OD&D Chainmail is 50 years old!

PART 2 – OPENING MOVES

Tyla and Zinnia returned from their scouting. Tyla, swooping in on owls wing, reported “the armies are doing their jobs. The Ivory King’s forces are drawn to the east and the north”. Zinnia said, “we might have a problem. There is a small force running up from the south. I thought that they were orcs at first, but they’re too big.” The Army with the strike force was preparing to march east, but they readied themselves from this assault from the South.

As they got closer, Medic raised his hand. “Stand down everyone,” said Medic. “They are from Taltasqa. This should be interesting.” A dozen warriors a head taller than anyone else, with an
overdeveloped, almost grotesque musculature, ran up to the command tent and stood at attention. Gilead stepped forward, “why are you here?”

“Through the will of the Provider, we have been sent to aid you. We are the Hashlemac of Taltasqa, Bloodfeasters of the Provider (blessed be the Provider). From visions granted to us (the Provider feeds us), we saw that you were in need. (the Provider sustains us) We wish to aid you in your battle, and to give your foes our gifts (the Provider guides us).”

“Gifts? What would you give the Ivory King?!”

“The gift of the Provider’s Pain…(glory to the Provider)”

Medic stepped in front of Gilead. Holding up his left hand, he cut into his wrist. As the blood ran down his arm, he said “accept my gift of respect, thin and weak as it is compared to the Gifts of the Provider.” The Hashlemac leader’s intense gaze turned to Medic. “I do accept it. We shall wage war with you!’ One of juniors came forward and caught the blood in a wide brass bowl. They moved off, and Gilead healed Medic’s wound. “What is going on?” Medic grinned, “You’ve just been offered the services of the craziest, hardest to kill fanatics on the continent. I said ‘yes’ for you.”

The army moved out, but the Hashlemac hung back for a ritual. Medic looked over at Gilead, “come with me, you’ve gotta see this! Hide over there, and don’t let them see you.”

They stood in a circle, holding the broad brass bowl. Their leader started a chant and they swayed to the rhythm. Soon they all were singing and dancing in a circle, the bearer holding the bowl standing still. They stopped, suddenly, and their leader held up a jug decorated with seals and ribbons.

“THE BLOOD OF THE PROVIDER!” he roared.

“EVER SHALL WE BE SUSTAINED!” they replied.

The jug was emptied into the bowl, pouring a thick red liquid. Then, all but the bearer slashed their wrists and bled into the bowl. As one of the Hashlemac began to sway, the bowl was brought so that he could drink. He took the bowl and went to the next one about to fall from blood loss. One by one, they drank from the bowl, infused with the blood of their comrades and the mysterious “Provider”.

“WE HAVE FEASTED UPON THE PROVIDER’S GIFTS!” roared their leader.

“WE PRAISE THE PROVIDER!”

“DO YOU BURN?”

“WE BURN!”

“DO YOU RAGE?”

“WE RAGE!”

“TO THE FOE!”

“WE BRING OUR GIFTS TO THE FOE!”

“Who are these people?” whispered Gilead, horrified.

“If you ever travel to Taltasqa,” whispered Medic, “never eat anything red.”

The six players of Team Phoenix discussed the troop composition for over an hour. My son, who plays Cardin, put forth his “beta list”, but that fell apart quickly during the discussion. At first, I was a bit concerned over how much time they were taking, but I saw that everyone was engaged. They were taking this quite seriously! Once they committed to their forces, I set out my troops. As they were setting up theirs, as they could see what was ahead (roughly), their first comments were “Woah, that’s a lot of zombies…”, “why aren’t there any casters?”, and “we needed a lot more archers!”

The Board (smaller than I thought)

The square on the left is a mushroom forest. The large square on the right is a hill, the small one is a collection of ruined buildings. (Left/Right based on the castle)

IVORY KING troops:
Ghouls, skeletons, zombies, a golem, skeletons, 2 draugr in the back, ghouls. (LR) If you squint, you might see the invisible lich on the castle wall behind the first squad of skeletons. (Heh. Heh.)

TEAM PHOENIX troops:
Not quite sure, but two units of ornithopters were on each side. The hashlemac (berserkers) and Oglethorp were on the right hand side, Elenia and the Brass Men on the left. The heavy horse, medium horse, and light foot grouped themselves in pairs, with the last medium horse, galvanic foot, and cogwheel archers scattered about. Asher was in the middle. The large amber piece was the strike team. “Undetected” meant greater than 3” from any Ivory King force, and more than 18” from any unit with Detection.

