• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Celtic Dreams : calling alternates.

DrZombie

First Post
Aaah well, character creation will be a bit different I fear.

We'll be playing in europe in about 400 BC. Alexander the great is still a naughty look in Philips eye, Rome is a city state that is trying to expand but failing, Carthage is a center of power, former colony of the Phoenicians, The Greeks are fighting amongst each other as usual.

If you're looking for a game of Hercules or Xena, go somewhere else.

You'll all start as Celts, all from the same warband.

Starting lvl 3, starting stats 17, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8. You can add 1 pt to a stat by reducing another stat by 2.
Max HP
Starting race : Human only.
Allowed professions : Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian, Bard, Ranger.
Changed : Cleric, bard, paladin
Not allowed without some very good and convincing background and/or bribery : sorc and wizard.

Gaesa : You can start with a gaesa, a prophecy foretelling your death should a certain thing come to pass. In exchange you can have a "humanoid" trait : a dwarven constitution, elven dexterity, orcish darkvision,.... These things represent the fey blood some characters might posess. Examples of gaesa are : Sleep not in the same place twice, Be not the kings shield. Do not kill the dog that bites you,.... If you break your gaesa, by accident or on purpose, you will die. No saving throws, feats or spells can save you.

A bard is a wandering loremaster, a teller of tales but he serves as judge in remote regions. They are of very high esteem, and should be developing their social skills , subterfuge is not their way, we'll discuss individually.

Priests of Lugh, god of sun, and of the moon are priests, not clerics. Whoever wants to play one should let me know, we'll discuss as we go along. We'll probably use a wizard bab progresion but an extra domein + domein spell, and/or no need for choosing spells in advance.

Paladins : moon maiden wariors are paladin like, they are wariors of the destructive moon, chaotic neutral, can go berserk, might end up with spells in the higher levels, will work it out as we go along. Use paladin template with rage ability as barbarian.

Noone starts with heavy armor proficiency.

This will be a low-magic, fairly grim and poor world. There will be some combat, but my games tend to be more roleplaying and politically oriented.

Lemme know if you're interested, looking at early march to start. If you like the idea but something isn't to your taste, give a shout. as you see, these things aren't set in stone.

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
Looks interesting, though I know very little about the time period. What location are you looking at?

If I did play, it would probably be a rogue, unless I can find other references to the timeperiod and location that would pull me to something else.

Other then the differences marked above... will this be more a 3.5 setting, or 3.0 setting. I'll need to know to plan my character.

Last edited:

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Wow, I definitely want in on this. It looks great. I realise, however, that I have just jumped on a thread that was probably mainly intended for those people involved in the decision making process in your 'which setting would make you drewl' thread. As such, I'll defer to any of those posters who come along baying for my highjacking blood. :p

Anyway, if I was to play then I would probably want to be a bard. I love the Celtic bard imagery.

DrZombie

First Post
Argent : there is no way we'll ever be able to play a "realistic" historical setting because there are not ebnough written sources, none by the celts themselves, most by the romans who were still pissed off because the celts sacked rome...

Druid as it is mutilated in the players handbook is more germanic in origin imho. The closest thing you'll get to a celtic figure in fantasy surroundings is a modified bard.

As to the female barbarian, hold on to that thought. The closest thing is a moon maiden. They worship the destructive aspect of mother nature, and are fierce warriors. The maiden part is essential. They are often seen as leaders of mercenary bands. Most people think of them as rabid dogs.
eeuuhm ,lets think, BAB and Saves of a pally, special abilities :
1 : smite 1/d
2: divine grace, lay on hands
3: aura of courage, divine health
4 : leadership

spell progression as paladin.
base skills : choose and let me know

Special : if you voluntarily loose your maidenhood you loose all powers.

how does that sound ?

To anyone willing to go with this, my main sources as to the feel of the setting is a mix of the Stephen Lawhead Pendragon series and katherine Kerr's Daggerspell books.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Mithreander said:
Looks interesting, though I know very little about the time period. What location are you looking at?

If I did play, it would probably be a rogue, unless I can find other references to the timeperiod and location that would pull me to something else.

Other then the differences marked above... will this be more a 3.5 setting, or 3.0 setting. I'll need to know to plan my character.

3.5, off course,

rogue is fine as most celts are known as cattle thieves lol.

