• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Celtic Dreams : calling alternates.

DrZombie

First Post
evileeyore said:
Do you still have room for another? If not I would love to go an the alt list.

My concept is a rogue/sorceror (formor blooded or tainted by the Aes Sidhe). I would take very few levels of Sorc, no more than 1 per 2-3 rogue levels.

As a Geas to pay for being allowed to take sorc (ie: its added as a 'preferred class'):

Weilding the might arcane by the light of the moon,
is a sure way to seal your doom.
Hmmm. The main problem is that the flashy spells are not fitting in this setting. I'd certainly limit the spells you'd be able to choose from. I'm not really comfortable with it. Convince me some more.

Michael Tree

First Post
I've just decided on my Geasa.

"If ever a lying word should pass your lips, your final breath is soon to follow."

In other words, he must never say something that isn't true. He can be evasive, vague, or deliberately misleading, but everything he says must be true. For example, if he hears (but doesn't see) a fox run up a tree fleeing from some hunters , when the hunters ask him if the fox was nearby he could answer "I havn't seen it" or "near as the wind, far as the sky", but couldn't say "no" without dooming himself.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Michael Tree said:
I've just decided on my Geasa.

"If ever a lying word should pass your lips, your final breath is soon to follow."

In other words, he must never say something that isn't true. He can be evasive, vague, or deliberately misleading, but everything he says must be true. For example, if he hears (but doesn't see) a fox run up a tree fleeing from some hunters , when the hunters ask him if the fox was nearby he could answer "I havn't seen it" or "near as the wind, far as the sky", but couldn't say "no" without dooming himself.
A bit like the Aes Sedai in the wheel of time, no? Bend the truth as much as yu like, but never break it? Ok with me.

Michael Tree

First Post
DrZombie said:
A bit like the Aes Sedai in the wheel of time, no? Bend the truth as much as yu like, but never break it? Ok with me.
Is it? I've never read wheel of time. I took it mostly from the tale of Thomas the Rhymer, who, after being the consort of the queen of faerieland, could not speak a lie. He could still be vague, in the way that prophecies only make sense after the thing they predict has come to pass.

Mithreander

Explorer
DrZombie said:
Mithreander said:
"Ask and you shall recieve: if any material object that he has is asked for, and is not given by him, then death will take the only thing of true value to him."

Hows that?

A bit much I think, it could be too easily abused by other people. If, in the middle of a fight, someone asks for his sword he'd be screwed.

Okay, so are you saying that everyone knows everyone elses Guise? If that's the case then I COULD see it abused. If not, then it's no problem.

As to the sword senario, he's better with his fists, then any sword!

Mithreander said:
+7 Melee, Unarmed Combat, 1d4, 19-20/x2
Feats
-Improved Unarmed Combat
-Weapon Finesse (Unarmed Combat)
-Dodge

As you can see, he gets +7 to hit with his fists and he would only get +2 to hit with a sword. The guy would be doing him a favor by asking for Fendor's sword, especially if he was using it!

Of course, if you are trully against it, then I'll think of something else.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Mithreander said:
Okay, so are you saying that everyone knows everyone elses Guise? If that's the case then I COULD see it abused. If not, then it's no problem.
Noone knows another's gaesa, it's your character, you do as you like, but it's a bit harsh. Aaah well, we'll see.

Michael Tree

First Post
Would it be okay if I tried out a variant or two from Unearthed Arcana? Two that would particularly fit my character are the Druidic Avenger (give up animal companion and spontaneous summoning, and -4 penalty to wild empathy, in return for rage and fast movement as a barbarian) and spell points (His powers stem from otherworldly blood and the ancient mysteries of the horned god, so having to prepare spells in the morning doesn't make much sense to me).

DrZombie

First Post
Michael Tree said:
Would it be okay if I tried out a variant or two from Unearthed Arcana? Two that would particularly fit my character are the Druidic Avenger (give up animal companion and spontaneous summoning, and -4 penalty to wild empathy, in return for rage and fast movement as a barbarian) and spell points (His powers stem from otherworldly blood and the ancient mysteries of the horned god, so having to prepare spells in the morning doesn't make much sense to me).
Sorry, I don't have UA (yet) so I won't allow it. If you want to, I have no problem with giving you "spells known" a limited list and the n let you cast spontaniously.

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Hey, sorry I've been away so long. Do I still have a place here? On the offchance that I do, my character should be up within an hour or so.

Would you be cool with the idea of a curse rather than a gaesa? It would have the same effect, but rather than being a prophecy it would be a curse imposed upon the character for a wrongdoing or slight. In my character's case, if he ever shirks any responsibility that he believes in his heart he has, he will be struck down.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads