• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain fighter

mother1219

First Post
Okay, so I've decided that I want to make a fighter who uses spiked chains as his weapon.

I am joining a campaign as a level 10 or 11. I need a full build idea for a chain user. Please be as detailed in feat selections as you can. Please use only WotC books, core stuff, complete series, etc. Also I'd love it if people would post the build all the way to 20.

Feel free to use Master of Chains PrC. Doesn't have to be straight fighter, of course. However, I want no more than three total classes (including PrC).

Thanks for any help, folks. I really appreciate the help and people being as specific as possible. If you could note where the feat comes from, that would be cool, too.

Thanks!

Stats (unassigned and not yet added the extra two points gained from being level 10): 17, 16, 16, 15, 15, 9

Pick a race that's beneficial as well. I'd love a half-orc if possible.

Yig

First Post
For race, I'd use Half-ogre (LA +2, in RoS). I would go barb 1/fighter X.

Bump the 17 to 18 (Str) and one 15 to 16. 9 to Cha :)

You also need a good Dex.

As for feats, Combat Reflexes and Improved Trip are a must. Weapon Focus and Spec are also good. Power Attack.

It's a bit cheesy but it is effecient :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Sorry for not being too specific, just giving an idea that my wife had. She made a half-orc barbarian/champion of gwynharyf (sp? from the BoXD I believe) that used the spiked chain a lot. Spells while raging plus spiked chain = very cool.

Hammerhead

Explorer
My current character is a Half Orc Fighter 6/EWP 3 with the Spiked Chain. He has an Int of 13 for Improved Trip, a feat without peer. The Exotic Weapon Master Class lets you Flurry with the Spiked Chain (1 extra attack, -2 to all other attacks), get a +2 bonus on Trip checks with the Chain, and ignore cover bonuses to AC while using the Chain as well. It's an awesome class for any spiked Chain Wielder...I'd recommend a Half-Orc Fighter 8/EWP 3 who likes to drink Enlarge potions before fights for awesome reach and tripping goodness.

mother1219

First Post
I'm afraid I don't know what EWP is. I'm quite new a lot of this. I haven't played since 2.0. That's why I was asking for specifics. Your build sounds neat though. Can you tell me what EWP is and where to look it up?

Thanks so much.

Tinner

First Post
Here's how I'd do it.
Not knowing your game, I used the default array for stats, and added +1 to Dex and Con at level 4 & 8 respectively.
Exotic WM is from Complete Warrior, and I took the stunts Flurry of Strikes, Show Off, and Trip Attack. With the Cha bonus, and Intimidate maxed out, you can put a penalty on every opponent you fight.
Again, not knowing your game, I assumed standard wealth levels, and picked gear appropriately. The Solarian Truesteel is from Arms & Equipment Guide, and it adds +1 to confirm criticals.

Mother1219 (CR 10, HD 7d10+3d10+20)
Human Fighter 7/Exotic Weapon Master 3
Medium Humanoid
Init +7 Spd 20
Listen -1, Spot -1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 23 (FF 20, Touch 13) plus Dodge
hp 79 (Disabled -2/Dying -14/Injury 14)
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +3
Wondrous: Vest of Resistance +1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atk +12/+7 base melee, +13/+8 base ranged; Grapple +12;
+15/+10 Melee (+1 Solarian Truesteel Chain, spiked 2d4+6/crit 20/x2)
Fighter Features: Bonus Feat (4), Proficiency: Tower Shield; Exotic Weapon Master Features: Exotic Weapon Stunt, Flurry of Strikes, Show Off, Trip Attack;
Abilities: STR 14, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 12
Feats: Armor Proficiency: heavy, Armor Proficiency: light, Armor Proficiency: medium, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Chain, spiked, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Spring Attack, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Chain, spiked, Weapon Specialization: Chain, spiked.
Skills: Balance +1, Climb +7, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +7, Escape Artist +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +14, Jump +1, Move Silently +1, Swim +3.
Weapons: +1 Solarian Truesteel Chain, spiked. Armor: +2 Mithral Full plate. (Spell Failure 25%). Goods: Coin: gp (24); Coin: sp (10). Magic: Vest of Resistance +1.

Magesmiley

Explorer
I'm going to have to support the half-ogre as well. If you're going to use the spiked chain, a large creature will capitalize on its best benefit (reach) the most. The master of chains is well, kind of weak. I'd look hard at the exotic weapon master.

I don't have my books handy, so correct my errors please folks.
Half-Ogre (+2 ECL Races of Stone)
Fighter 7 or 8 (8 if you end up with an 11th level character).
Exotic Weapon Master 1

Feats:
Exotic WP (Spiked Chain)
Combat Reflexes
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Power Attack
Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)
Large and In Charge (Monster Manual)
Cleave
(Great Cleave, if Fighter 8)

Take the Flurry of Strikes for the Exotic Weapon Master.

Ugh, not remembering the racial mods for the half-ogre.
I'd go:
Str 17
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 15
Wis 15
Cha 9
Probably put the extra level points in strength. You might need to raise your int for combat expertise though (as I said I can't remember the race modifier, its either -2 or -4 for int).

Size makes a huge difference with the chain, both for reach and when tripping. You won't regret the two levels you give up for the benefit of being a large creature.

mother1219

First Post
Thank you all! These are great ideas. I'll definitely look into half-ogre instead of half-orc. I was wondering if Exotic Weapons Master might be worthwhile. I'll look into further.

Remove ads