• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain spell feat from T&B and Ritual casting from R&R 1

Chain spell from Tome and Blood states any spell can be chained. To me that includes both offensive and ones that would be considered either defensive or 'buff' like in nature. (like bull's strength) Chain spell raises a spells level by 3 when prepared.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Ritual casting from R&R 1, basically lets you use any spell at the regular level, while metamagicked up. There's a DC roll you have to make and it requires a LOT more time to cast the spell. (the DC isnt that hard to make) So the only drawback to casting anything using ritual casting, is that you cant do it in combat due to the time involved.

Example. Cleric A, casts a chained blindsight spell using ritual casting. For a cost of 25 gold x 3(the levels it is metamagicked up) or 75 gold. Now chain spell lets me 'chain' this to the entire party of say 5 people (chain lets you cast it at a number of people equal to your caster level). The DC check to successfully ritual cast this is DC 13 (10+3 for blindsight..3rd lvl spell) which is rolled against the skill ritual casting.

So for 75 gold, assuming say a 5th level caster, you now have an entire party of 5 people covered with blindsight for 5hrs at the cost of 1, 3rd lvl spell slot.

Thoughts?

I know the cash outgo adds up, but it just seems questionable to me that something would completely takeout the drawback to metamagicking something. (and I understand you cant do it in combat)

Xarlen

First Post
Re: Re: Chain spell feat from T&B and Ritual casting from R&R 1

I will say that the Chained Spell feat from T&B sucks. There are very, very few spells you can chain with it. You can't chain Ray spells, for instance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads