• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain Stores And D&D

Stormonu

Legend
This. The D&D range is pretty much exclusively books. So it would need to come up with some products that fit in with a toy and game section (i.e. Ravenloft boardgame) in order to get back in to these stores. You may even need to create basically a board game version of D&D to get people in to the game. You would then use those products as a gateway before transitioning them in to your main game line (i.e. PHB, DMG, MM, etc.).

Olaf the Stout

I agree on this. I want that Ravenloft board game, despite the fact I've got the old I6, House of Strahd, the 25th anniversary reprint and Expedition to Ravenloft. I'm not a 4E fan, but WotC could certainly get my dollars with these sort of board games, if they are self-contained.

Skallgrim

First Post
As a B&N employee (and the guy who orders all the D&D stuff at our store), I can tell you for a FACT that the amount of D&D (and RPG stuff) at a store is almost totally determined by whether or not an informed and interested person is working at that store.

I have ordered every single D&D thing since 4e came out (and before), and it steadily increased our sales. However, even now, I have to increase all of the initial orders of this material, or we only get 2-3 copies of each new book as it comes out.

This is largely because our buyers do purchasing for entire regions of the country, and often don't have the time to look at the sales history of a particular store. Our RPG buyer is also our SciFi buyer, and while he is a GREAT guy, he's making purchasing decisions for every B&N in the country for all SciFi/Fantasy/Graphic Novel/Manga and RPG titles. No wonder he can't devote much time to it!

In addition, he has no real way to gauge whether an area has a FLGS which will capture most of the sales, or whether that B&N is the source for gamers in the area. He also doesn't know whether a particular D&D book has good buzz, or has been previewed to rather lackluster response on WOTC's site.

The local store has to have a gamer who will do that stuff, and do it off the clock. If I wasn't into playing D&D, I wouldn't know nearly as much. As I don't play much of other RPGs, I'm sure they get under-represented at our store too. I'd like to do more, but that research would basically be volunteer work.

One thing I can tell you that will help, if you want your local B&N to stock more D&D, is not just to buy there (of course that helps). Pre-order your books there if you plan on buying them there. If you choose to 'pre-pay' for the book (and have it shipped to you directly, which can be free depending on how much you buy), you can even get the online price. If you don't see something on the shelf, ask them to order it. The amount of D&D a store gets is influenced off their sales, of course, but also off their preorders.

Waaaay too many times, someone comes in looking for a book and just looks, doesn't see it, and leaves. Even if you don't want to order the book, ask an employee about it. Many of us will order books for the store, based on customer requests, even if the customer doesn't order one for themselves.

We can't read minds. If I don't play Pathfinder, how am I gonna know that a new supplement is coming out? How am I going to know that ten people want to buy it from us on the day of release, and not two?

I'm not trying to drum up sales for B&N on this. The same thing applies to your FLGS, or even your local book store. It's always going to help if someone at the store plays "your game". However, even if no one does, you can often get your local store (whatever it may be) to carry more stock of stuff you want, if you will talk to them.

On the D&D minis, I can tell you one thing. The newer boxes were a HUGE improvement over the old card boxes. It was a real shame that they rolled those out basically as they were ending the miniatures game. The older card boxes were a huge theft problem for us. People would open them, and either take all the minis, or re-distribute the minis they wanted, and then buy those boxes. Most stores in our area gave up on carrying them due to theft. I moved all of ours behind the counter, and put empty "display" boxes on the sales floor, so you could pick out the expansion you wanted, take the box to the register, and buy "full" boxes there. Not many B&Ns are willing to take the time to do that for a relatively low cost item (compared to the computer books and medical textbooks that are also being stolen). The newer boxes were much more resistant to those theft shenanigans.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As a B&N employee (and the guy who orders all the D&D stuff at our store), I can tell you for a FACT that the amount of D&D (and RPG stuff) at a store is almost totally determined by whether or not an informed and interested person is working at that store.

I can believe it- a friend of mine worked at one or the other (I don't recall which), and she asked me several times about my collection and what was new in order to make suggestions about what they should carry.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here in Canada, the chain book store Chapters always has D&D (and sometimes Star Wars) books; although, the selection is usually limted to the newest releases. I've also seen D&D books in Coles and Smithbooks.

However, those chain stores almost never have any other roleplaying books.

Here in Edmonton, I have to go to hobby, comic, used book stores, and speciality stores to find roleplaying books (Card Sharks (in WEM), Happy Harbour Comics, Millenium (also in WEM), WARP 1 or 2, Wee Book Inn (4 locations), Whyte Knight, etc).

Millenium has a good selection of D&D books and the last time I was there they still had a lot of v.3.5 books for Forgotten Relams and Eberron. (No discounts, however.)

physicscarp

Explorer
On the D&D minis,... The older card boxes were a huge theft problem for us.

Are D&D books stolen more often than other materials in bookstores? I know that they still put those annoying electronic security tags in many of the RPG books at my local chain bookstores. Certainly in the 80s during D&D's greatest popularity, many bookstores had trouble with theft of D&D material, but is it still a noticeable problem?

Obryn

Hero
I picked up Powers & Perils (and all the supplements for it) in the discount bin at Toys R Us. And I snagged a near-complete set of Dark Sun modules, marked down at Kay*Bee.

Other than that, I mostly got my gaming fix at Waldenbooks, growing up.

-O

Ahnehnois

First Post
My local Borders carries not only D&D but a decent selection of Pathfinder and a few other scattered rpg books. However, most bookstores I've been to don't (or just carry a few 4e books but nothing else), which ought to be corrected.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I picked up Powers & Perils (and all the supplements for it) in the discount bin at Toys R Us. And I snagged a near-complete set of Dark Sun modules, marked down at Kay*Bee.

Other than that, I mostly got my gaming fix at Waldenbooks, growing up.

-O

I got the same Darksun stuff, many of my D&D Gazetteers, the 2e Mystara stuff (including Red Steel which I actually like) from Kaybee. For a while, they were the best place for me to find gaming stuff.

I also got a lot of marked-down Weapons & Warriors games. It was sad when they stopped carrying everyone else's unsold goods.

arscott

First Post
Are D&D books stolen more often than other materials in bookstores? I know that they still put those annoying electronic security tags in many of the RPG books at my local chain bookstores. Certainly in the 80s during D&D's greatest popularity, many bookstores had trouble with theft of D&D material, but is it still a noticeable problem?
D&D book theft was a big enough problem at our local B&N that they moved all the books behind the counter. One of the local game stores buys used merchandise (and pays pretty nicely for like-new D&D hardcovers), so some unscrupulous folks were stealing from B&N and selling to the FLGS.

Skallgrim

First Post

I can't speak for the whole chain, of course. Our store gets one of every new release stolen in the first few days, invariably. Other than that, it's not too much of a problem.

Our theft rates for RPG books is well below our theft rate for Graphic Novels. On the other hand, we do use a theft tag in every single RPG book (and Graphic Novel). Hopefully our new ones are less annoying than the old ones. The new ones are designed to peel off easily. That may seem counterintuitive, but since they can be removed like a Post-it, we can stick it on any of the hundreds of pages in a book, making it much harder to find. We only use the gluey, impossible to remove ones on stuff that is shrink-wrapped (which means we find it on the wrapper in the bathroom).

The old D&D minis, however, were in those cardstock boxes. Even if we tagged the box, you could pick up several boxes, carry them around (since we encourage people to browse) and take the contents (or redistribute the contents), all without removing the tag. Once I got a system to prevent them from being taken so easily, our sales of them was at least ten times what it had been before.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads