• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Centaur player D&D

Jarl

First Post
Hiya.

I found it all out. Centaurs count level equivalents by HD and then add the level adjustment, making them ECL 6 (4HD + adjustment +2) + character level.
Just converting to 3.5 you see, don't you?

I've come to the decision that I need a bit of help, for the first time in my career of DMing.

You know how the Reincarnation spell is horribly inaccurate, - the spell description is really poor and covers the spell in a "however-You-figure-this-to-work" sort of manner?

Well. (sigh)
I've let a player go through a Reincarnation and he turned out as a centaur. I of course see now, after some weeks of playing, that I should just have let him die.

The way I did the conversion was to remove all his precious racial abilities (he was a dwarf), and apply all the abilities a Centaur-character would get from 1'st level (as described in MM 3.5).* including HD and BsB and base saves; which the Reincarnation spell states he shouldn't get. I'm happy with how it worked out, except from that centaurs only have a +2 level adjustment. After all they get a lot of hit points and so on, when created from the view of a 'monsters as players' template?

I am restricting this character socially as well as what kind of roleplaying is considered natural on his behalf. (I'm ruling that the spell drained a lot on his previous life's memories, so that he is only keeping the essential empirical abilities (i.e skills, feats and class-stuff) while he is also gradually leaning towards the mindset of a centaur; if I get my will (which is to have my player be a good role-player, naturally ;)) he'll no longer be a money crazed spontaneous pseudo-extortionist.

The focal point of my little letter to the net will be this: Isn't +2 lvl adjustment a little too ..lenient?
OR have I misread the rules, and misunderstood the point of the mechanics I applied?
(I might believe I was playing a different game if that's what you'll tell me)

I will shower with gentle pats on the shoulder anyone who can assess the above.

Thanks, I'm truly grateful!

*Savage speices' rules was a no option.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ooh, i once played a dwarf-turned-centaur through reincarnation. :) maybe this is his little brother.

Remove ads