• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenge: Where to place Castle Ravenloft in Eberron?

BOAZ

First Post
I guess this is a tough one, but this "little" module would fit *really* well into my new Eberron campaign. My first thought was to place Barovia within Karrnath, which would fit with the whole undead theme and such... Any thoughts?

shilsen

Adventurer
Karrnath is definitely the first place that comes to mind. If you want to emphasize the idea of a cursed land that the PCs cannot leave unless something occurs and/or the mists choose to leave them to, you can also put it in the Mournland.

Darth Shoju

First Post
shilsen said:
Karrnath is definitely the first place that comes to mind. If you want to emphasize the idea of a cursed land that the PCs cannot leave unless something occurs and/or the mists choose to leave them to, you can also put it in the Mournland.

I second both suggestions.

Remathilis

Legend
Karrnth is really the best place, probably near the mournland/cyre border. However, nothern Aundair (near Eldeen) might make an interesting alternative...

Klaus

First Post
Want something wicked?

Place Barovia in the mountains that separate the Eldeen Reaches from the Demon Wastes. And give all undead a fiendish look!

Or place it in the Mror Holds and make Strahd a dwarf.

Or place it in one of the Lhazzar Principalities, and change Strahd's title to Prince.

Or make the weather exceptionally cold and place Barovia in an island between Khorvaire and Frostfell.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
If you're using the actual 2e-style Demiplane of Dread, I'd tie it into the Mournlands and connect the Mournlands' existence to Ravenloft in some way. However, if it's anything like the original module, I doubt the PCs could survive with no access to magical healing, so that might be a bad idea. :p

Actually, I think it would work quite well following one of Klaus's suggestions: use the Lhazzar Principalities. I just can't see any of the leaders of the nations of Galifar putting up with someone as powerful as Strahd (and not taking him out during the Last War) if he's in their back yards.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I believe the idea is that Castle Ravenloft and the village of Barovia are extremely isolated, and Strahd does not allow people to leave the valley - so he doesn't really pose a threat to any of the rulers, does he?

BOAZ

First Post
Great Ideas Everyone!!! Thanks! :D I really like the idea of maybe tying the Mournland to the demiplane of dread, with the grey mist and all.... For something less dramatic I do think the border of Karrnath would be a great fit.

My first thought was Karrnath near the border of the Mror Holds. My second thought was in Cyre and the making of the Mournlands is what created Strahd and his home. I have considered an island within the Lhazzaar Prin. The princes would avoid him and with the open water he would stay there. My other thought was Eldeen Reaches near where Shadow Marches and Demon Wastes are on the shore.

So many thoughts.... I heard someone say they have suggestions for a location within the book however.

Remove ads