Challenging Challenge Ratings...again

Howdy! :)

Kerrick said:
It's +0.1 CR, not ECL - from what I'm gathering here, CR is more of an intermediate step to figuring out the creature's power level. I have to agree, though - the 28 Strength fighter will probably beat the tar out of the 18 Strength fighter, all things being equal, because he's dealing 5 more points of damage each hit, and they've only got 20+Con bonus hp each. A L1 with 208 Strength vs. a L20 with 18 Strength... tough call. The L1's got a +99 attack bonus (which pretty well guarantees he'll hit the other guy) and +99 damage (which means he'll drop the other guy's hit points by at least half with a hit), but he only gets one attack/round, whereas the other guy gets 4 - and he's pretty well guaranteed to hit with at least three of those four, which means he'll chop that puny L1 to kibble with a full attack action.

Just to clarify, a L1 with 208 strength. Thats really an issue for the Golden rule to look at, specifically the power boost is way beyond what something of that Hit Dice should have.

So while the L1 with Str 28 is theoretically equal to the L2 with Str 18, the L1 with 208 Strength is probably more like a good match for a Level 11 Fighter. However, I think whomever wins initiative here 'wins'.

Upper_Krust said:
So while the L1 with Str 28 is theoretically equal to the L2 with Str 18

How so? The L1's got an additional +5 bonus to attack and hit over the L2 (minus the latter's BAB), and assuming they both had 2nd-level PC equipment I'd think the L1 would pulverize the L2.

I've also got three more CR/ECL-related questions for you:

1.) What's the current formula for PC and NPC wealth? The formula for PC wealth in v5 was [ECL^3 * 100 gp], but I remember you saying that [ECL^2 * 10,000 gp] would be more appropriate, despite the fact that it gives sub-epic PCs much more wealth. Would this new figure be applicable to v5 as well? PC wealth was worth roughly 1/6 your ECL in v5, but now it's 1/3 your ECL in v6.

2.) Should we use the "compound golden rule" (www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3169740&postcount=3 ) under v5 to produce a more accurate ECL/CR result?

3.) Under v5, what would be the ECL increase for a monster immune to enchantment, illusion, and transmutation magic? And what would be the overall CR increase for a "+4 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance"? I'm asking because I'm trying to calculate a homebrew abomination's ECL/CR using v5.

4.) v5 states that the formula for the equivalent spell level of an epic spell is [Spellcraft DC / 10 + 7] rounded down. However, the Bestiary does not adhere to this (Brainstorm is DC 116 and an 18th-level spell, Summon Gloom is DC 90 and a 17th-level spell)? What was the formula used for these, and should we use it in place of the original formula given in v5?

Last edited:

Hello again! :)

Adslahnit said:
How so? The L1's got an additional +5 bonus to attack and hit over the L2 (minus the latter's BAB), and assuming they both had 2nd-level PC equipment I'd think the L1 would pulverize the L2.

Unless the L2 kills him with the first hit of course, which is far more likely than the L1 killing him with the first hit. :p

I've also got three more CR-related questions for you:

Fire away.

1.) What's the current formula for PC and NPC wealth? The formula for PC wealth in v5 was [ECL^3 * 100 gp], but I remember you saying that [ECL^2 * 10,000 gp] would be more appropriate, despite the fact that it gives sub-epic PCs much more wealth. Would this new figure be applicable to v5 as well? PC wealth was worth roughly 1/6 your ECL in v5, but now it's 1/3 your ECL in v6.

Its whatever the 4 artifact rule dictates it should be. I don't bother with actual wealth anymore - its pointless.

2.) Should we use the "compound golden rule" (www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3169740&postcount=3 ) under v5 to produce a more accurate ECL/CR result?

You shouldn't design such silly monsters in the first place - thats how you best get around it. :D

3.) Under v5, what would be the CR increase for a monster immune to enchantment, illusion, and transmutation magic?

ECL +3.

And what would be the overall CR increase for a "+4 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance"? I'm asking because I'm trying to calculate a homebrew abomination's CR using v5.

ECL +4.

