OD&D Chainmail is 50 years old!

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I have both. Battlesystem in the boxed set. Chainmail as a photocopy of a copy I borrowed from the King County Library System as a teenager. :ROFLMAO:

I could totally see myself playing Chainmail at some point. And the fantasy supplement is definitely fun and informative to read, especially alongside OD&D, to see the first iterations of some of the ideas and concepts and monsters and spells we're still playing with today.

Battlesystem not so much.

Were did I have that write-up..? This was a big fight I put together for my son and his friends for a big birthday battle in my campaign world. This was about three years ago and a great time was had.

Against the Ivory King

PART 1 - THE GATHERING

“It’s time.”

The paladin picked up an orb of steel and glass. Twisting it, it chittered and whirred opening like a flower. The image of Cardin the Sorcerer appeared within the petals. Cardin grinned, saying, “So you’re ready to move against the Ivory King?”

“Yes, I’ve finally gotten the allies that I needed.”

“Shall I reach out to Rin, then? He is eager to try out a new design of his brass men.”

“Definitely. We will need forces that can resist the touch of the ghouls. And, the fury of the spirits bound within their cold chassis will give them the strength they need to tear through the Ivory King’s undead throng.”

"Excellent. I will be there in a month's time," said Cardin as the image faded.

The word went out, another paladin joined them, Medic, one who focused more on the skill of healing than wielding his hammer.

Blaze, a magician from the Pearl Tower, frowned as he hurried toward its massive front steps. A summons, from the Archmage himself! It was nearly unheard of for the Archmage to speak to one outside his inner circle.

“His Sagacity is waiting for you, Blaze.”

“Do you know why the Archmage summoned me?” Could he know my plans?

“His Sagacity has mentioned only that he is curious about your upcoming assault.” I… guess so…

The doors opened to the great hall within the Pearl Tower. Blaze was nothing if not confident; wielding the arcane power that he did hesitancy or insecurity resulted only in miscast spells and the flow of Chaos going horribly awry. Magicians decided, then acted with resolve. He strode into the hall.

Archmage Feyn was not sitting upon his throne, but rather conversing with some other magicians of the order in the open gallery. Acknowledging Blaze, the Archmage excused the other magicians that he was talking to and waited almost regally as Blaze approached. The air of frankincense and cinnamon was unmistakable, it almost hung like a cloud around the Archmage. His robes were ornate, yet not gaudy. The jewels of the rings on his fingers glowed with inner potency, and the staff that he held almost shone with power as Blaze got near.

“I am here as you commanded, your Sagacity.”

“You seek to move against the Ivory King.” It was a statement, not a question.

“Yes, your Sagacity.”

“Why?” He asked.

For a moment, Blaze couldn’t think of anything to say. It was perhaps the last question he was prepared to answer; what do you seek to learn, what loot or prize do you seek, what lore do you seek amongst his minions? Answers for those questions he had already rehearsed. “Because of friendship, and for the good of the people that near that live near the Shadowlands.”

The Archmage smiled slightly. “An answer reminiscent of my youth, and the stories that my father told me. Very well, I have two gifts for you. They are the legacy of my father who taught me magic, and you will return them to me proper condition. Do not make me leave this Tower to retrieve them from your corpse. I shall be most displeased with that eventuality.”

“I… I shall not disappoint you, your Sagacity.”

“Excellent. I’m sure you will not.”

Two others joined them; both thieves who have mastered the art of stealth. Zenia was a friend to the Rat King, and she gained the ability to speak to all those with fur. Tyla was an ally of the Parliament of Owls, marked so by her cloak that allowed her to fly as silently as the fae owls she had befriended.

Cardin leaned forward, “I’ve spoken with the artificer Rin, and he will lend us a squad of brass men. Even now they are marching down the Spice Road, and will be here within the week.”

Tyla said, “the Stargazer of Warwick will hire out a score of his ornithopters. Gilead, didn’t you say the Ivory King had no flying creatures?”

The paladin Gilead nodded, “as far as I can tell he has none. Skeletons and zombies are numerous, and he has plenty of ghouls. There are even some draugr that wear terror like a cloak. But, he has nothing that flies.”

The sorcerer Cardin said, “also I have hired a squad of the galvanic foot soldiers of Jasp, and a unit of their cogwheel archers. Between the lightning spears and the clockwork powered bows, we should be able to take care of the draugr. Cavalry and some pikemen from the city-states of Amber and Beryl should handle the shamblers.”

Medic leaned forward. “Have we been able to recruit Prelate Oglethorpe? He mentioned he wasn’t willing to leave the Temple of Dawn’s Twilight.”

Gilead smiled, “the Temple of the Singing Flame in Spicegate will send priests and guards to make sure the temple does not fall while The Prelate is with us. We will need him to protect our people against the paralysis of the ghouls.”

“Stalwart Elenia will be with us, too. A knight of the Order of the Gorgon will be nearly unstoppable,” said Tyla.

“And Asher will round out the team,” said Cardin. “He’s a strange one, but he wields one of the blackblades, and between that and his flash step he will be almost unstoppable on the battlefield.”

“Remember,” said Gilead, “we are not to engage the Ivory King’s army. We are to evade and reach the wall. The breach in the castle wall of Shodan was made by the Ivory King. And so, it was sealed with a wall of green fire.” He held up of rod lacquered black with gold runes carved in. “This rod will dispel those flames, and we can get in. But, we must do so unseen, otherwise we will give the Ivory King a chance to learn what we can do and prepare for us.”

“It’s time for Team Phoenix to lift the city-state of Shodan back from the dead.”

Troops of the Jewel Cities

Amberian Heavy Horse – 2 units
Beryllian Light Foot – 4 units (w/ polearms)
Beryllian Medium Horse – 3 units
Jaspian Galvanic Foot – 1 units (w/ magic polearms)
Jaspian Cogwheel Archers – 1 unit (longbows)
Ornithopters of the Stargazer (Light Foot, Flight)– 4 units
Rin’s Brass Men – 1 unit (counts as 4 heavy foot)
Hashlemac of Taltasqa – 2 units (heavy foot, -1 kill each exchange)
Strike Team – No attacks, Move 9/12

Heroes

Elenia – Magic Armor
Oglethorp – Rally (stacked units are immune to ghoul paralysis or draugr forced morale checks), Shockwave (Lightning Bolt), Light (x1)
Asher – Magic Weapon, Dimension Door (24”, x3)

Troops of the Ivory King

Skeletons (Light Foot, no charge) – 6 units x2
Zombies (Heavy Foot, move 6) – 12 units x1
Ghouls (Light Horse, Paralysis) – 6 units x2
Draugr (Medium Horse x2, Paralysis, Fear) – 1 unit x2
Flesh Golem (Heavy Foot x6) – 1 unit
Lich – Invisibility, Fireball, Detection, Slow, Phantasmal Force
Heavy Catapult

Victory Conditions

Primary: Strike Team reaches Ivory King side of the board undetected.
Secondary: Eliminate Ivory King’s army with Strike Force remaining undetected.
Tertiary: Strike Team reaches Ivory King side of the board detected.

IVORY KING chooses troops.
TEAM PHOENIX chooses troops.
IVORY KING places troops.
TEAM PHOENIX places troops.

Last edited:

Remove ads