DrZombie

First Post
Chaos Apostate said:
Wow, I definitely want in on this. It looks great. I realise, however, that I have just jumped on a thread that was probably mainly intended for those people involved in the decision making process in your 'which setting would make you drewl' thread. As such, I'll defer to any of those posters who come along baying for my highjacking blood. :p

Anyway, if I was to play then I would probably want to be a bard. I love the Celtic bard imagery.
basically noone really "reserved" a place, those that are interested are more than welcome.

Mithreander

Explorer
Fendor Greystone (The Fox)
Male Human Rogue 3
Neurtal Good

Str 10
Dex 20 +5
Con 10
Int 16 +3
Wis 8 -1
Cha 12 +1

Hit Points 18
AC 15 (16)
Init +5
BAB/Grapple +2|+3
Speed 30 (base 30, load 0/33, No Armor)
Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0

+7 Melee, Unarmed Combat, 1d4, 19-20/x2

Medium, 5'6" tall, 115 wt, 19 yrs old
Brown hair, Brown eyes, Pale skin

Speaks soon to come.

+5 Spot (6)
+5 Listen (6)
+7 Bluff (6)
+10 Ballance (6)
+9 Search (6)
+9 Disable Device (6)
+10 Open Locks (6)
+10 Move Silently (6)
+10 Hide (6)
+10 Slight of Hand (6)
+7 Perform (6)
+10 Tumble(6)

Feats
-Improved Unarmed Combat
-Weapon Finesse (Unarmed Combat)
-Dodge

Human Traits
- Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Human base land speed is 30 feet.
- 1 extra feat at 1st level.
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
- Automatic Language: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Any.

Gease
"Ask and you shall receive: If any material item is asked for from him, and he does not give it, then Death will take the only thing of true value to him."
+2 Dex

Rogue Abilities
- Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim , Tumble , Use Magic Device , and Use Rope are class skills.
- Sneak Attack +2d6
- Trapfinding
- Evasion
- Trap Sense +1

Background
Fendor is the result of to many family grevances. His family has been split by two factions for as long as he could remember do to the fact that his mother (a scott) married a saxen. Being of both ancestory, Fendor has found himself in the middle of that rift all hs life. He finally grew tired of it, and fled on his own.

He found living on his own more difficult then he had anticipated. If not for his quick wit and even quicker fingers, he would have been caught long before he actually was.

Yes, at the tender age of 15, he was caught stealing some bread to eat and was then given to a mercenary band to be taken care of.

He was taken care of, alright. Served as a cook for 2 years and personal 'kick' toy for two more.

That was until the band that he was with now was hired to take care of his old band. He hid and then latter, introduced himself to the Maiden that had lead the other group. Since then, he has acted as a forward scout to this group, and even is looked upon as an equal... sometimes.

Personality
Fendor is a tenacious youth, who never gives up, whether or not he should. Once a thought enters his mind to do something, he'll continue on that course until it's complete, whether or not it appears to be the best course after retrospection. Despite this, or because of this, he has done well in almost anything he has tried to acomplish.

He's a generous boy, who is willing to give up everything for those few he calls friends, or those he sees in need. Unfortunately, since he has a very loose look on posessions, he's under the misconception that everyone is willing to give up their things as easily as he is, even after lifes many lessons to teach him otherwise.

This and his open smile allows him to make friends easily, a likable person... as long as you remind him that your things are yours, and not the next desolute wafe's that happens to walk by.

Discription
Fendor looks younger then his 19 years would suggest. Having very little worry in his life (or at least lacks the wisdom to know that he SHOULD worry) has allowed for him to retain his youthful exuberance and energy. This and his size makes for an impression that he's younger then he actually is. He appears to be any other child of desalute wearing no weapons, and carring nothing but his wits, he easily passes for a common waif in need of conforting. His appearance lends to his easy acceptance from others.

Equipment
Peseant's Outfitname (worn, -wt)

Didn't know how much cash to spend, so only spent, well, now none!

Last edited:

Jaik

First Post
I'd love to give this setting a whirl. Assuming my understanding is correct, I'd like to submit a hunter/raider/warrior (ranger). I'm thinking that various clans would raid one another with varying frequency and maliciousness ranging from blood feuds to almost friendly rivalry. I'm thinknig of a cocky young warrior out to prove himself to the group.

As an aside, could you define warband? Is it more of a tribe or an army?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads