• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain Fighter Build

Stormborn

Explorer
OK, I have never been one for maxed out combat monsters but the idea of using a chain fighter, either as an NPC when I DM or for myself as a player, has begun to interest me. As I know that this subject has been discussed here alot, so can any one give me a level by level progression for a chain weilding fighter, including reasons for choices, or links to one?
Thanks

pbd

First Post
I just played my current half-dragon/dwarf barbarian/fighter (yes, yes, lots of stuff there) fighter last night

He is currently 7th lvl; ECL 3, Barb 2, Fgt 2. I ada a little more lattitude starting with 4 class levels, feats (all core) include EWP (Spked Chain), combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes.

His main weakness is will save and I plan to get Iron WIll ASAP.

diaglo

Adventurer
pbd said:
I just played my current half-dragon/dwarf barbarian/fighter (yes, yes, lots of stuff there) fighter last night

He is currently 7th lvl; ECL 3, Barb 2, Fgt 2. I ada a little more lattitude starting with 4 class levels, feats (all core) include EWP (Spked Chain), combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes.

His main weakness is will save and I plan to get Iron WIll ASAP.
what kind of stats do you have?

high int (13+), high dex(13+) at least to make combat reflexes worthwhile, decent con from dwarf bonus.. and i guess high str to give you some damage/attack potential.

but i would guess low wis and low cha.

pbd

First Post
diaglo said:
what kind of stats do you have?

high int (13+), high dex(13+) at least to make combat reflexes worthwhile, decent con from dwarf bonus.. and i guess high str to give you some damage/attack potential.

but i would guess low wis and low cha.

We don't use point buy and I rolled pretty well, but the half-dragon stat boosts ceratinly help.

nittanytbone

First Post
Link: Fighter-20: The "Gatling Chain Gun" Tripper by Snow Savant
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=163005

And my own advice.

Race:
*You will need many feats to pull this off. That makes being a human attractive.
*Large size is also a big advantage because it increases your reach. If your DM will let you be something that's large for LA +1 or +2, go for it.
*This build is somewhat appropriate for a dwarf, but dwarves benefit most from wearing heavy armor and moving slow. Chain wielders need high dexterity, which means you don't want to be in heavy armor. Your call.

Ability Scores:
*You want Dex to be at least 14 if not 16. Why? So that you can use combat reflexes to good effect.
*Str should be 14 if possible. This boosts your trip checks and does x1.5 damage (the chain is a two handed weapon).
*Secondary Stats: Wisdom and Con. Every fighter needs con. And don't dump wisdom if you can avoid itas you will have a bad enough will save.
*Tertiary Stats: Int and Cha. Int needs to be at least 13, so you can't totally dump it, but don't pump it much higher than that. Cha can be dumped.

Feats:
First, combat expertise and improved trip are essential. Take them at first level.
Combat Reflexes is also essential. You need to control a large area perhaps even while flatfooted, so get this ASAP.
Exotic Weapon Prof: Spiked Chain can wait a bit. Until you are proficient, I'd suggest using a reach polearm such as a guisarme backed up with a close-in melee weapon.

At this point you have some options. I don't think Improved Disarm is worth it, but if you're fighting lots of humanoids, it might be. I generally also do not think that Improved Feint is very worthwhile. However, if you have a high bluff skill, it might be, merely because your trip attacks are then basically against AC 10 (touch attacks ignore armor and shield, feinting negates their dexterity bonus) so you should always hit.

Dodge-->Mobiltiy-->Spring Attack is attractive, especially because you can then pick up Whirlwind attack. If I went the Spring Attack Route, I would be heavily tempted to multiclass (maybe a level or two of rogue or even a spellcaster class) to increase my utility... Spring Attackers only make one attack per round so BAB doesn't matter as much, and you are less vulnerable to enemy attackers so you can lose a few HP and still be ok.

Power Attack is also fun. The chain is a two-handed weapon so you get to trade your to hit points in for 2 damage each. And combined with Improved Trip, it's deadly -- you get +4 to hit prone opponents! Also, power attack gives you an option vs. non-humanoid opponents. You can always whip out your greatsword and start doing massive damage against that non-trippable dragon or elephant or demon!

If you can, pick up Iron Will. This is a good feat for any fighter-type: Have you seen your will save?

If your Dex ends up being four or more points higher than your Str, Weapon Finesse is a good bet. This also reduces your magic-item dependency: Instead of a Belt of Giant Str +4 and Gloves of Dex +4, you just need the latter... Then again, your str checks to trip don't get helped by it either.