Round 1
Troops moved forward uniformly. Ivory King troops moved forward slowly, keeping pace with the zombies in the center. The ghouls on the left peeled off, circling around the mushroom forest.

Round 2
Player’s forces begin to drift to the right, distrustful of the Mushroom Forest. The Cogwheel archers take out a skeleton. “We needed more archers,” says Blaze. “I’m sorry,” says Tyla. Asher dimension doors between the hill and the ruins to be a hard point for the assault. A draugr charges and delivers a wound! “Why was that a good idea, again?” “It’s Asher, he’ll be fine.”

Round 3
“Okay, missile phase is next.”

“Right. The cogwheels…”

“Oh, my bad, artillery is actually the second phase.”

“WHAT? They have ARTILLERY?”

“Indeed they do. FOOM! A score of severed heads, bound together with a net and blazing with a greenish-yellow flame, arcs over the battlefield and,” - rolls dice - “impacts thunderously in the open area devoid of any troops.”

Energized, Team Phoenix makes their move! The Beryllian Horse charge forward into a squad of skeletons, destroying all but one of them. Unfortunately, the draugr is right next to them, and attacks, paralyzing them! The Hashlemac, accompanied by Oglethorp, charge up the right and attack a squad of ghouls. There is a lot of dice rolling, with not too much in the way of results. The strike team sneaks to the ruins, and the rest of the forces come up the middle.

Round 4-6
Team Phoenix begins to see the advantage of having a group of four or more units in a squad. Three main skirmishes develop. The Beryllian horse is tragically eaten by the zombie horde as they are paralyzed by the draugr. Two units of Amberian heavy horse and Asher try to help, but there are just too many zombies. The ornithopters have been completely ineffectual. Two units each have flown around the battle, but just can’t do any damage to the ghouls. They meet up behind the zombies, now four units strong. They pack a mighty sting, and actually take out one or two zombies.

The other draugr and skeleton unit are marching down the middle, and meet up with the Beryllian Foot and the Jaspian Galvanic Foot.

“To the right, sarge!”

“I see it. Ready! Who Are We?”

“THE FIRST GALVANC! PRIDE OF JASP!”

“What Do We Do?”

“WE COMMAND THE LIGHTNING’S HAND!”

“Call The Lightning and Bring The Thunder!”

Their flank shielded by the Thresher’s Boys of the 4th Beryllian Light Foot, the 1st Galvanic tore into the skeletons and the draugr that lead them. The intense light from their galvanic glaves hindered the draugr, and all the units had polearms, preventing a meaningful counter attack. The means of their destruction was hastened by Elenia and the Brass Men bursting out of hiding in the Mushroom Forest, shredding the skeletons.

The Hashlemac were a whirlwind of death. Limbs, from the ghouls and their own, went flying. Claws rended, axes hacked, and bodies picked up and hurled through the air.

At a pause, as the ghouls regrouped. The Hashlemac looked around, and then raised their axes.

“WORTHY FOES!” they screamed. “GLORY TO THE PROVIDER FOR THIS PRECIOUS GIFT! COME FORWARD ONCE MORE, AND RECEIVE YOUR REDEMPTION THROUGH PAIN!”

“Why am I here?!” sobbed Oglethorp.

There was a whole lot of nothing going on here. For at least five rounds, there were no losses on either side.

“Sir, a pack of ghouls is circling about the forest!”

“Indeed. Troops! Long sights! Hold this position and open fire!”

The pack of ghouls that had started maneuvering around the forest to attack the Galvanic rear came under fire from the one unit of archers Team Phoenix had. The ghouls would spend the rest of their unlives charging the single unit of archers, way over there. Surprisingly, the archers would drop the last ghoul not 4 inches away from their position.

Cardin, Medic, and Gilead conferred, “Okay guys, I think that we need to move our last horse over here…”

“What is that?” said Tyla.

“What?” said I.

“That blue unit on the wall.”

“Oh, well. I believe the tag says ‘lich’.”

“WHAT?” “Well, there’s the spellcaster.” “You know, we don’t have any units with Detection.” “I’m sorry.” “It’s okay, Tyla.”

“And..., fireball.”

“Oh, f---!”

“Language…!”

The lich actually appeared round 4, but didn’t act until round 5. Still Tyla’s player was quite observant. The lich became visible to cast Phantasmal Force to have a giant burst out of the Mushroom Forest. It was summarily ignored under the maxim of “bigger fish to fry”. Which, actually, they did. After the Cogwheel Archers took out the last ghoul, they fired a pot-shot at the giant since they hadn’t moved. Which, then, revealed its illusiory nature. Ah, well.

