• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenges for a Druid Farmer

SnowleopardVK

First Post
For some reason the first thing I thought of was a giant beanstalk growing overnight and being climbed to the sky.

Jack and the Beanstalk perhaps?

Noumenon

First Post
For some reason the first thing I thought of was a giant beanstalk growing overnight and being climbed to the sky.

That's the best idea I've heard to go with what Ahnehnois said -- it's not a misfortune happening to his farm, it's an opportunity that happens because he has the farm (and because he went on the quest to get the beans, and because he recruited the druid circle to help him grow the beanstalk).

Dioltach

Legend

I was about to suggest the same thing. But then instead of the druid climbing up, an ogre (or whatever) comes climbing down ... Essentially the beanstalk is a portal to a different plane. Or multiple planes, depending on how many branches grow out of it.

Or there's always a James and the Giant Peach scenario.

BriarMonkey

First Post
With an estate of that size, may haps his lands actually cross a boundary and straddle two, or more, differing kingdoms. Any differences in taxes, land rights, etc., would then come into play.

Ravilah

Explorer
Ooh! Ooh! He could perform a series of tasks in order to earn ribbons, which he can trade for coins that allow him to buy more trees and seeds and decorations for his barn. And then a sad cow wanders onto his property and he has to find someone to adopt it. And he can try to get people from other farms to be his neighbors, and he could even try to get his friends who aren't farmers to start farming so THEY can be his neighbors too, and...and...

...nevermind. Who in their right mind would play a game revolving around that?

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

A Green Dragon could recognize him and his effords...

A military campaign of a nation nearby drives humanoids into his territory...

A new Leader of the forrest trolls emerges...

Kodam

Wycen

Explorer
Ooh! Ooh! He could perform a series of tasks in order to earn ribbons, which he can trade for coins that allow him to buy more trees and seeds and decorations for his barn. And then a sad cow wanders onto his property and he has to find someone to adopt it. And he can try to get people from other farms to be his neighbors, and he could even try to get his friends who aren't farmers to start farming so THEY can be his neighbors too, and...and...

...nevermind. Who in their right mind would play a game revolving around that?

LOL!

I can't believe nobody mentioned crop circles yet!

Magical mystery crop circles. CSI: Druid :D

MarkB

Legend
You might find the What Happens to Crops That Aren't Harvested? thread to be of interest.

Take a look at post #13 in that thread and you'll find my stats for Carnivorous Corn - a pernicious crop / plant-creature created by a dark druid sect who believe that domesticated crops are a blight upon the natural wilderness. Carnivorous Corn is designed to infiltrate crop fields and return them to a wilderness condition over the course of a crop season in extremely nasty fashion.

I also once wrote up stats on Dire Moles, though I seem to have mislaid them. I envisioned them as ambush predators, burrowing unseen into pastureland and digging out big pit traps without disturbing the ground above. When a large enough creature stands on the trap, it caves in and drops them into a ten-foot-deep pit, after which they're set upon by moles leaping out from the sides of the pit ("They're coming out of the walls, man!").

When a farmer starts seeing his cattle dropping out of sight, he knows he's got dire moles.

Remove ads