• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenge Rating Question

GMSmith

First Post
I have a CR 1/3 creature and I'm adding a template that gives it a +1 CR. What would its new CR be? Thanks for any replies! :D

dcollins

Explorer
You probably need to look at the specific final creature and make a DM adjudication here as to how tough it is. It could be either 1/2 or 1 by different numerical methods.

Scharlata

First Post
GMSmith said:
I have a CR 1/3 creature and I'm adding a template that gives it a +1 CR. What would its new CR be? Thanks for any replies! :D

Hi!
Sometimes the Challenge Rating of a template gives you a hint about the minimum CR of a creature, or the template differentiates between Hit Dice (CR +1 for creatures ranging from 1 to 3 HD; +2 fpr creatures ranging from 4 to 6 HC, etc.). If no such hint is available in your case, I'd second the Jester's opinion.

Kind regards

dcollins

Explorer
Just so I'm clear, here's the other way of looking at it. 3 creatures of CR 1/3 come out to EL 1. So if individual CR goes up by +1, the group is now EL 2. Thus, individual CR is really 2/3, closest to 1/2.

Similarly, an adjustment of CR +1 is really saying one "bump" up the CR scale, and the one above CR 1/3 is CR 1/2.

Again, whenever I'm confronted by this issue I look at the final creature and make a specific adjudication on it. Feel free to post the actual templated creature. Could be 1 or 1/2.

DCollins's solution also sounds reasonable.

The only problem I could see is if the adjustment of the template makes a standard CR 1/3 creature much, much tougher than a standard CR 1/2 creature (and, looking at the list of CR 1/2 types, it doesn't seem too difficult to do).

I'll second his request for the actual template. :)

Targos

First Post
A creature such as goblin with NPC classes its stated in the monster manual to have a -2CR. Hence the 1st level goblin warrior CR of 1/3. Start at a base of 1 and subtract two.

1 - 1 = 1/2 - 1 = 1/3

There are plenty of creatures (animals/vermin) that have CRs below one that don't have class levels, but I figure the CR mechanic works the same. Adding 1 to a CR 1/3 would be just the opposite.

1/3 + 1 = 1/2

rrealm

First Post
The big question is what benefits the template gives the base creature. I doubt the benefits gained would be miniscule, otherwise why make a template in the first place. If they were however, I would bump it from 1/3 to 1/2.

99.99% of the time (IMO) the benefits gained would bump it to 1. However, there are encounters that are 1-1/3 in WoTC publications. It stands to reason that one could have a creature with a CR of 1-1/3, so if you really wanted to be accurate, I guess you could make it that but it seams like extra work to me.

I vote for 1.

Remove ads