PART-3 DECISIVE ACTION

I believe this was taken beginning of Round 7, after movement. At this point, you can see the three main skirmishes. The castle is off frame to the left, as is the blue lich counter.

Far left, ghouls (blue) vs. Hashlemac and the priest Oglethorp.

Middle, what’s left of the zombies and the flesh golem vs two heavy and one medium cavalry to the front and the assembled ornithopters coming up from behind. (I think the red counter next to, but off of, the zombie card is a draugr. Not sure if he’s still kicking at this point. The draugr were red with a metallic finish to distinguish them.)

Right, a draugr and the skeletons surrounded by the 1st Galvanic, Thresher Boys, Brass Men, and Elenia the practically unkillable.

In the back, you see the last charge of the light ghouls, embracing their fate at the hands of the Cogwheel Archers. (Volleyed and Thundered!)

The large clear unit is the illusiory giant, woefully ignored.

In the middle is Asher. Asher… well, we’ll get to him in a bit. I’ll say that his appearance in this game certainly mirrored his NPC stats and status in my D&D game.

It’s hard to do a round-by-round at this point, despite it being fairly dramatic.

Starting in Round 6, the lich and the heavy catapult started dishing out serious damage. The heavy catapult could fire every three rounds. The first shot at Round 3 missed completely, but grabbed attention with both hands. Over the next three rounds, the catapult would fire twice (6,9) and the lich would throw two fireballs (7,9). One of the four would go careening off somewhere harmless. The others would be remarkably dead on, either hitting square or only off by an inch.

The blasts from artillery and fireballs would completely destroy the ghoul / Hashlemac conflict. It was completely covered by the blast template, hit dead on, and I rolled really high for the blast vs. hero check. With one thunderous blast of a score of screaming skulls the conflict ended, and no one heard Oglethorp’s “why am I here?” again.

The draugr were caught. It circled within a ring of galvanic glaves and alchemical steel halbards, snarling at the hated living. The light burned! Ash fell from its withered flesh and it could find no route for escape. They ordered the skeletons of Shodan’s ancestors to shield them from their mortal foes.

Brass men waded into combat, fists falling like hammers. Bone shattered under the assault directed by Dame Elenia, Knight of the Order of the Gorgon. Then, they were gone, and only the draugr remained on their skeletal steeds.

Suddenly, the air around Elenia became leaden, as if they were wrapped with chains! She and the brass men could only stagger forward, slowed by the magic of the lich upon the wall!

Elenia knew fear when the draugr turned toward her. While she could withstand a hundred blows with the Gorgon’s secrets, the draugr wielded fear as a weapon unto itself! They couldn’t reach other infantry with the polearms, but they could reach her, and she stood in the path of their escape. She steeled herself, and turned to the lead brass man.

“Lead Unit 27! Hear and Obey! Destroy the draugr! Attack!”

The brass man turned slightly to her. Within the shadow of the helm only the two eyes, blazing orange hot, could be seen. Hints of a reptilian face were there, but the air shimmered and rippled with the heat their bodies gave off. Did it smile…? No, they are just automatons and have no feelings.

As one they formed up, and drew from their backs tulwars of bronze. Their weapons burst into flame as the brass men marched forward. They felt no fear of death or chill of the grave as they hewed dry bone and mummified flesh.

The right hand skirmish was going incredibly well for Team Phoenix. The draugr stood no chance between the 1st Galvanic and Thresher Boys with their polearms backed up with the Brass Men from the rear. And, since a major strength of Team Phoenix’s force was in one spot… Well… Fireball!

One inch short, everything important covered. FOOM! However, Elenia being a hero and the Brass Men being a special, I had to make checks to see if they were hurt by it. And, they weren’t. So, at the end of the round, Elenia and the Brass Men looked around, shrugged, and started marching to the castle.

However, the bravery and effectiveness of the Jaspian 1st Galvanic Foot, The Lightning Handed, will forever have a place in the hearts of the players.

The middle had a similar tale. A fireball or catapult round, maybe both, summarily erased the cavalry, the draugr, and most of the zombies there. The ornithopters wheeled around and sped for the lich. As they flew overhead they got some licks in, enough that the lich couldn’t cast a spell that round.

Asher. Hmm. He was within the blast of, I believe, FOUR artillery rounds or fireballs. He was struck by draugr several times, and teleporting all over the map. He survived with 1/4 hits remaining barely evading death five or six times during the game. It became a joke that he would phase out right before the blast hit, returning to be the only one standing in the smoking crater. Truly, he bears the blackblade Inexorable.

He didn’t really kill much, however.

With the ghoul / Hashlemac skirmish out of the way (FOOM!), the Team Phoenix strike force moved forward along the map edge. At the end of Round 8, they were within a move and a half of the Wall of Green Fire and outside the lich’s Detection range. The end of Round 9 had them easily within a move of the wall. And, although I measured the distance and gave them a Sauron-ish “I SEE YOU!”, they met the primary victory conditions. The Ivory King had no real warning of the strike teams approach or capabilities.

END FORCES

TEAM PHOENIX
Cogwheel Archers
Ornithopters
Brass Men
Elenia
Asher

IVORY KING
Flesh Golem
Lich
Maybe a zombie straggler

Primary Victory for Team Phoenix!

Finally, analysis!

PART-4 ANALYSIS

First of all, everyone had a lot of fun with it. Most mentioned some variation of “when do we do this again?” and “next time will go better!” One player had some experience with Warhammer. I have played proper wargames (as opposed to RPGs, &c.) I think twice. So, for most of us this was a new experience.

Morale- Didn’t really use it. Only three units on the Ivory King side had enough sapience or free will to consider it. Most of the time Team Phoenix units were delivering the hurt, not getting hurt, or getting paralyzed so it didn’t come into play. There was functionally no cavalry on the Ivory King side, and the Team Phoenix cavalry plowed into skeletons and zombies.

I can see, however, from this inverse example, if you will, how there would be a lot more movement of forces when morale comes into play. I think the Cogwheel Archers did perform a single 3” fall back maneuver when firing at the ghouls. It was mentioned that the maneuver “felt right, what archers would do.”

Also, the post melee morale rules seem untenable. I can imagine I could do that in my head, eventually, but it would definitely be beyond a couple of my players. I adapted the rules for a different morale situation later in the book (8+ on 2d6 for light foot, &c.). But, I think there was really only one roll during the game.

Fatigue- Barely used it. I ruled that using the charge move two rounds in a row incurred fatigue. It didn’t seem quite fair to implement those rules since none of my troops would be fatigued, ever. I certainly didn’t pay a troop cost surcharge for it. Something for next time.

Archers / Massed Troops- Team Phoenix is so lucky that I didn’t come up with an archer unit for the Ivory King. There was a little confusion over the rules; I ruled that Unarmored / Partial Armor / Fully Armored corresponded to Light / Heavy / Armored designations. This made intuitive sense as skeletons and ghouls were light units and zombies were heavy. While the zombies weren’t actually wearing armor, there was a lot of dead meat to cut through.

From the word go, I heard at least once every other round, “we needed archers”. A squad of six units of archers would mop up in this scenario, especially the Cogwheel Archers with their improved range.

From about Round 2-3, the lack of massed troops was keenly felt. If there were six units of Hashlemac, there would have been no stalemate with the ghouls. If there were 6 units of the Galvanic Foot, there would have been no zombie issues, and possibly no draugr issues. (The draugr could out-maneuver them, however. They were quite slow.) Having only one or two units per squad did allow them to cover more territory, but it also increased their losses overall.

An interesting loophole in the rules was that the Galvanic Foot always had at least 2 dice on the attack, due to polearms and magic weapons. Since there was only one unit, armored foot didn’t have the dice to attack the draugr (medium horse x2). They could still take the draugr out with the bonus dice, however. Also, the draugr couldn’t attack back due to the polearms, not having reach. Thus, the Galvanic Foot didn’t need paralyzation protection, at least from the front. This ended up fitting the feel of the setting, so that was great.

Heroes- Team Phoenix did not use their heroes effectively. This is really just an experience issue, however. They see that Asher should have been carving up skeletons and zombies, or paired with a heavy hitting squad as he gave +2 to the roll. Elenia was a good fit with the Brass Men. It made a certain sense to match Oglethorp with the Hashlemac, but his need to use Rally every turn to keep them mobile prevented him from throwing his hammer to cause a Shockwave. Team Phoenix could have lessened their losses using their own form of artillery. Getting lucky and taking out the lich would have been a coup.

General- These definitely feel like a set of first edition, 40 year old rules. There’s a distinct lack of polish, here. But, after reading them 3-4 times, they worked really well! When two units of heavy horse slammed into six of light foot, what occurred felt right. After understanding how archers worked, the lack was keenly felt. I may be so moved to write my own version so I understand them better, but I, and we, are really pleased with them overall.

I have to admit a certain pride when my son said the next day, “we matched Strong versus Strong, Weak versus Weak. That was a big mistake, and increased our losses.”

All in all, a great experience, and they’re already thinking about the next time. I guess I need to make another scenario!

Remove ads