Multiclassing

I think rogue synergizes nicely with a chain wielder, especially with a 2 level dip to get evasion. You've got high intelligence, so you can keep your Search and Disable Device checks up throughout your career. You've got high dex, so your reflex save is good and you'll probably make your evasion check. Getting a few ranks in Use Magic Device, multiclassing to wizard, or taking a few level of a cleric type with the str domain is also handy so you can use scrolls and wands of enlarge person -- they're much cheaper than potions.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
nittanytbone said:
Race:
*You will need many feats to pull this off. That makes being a human attractive.
*Large size is also a big advantage because it increases your reach. If your DM will let you be something that's large for LA +1 or +2, go for it.
Or play a Psionic Warrior with Expansion. At level 7 you can use Expansion to grow to Huge size :] However, if you do play a large race, check out Large And In Charge, I believe it's from Savage Species. It would basicly allow you to stop movement into areas you threaten.
nittanytbone said:
*This build is somewhat appropriate for a dwarf, but dwarves benefit most from wearing heavy armor and moving slow. Chain wielders need high dexterity, which means you don't want to be in heavy armor. Your call.
Armor just restricts your Dexterity bonus to AC, not for anything else so feel free to wear heavy armor with your high dex.
nittanytbone said:
Feats:
First, combat expertise and improved trip are essential. Take them at first level.
Combat Reflexes is also essential. You need to control a large area perhaps even while flatfooted, so get this ASAP.
And Hold the Line is good too. If you're charged, it gives you a last ditch chance to trip and prevent the attack.
nittanytbone said:
Exotic Weapon Prof: Spiked Chain can wait a bit. Until you are proficient, I'd suggest using a reach polearm such as a guisarme backed up with a close-in melee weapon.
I disagree, this should be your first pick. only after you are proficient can you start lining up Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization and friends (assuming you're a fighter). Besides, the sooner you take this feat, the sooner you can take advantage of the ability to fight with reach and up close.
nittanytbone said:
Dodge-->Mobiltiy-->Spring Attack is attractive, especially because you can then pick up Whirlwind attack.
The main benefit, in my opinion, is Whirlwind, but only if you plan on fighting hordes :) Note: You cannot combine Whirlwind attack with Cleave or Great Cleave.
nittanytbone said:
Power Attack is also fun. The chain is a two-handed weapon so you get to trade your to hit points in for 2 damage each. And combined with Improved Trip, it's deadly -- you get +4 to hit prone opponents! Also, power attack gives you an option vs. non-humanoid opponents. You can always whip out your greatsword and start doing massive damage against that non-trippable dragon or elephant or demon!
Why? The spiked chain is just as good and the reach allows you to avoid their reach...
nittanytbone said:
Multiclassing

I think rogue synergizes nicely with a chain wielder, especially with a 2 level dip to get evasion.
This is also nice if you do alot of feinting ... a successful feint means no dex bonus to AC, which means sneak attack! :]

And Barbian Rage can be nice too...

The great thing about the Chain Fighter build is that he doesn't have to be an offensive monster, he can be excellent at preventing anyone from getting near the casters and other fragile classes ...

Victim

First Post
I don't agree that chain wielders need high dex, especially if you put it over STR. A spiked chain fighter is a fighter still, and thus needs STR for attack and damage. Sure, you can finess the chain, but then you lose out on lots of damage and need to spend another feat. Also, you need STR to trip people - DEX only works defensively on trips. There's little point to a trip based build unless you can make your trip attacks stick. Finally, the potential for lots of AoOs with a high Dex and Combat Reflexes isn't necessarily lots of extra of extra attacks from combat reflexes. Most of the time, your extra AoOs will go waste.

Power Attack lets you make full use of the +4 you get vs prone targets. I'd take Power Attack, Cleave, and Combat Reflexes at first level. There's no better time for Cleave than 1st level, since you can one shot most of your enemies. With a reach weapon and Cleave, you should be able to take out several orc or goblins before they close.

Iron Will is good of course, as is the feat Mage Slayer from Complete Arcane (if the DM let's you take it). Mage Slayer adds you to Will save AND keeps people from casting defensively in your threatened area. Since you threaten all of 10ft, foes can't 5' step away to cast if you're next to them. Also, if they attempt to take the AoO moving away then cast outside your reach, you can trip them so they can't escape.

Remove ads