• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Certain basic feats that should exist (IYO) but don't

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Deadeye Shot-
You can take a penalty on a ranged attack (no more than your BAB) to add a bonus to your ranged damage. (this feat is often used by snipers). This feat only works with bows, crossbows, and firearms (no hatchets or slings. See power throw from complete adventurer for that).
Prereqs- Precise Shot.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Michael Silverbane said:
I use a "fighting aggressively" option, which works just like "fighting defensively" except that you take the -4 to attacks and gain +2 to damage. To me, that has nice symmetry.

Later
silver

I assume that is for people without power attack, just like fighting defensively is for people without combat expertise.

Another agressive idea-- All Out attack-- -2 to AC for +2 to hit on all attacks that round (the same bonus/penalty as charging, but can be used as part of a full attack).

shilsen

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
I assume that is for people without power attack, just like fighting defensively is for people without combat expertise.

Of course, people with Combat Expertise can use it with fighting defensively as well.

jasin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I don't have time to look for them exactly right now, but there are a goodly number of PrCs that require you to have a certain casting ability and then require skill ranks that no caster has as class skills, thus delaying entry to the PrC for quite some time unless you multiclass and lose a caster level
The beguiler probably already wreaks havoc with most of those. OK, beguilers might not get much from many of the usual caster PrCs (you gain +2 to caster level for your fire spells... yay! :)) but I'd guess that many of the caster PrCs that use skill ranks rather than something like martial weapon proficiency to encourage/force multiclassing are targetted at rogue/wizard types, which should fit the beguiler perfectly.

Between all the different classes with different skill lists out there and feats that add specific skills to your skill list (Martial Study does it and I think I rememeber something from Races of Destiny gave you a thematic package like gather info, knowledge (local) and bluff...?) I don't think any PrC, caster or not, that tries to force multiclassing solely by skill ranks is "safe" anyway.

jasin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Nymph Battledancer1/Cleric5/Mystic Wanderer1 with Divine Might.
Battledancer! I cannot believe I missed that!

(depending on your source for Half Nymph--the one I use keeps +Cha to AC, unlike the Dragon magazine one which inexplicably has powers that the regular Nymph doesn't have):
Where is yours from?

newgrace

First Post
2 that I really want.

1 - Add dex for damage on ranged weapons. Str increases damage on melee, I want someone with a bow or dagger to be able to increase their damage for having a greater stat.

2 - Combat abilities to perform targeted attacks. Like a trip attempt, but involves hitting a humanoid in the eyes, or hamstring (I know the rogue feat), or crush their hand, yada yada. Many times we have wanted to perform a specific attack, but been unable to. Make it only a certain # times/day, or once per rnd, or huge negatives to attempt. And while I have seen a few rogue feats that let you sacrifice sneak attack, I think the ranger with favored enemy should have some choices, as well as the big bad fighter.

And the fighter definatly needs some late lvl feats, as the wizards just rock him. I hate how the fighter works well at low lvls, then everyone is kind of equal, then wizards are the way to go (wizards as in casters, not the wizard class).

hong

WotC's bitch
newgrace said:
2 that I really want.

1 - Add dex for damage on ranged weapons. Str increases damage on melee, I want someone with a bow or dagger to be able to increase their damage for having a greater stat.

Ugh. Yet more ways to turn a character into a one-stat monkey. No thanks.

Dheran

First Post
A feat that will let you split a normal move around any other legal action. For instance:
  • move to a door (partial movement)
  • open the door (move action)
  • walk through the door (rest of movement)
It's maddening that highly trained PCs can't go through a door, opening it on the way, in 6 seconds. I could do that with a sprained ankle! Spring Attack is just too specific (and poorly written, also).

foxwick

First Post
jasin said:
Specifics please? I know a certain bard/samurai/iaijutsu master/paladin that would be interested.

Another couple of gems for CHA they might like - Holy Surge weapons (DMGII p 258), and Slippers of Battledancing (DMGII p 272).

Use those and some other tweaks, I had a Gestalt Bard 1/Marshal 1/Paladin 16 & Favoured Soul 18 with +40 attack on a Divine Might Charging Smite (PHBII), dealing 1d8+69+2d6 (sacred) +2d6 (holy) damage to evil outsiders. This was with a +10 CHA modifier.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Because so many DMs like using them, it would be great to have a feat that allows one to avoid critial misses, fumbles, etc.

"Sure-footed

Benefit: You do not suffer the effects of a fumble or a critical miss. When you roll a '1' on an attack roll, you simply miss with that attack and suffer no other penalty.

Fortunate

Prerequisite: Sure-footed

Benefit: You do not suffer the effects of someone else' fumble or critical miss. When they roll a '1' on an attack roll, and their subsequent fumble or critical miss dictates that you would suffer harm (such as being attacked by an ally's weapon, or suffer damage from the explosion of an ally's weapon breaking) the result is treated as a simple miss. Similarly, attacks from allies that are not yourself that would be redirected towards you (such as an ally attacking someone with the Elusive Target feat that you are both flanking) are treated as simple misses instead."

Of course, I might be bitter. :)

And ditto on Quick-Sheathe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads