D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[OOC: Guran carries a total of four throwing weapons with which he is proficient: a dagger, two handaxes, and a light hammer. He has already thrown the hammer to no effect.
As I read it, his Sneak Attack can be used once per round with a finesse or ranged weapon if either (a) he has advantage on the attack or (b) another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of the target and is not incapacitated, and Guran is not at disadvantage. In this case, Colden is within 5 feet of the bettle and is its enemy; Colden is not incapacitated; and Guran does not have disadvantage. I think that means he can apply his sneak attack with a thrown weapon.]

Seeing the beetle take a bite at Colden, Guran realizes that he would have a hard time hitting the thing with his sword, so he draws a handaxe and throws it at the creature.
(attack roll) [roll0]
(with Sneak Attack) [roll]1d4+3+1d6[/roll]

He also mentions to the others that he hears more similar sounds coming from the eastern corridor.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[OOC: I tried invalid syntax with the damage roll. The simple, built-in roller program just doesn't accept that formulation.
IMHO, that's alright. It won't matter because that attack roll of 11 isn't going to hit anyway -- his hammer attack in Round 1 was a 12 and it missed, so an 11 has no chance.]

Last edited:

COMBAT ROUND 2

Initiative order:
Guran 22
Colden 17
Eldon 12
Fulgrim 12
Giant beetle 5
Roscoe 4

The beetle has arrived next to the rest of the party. Guran withdraws toward the antechamber, saying to the others, "I think I hear more of them coming, too." Seeing the beetle take a bite at Colden, Guran realizes that he would have a hard time hitting the thing with his sword, so he draws a handaxe and throws it at the creature. The handaxe, however, misses the giant beetle and instead falls aimlessly to the floor behind the creature.

Colden grunts as he feels the bite from the giant insect and drawing his warhammer launches an attack on it. The warhammer slams into the beetle's carapace, crushing the exoskeleton and embedding itself into the creature's foreshoulder for 10 points of damage to the giant beetle. The hammer is so deeply embedded that only the grip shows. The beetle immediately topples over, its six legs constricting in death throes. Drawing upon his reserves, Colden shrugs off the damage and recoups 5 HP.

Eldon threw caution to the wind and drew his rapier. When Guran stepped backward toward the antechamber, Eldon--encouraged by Colden's death strike--hustled forward 15 and rounded the corner to stand just south and adjacent to the dying beetle. "Two more down this corridor!" Eldon yelled, moving forward a final five foot step into the north-south corridor.

MID-ROUND PAUSE FOR FULGRIM AND ROSCOE TO RE-STATE ACTIONS.

Forged Fury

First Post
Trusting to his armor, Fulgrim moved to the northwest corner end of the north-south corridor, standing over the dead beetle, and blasted a bolt of mystical flame at one of the two oncoming beetles.

"I believe whether they were hostile or not is now irrelevant at this juncture."

OOC: Using the rolls in this post

Last edited:

The north-south corridor is 10' wide and 15' long. It terminates in a T, abutting a hallway to the south that runs west-east. A pair of doors, one on the west and one on the east, is situated halfway down the 15' corridor. Both doors are closed.

Eldon thinks he might see yet another (narrower) north-south corridor that branches off the new west-east hallway. If it is in fact a corridor--it's dark so it's hard to tell--it's toward the east of the new hallway, and maybe 5' wide. It could, however, just be an opening to a room.
[sblock=OOC]Thanks for the map in the OOC thread, Forged_Fury. If you have time, please update it to include the description above.[/sblock]

COMBAT ROUND 2, CONTINUED FROM MID-ROUND

Trusting to his armor, Fulgrim moved to the northwest corner of the 10'-wide north-south corridor. Standing over the dead beetle, Fulgrim blasted a bolt of mystical flame at the giant beetle on the eastern edge of the corridor (Giant beetle 3). The magical bolt of flame bores into the Giant Beetle 3, causing the creature's head to burst into fire for 8 points of damage. "I believe whether they were hostile or not is now irrelevant at this juncture." Giant Beetle 3 drops in place and quivers in death throes.

Roscoe takes a 5'-step forward and swings his sword at Giant Beetle 2. The sword connects with a sickening crunch for 7 points of damage. Bits of black exoskeleton and yellow goo fly off of Roscoe's sword, covering Eldon with gore. Giant Beetle 2 flies backward five feet and goes down hard on its back, its legs curling in on themselves.

Eldon screeches, "THAT'S IT. I'm done. Outta here." The Halfling never lowers his rapier but steps backward, away from Giant Beetle 2. With a look of supreme disgust, Eldon wipes off a chunk of beetle flesh from his forearm and gags. Turning on his heel, Eldon flounces back up the north-south corridor and down the west-east hallway. Before the rest of the group can blink, Eldon's voice calls out, "Hey, Meriene! Wait up!"

Colden, make a Constitution check.

END OF COMBAT, WE ARE OFF INITIATIVE.

Everyone take 440 XP (40 XP for the Giant Beetles, 200 XP for the month of January, and 200 XP for roleplay.

Last edited:

Skarsgard

Explorer
Colden

"Where the hell are you going?" Colden shouts to Eldon's retreating back. "DAMNIT!"

Colden leans against the wall a slight sweet forming on his brow. He grits his teeth and moves back to join the others.

[sblock=ooc] Coldens constitution save.

1d20+5=20

[/sblock]

A wave of sickness washes over Colden, and he breaks out into a cold sweat. The beetle bite throbs. After leaning against the cool of the stone wall for half a minute, however, Colden feels better and his queasiness passes.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
COMBAT ROUND 2, CONTINUED FROM MID-ROUND

< snip >

Eldon screeches, "THAT'S IT. I'm done. Outta here." The Halfling never lowers his rapier but steps backward, away from Giant Beetle 2. With a look of supreme disgust, Eldon wipes off a chunk of beetle flesh from his forearm and gags. Turning on his heel, Eldon flounces back up the north-south corridor and down the west-east hallway. Before the rest of the group can blink, Eldon's voice calls out, "Hey, Meriene! Wait up!"

Still lurking halfway between the corner and the antechamber, Guran sees Eldon appear at the intersection. The halfling is moving quickly. As Eldon rushes past him, Guran asks, "Are we winning or losing?" Guran says it too slowly: Eldon is past him and out of earshot by the time Guran gets the fourth word spoken.

Determined to set an example of the persistence demanded by Moradin, Guran advances again, drawing his second handaxe as he goes. Rounding the corner and seeing the remainder of the party cleaning up after the end of battle, Guran retrieves his two thrown weapons and rejoins with them again.

[sblock]I was going to have Guran say, "You're supposed to toss cobbles, not toss your cookies"; however, that's too much of an American idiom (about vomiting) for Guran to know; and he's not quick-witted enough to come up with it in the first place. Besides that, he might also have better taste.[/sblock]

Remove ads