't really know about that, but the basic structure how the cb uses the data was and probably still is the same.

Last edited:

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Looking at a dump I just made from the CB via fiddler.
It's still horridly designed xml, but it's cleaner than ever was from the old CB.

It looks like all the crunch and what not are being sent to client while to program is loading. for instance, changing a feat, it does not re-query the server for the list of feats. No wonder it takes forever to load up. Idiots.
During launch, setup some session based encryption, take the xml, encrypt it, take that, encapsulate in your message document, and send as needed. Significantly faster loading.

It then is storing any changes server side, and looks like retransmitting the entire character block back to the client. sigh.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for custom content, they can't even get webservices done right. I'll probably finish my CB first :p

Riastlin

First Post
So... your argument is that WotC should do nothing because they'll get bad press? I hope that's not why they don't do the little things.

On the contrary. I'm saying that they are more than likely waiting until they can implement a fuller suite of custom content options, one that won't be met with a general response of "You've had X months to work on this and all we get is this?? WTF??"

I believe, though I could be wrong, that they have stated that they are working on getting custom content support into the online CB. Though they haven't stated explicitly that they are looking to do a larger update on custom stuff at once, my guess is that they would. I fully agree that they should work on getting custom stuff into the CB, but it needs to be more than just supporting custom languages and religions because frankly, that kind of support really isn't needed. It might make the character sheet a tad prettier, but it doesn't really make it better per se.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's funny that for all the hue and cry from certain parts of the fanbase that making all these changes to the CB is supposedly so "easy"... that not a single one of them has programmed their own version that does it in all this time.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
It's funny that for all the hue and cry from certain parts of the fanbase that making all these changes to the CB is supposedly so "easy"... that not a single one of them has programmed their own version that does it in all this time.

I know! They should put some time into a learning how this stuff works.

I spent my limited spare time over several months (15+) mapping out a schema and populating an xml data set so I can create table structures. Powers are an absolute murder to do, I'm only at level 5 in just the cleric powers (after all the racial powers and class feature powers), but i'm fairly satisfied I can functionally describe any power in such a way to do accurate calculations. I've got the religions, all the various types of keywords, languages, (at least found in phb1), I've been working on monsters for my monster builder. It takes time, testing and planning. My MB has a pretty decent UI and uses xsl/xpath2 to generate picture perfect stat blocs, and I can run it through fop to generate pdfs on the fly.

eamon

Explorer
Except that it would be, oh, illegal to distribute? And that you'd be doing non-trivial work for free to support a for-profit company that could shut you down at a whim? This strikes you as being odd how exactly?

Zaran

Adventurer
DEFCON 1 said:

I would think that if I have Programmed my own I would not be here wishing WotC to make one for me. So probably those that have are enjoying it.

Remove ads