4.) v5 states that the formula for the equivalent spell level of an epic spell is [Spellcraft DC / 10 + 7] rounded down. However, the Bestiary does not adhere to this (Brainstorm is DC 116 and an 18th-level spell, Summon Gloom is DC 90 and a 17th-level spell)? What was the formula used for these, and should we use it in place of the original formula given in v5?

Brainstorm is right. 11 + 7 = 18

Summon Gloom should be 9 + 7 = 16

Upper_Krust said:
You shouldn't design such silly monsters in the first place - thats how you best get around it. :D

Look who's talking. Leave the wacky stuff to the pros, then?

Upper_Krust said:

ECL +1 for each school of magic the creature is completely immune to? That would make immunity to all schools but Divination and Universal ECL +7. Immunity to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance is ECL +5, immunity to all magic and supernatural effects is ECL +10, and a 100-foot-radius antimagic field akin to a colossus is ECL +25. I guess it all fits together then.

Upper_Krust said:

ECL +1 for each point of "divine bonus to nearly everything" then? So a First One's +48 divine bonus is ECL +48, a Stage III Demiurge's +128 divine bonus is ECL +128, and a Time Lord's +192 divine bonus is ECL +192? Got it.

Upper_Krust said:
Brainstorm is right. 11 + 7 = 18

Summon Gloom should be 9 + 7 = 16

Understood. I'll update my PDF copy of the Bestiary then.

I'm working on a custom class that revolves around an "at will" breath weapon, roughly basing it off the Draconomicon's metabreath feats and using v5 of the Challenge Rating PDF as a balance guideline.

In v5, the calculations assume that breath weapons normally have a 1d4 round delay. Those that are usable at will have a x1.5 ECL multiplier. What would be the multiplier for the following breath weapon types: (A) usable only as a full-round action with a 1d4 round delay, (B) usable only as a full-round action at will, (C) usable as a free action once per round with a 1d4 round delay, (D) usable as a free action once per round at will?

Also, should the "maximum breath weapon dice" parameter always be followed? I wanted the class's breath weapon to be roughly worth an integrated level of sorcerer/wizard spells (+0.44 ECL per level), which would have damage dice equal to the class level. However, a 1d4 force damage at will breath weapon is only worth +0.15 ECL per level. A 1d12 force damage at will breath weapon is worth +0.39 ECL per level. Wouldn't that mean that a 20d12 force damage at will breath weapon (+7.8 ECL) would be theoretically inferior to 20 levels of sorcerer/wizard spells (+8.8 ECL)? I'd think that someone with the breath weapon could outdamage the sorcerer/wizard in every situation, plus he could use it as many times as he wants per day.

WarDragon

First Post
Wizards of the Coast beat you to it. Twice. Dragon Shaman in Player's Handbook II, and the Dragonfire Adept in Dragon Magic both feature a breath weapon prominently, the latter being almost completely dependent on it. It's basically a variant warlock.

WarDragon said:
Wizards of the Coast beat you to it. Twice. Dragon Shaman in Player's Handbook II, and the Dragonfire Adept in Dragon Magic both feature a breath weapon prominently, the latter being almost completely dependent on it. It's basically a variant warlock.

I was well aware of the Dragon Shaman class, but there are several things about it that don't suit what I'm looking for. It has d10 HD, 3/4 BAB, 2 good saves, 2 + Int skill points, a 1d4 round delay breath weapon, and a bunch of non-breath-related abilities. Same goes for the Dragonfire Adept. It has d8 HD, 1/2 BAB, 2 good saves, 4 + Int skill points, a breath weapon usable at will, and several non-breath-related abilities.

I was trying to come up with a class with d4 HD, 1/2 BAB, 1 good save, 2 + Int skill points, and focus on JUST the breath weapon (one usable with no delay at that). It's mainly just for a project of mine involving the type of characters seen in a particular curtain fire shooting game. The class's "breath weapon" wasn't actually meant to involve breath at all (far from it in fact), it's just supposed to use the mechanics of breath weapons.

JuzamDjinn

First Post
Regarding UK’s “glaring error in my Encounter Level Breakdowns” (UK’s words for it). I did not like Cheiromancer’s insulting attitude toward UK. But I understood why he was upset, and I was similarly upset until I understood the solution to the problem. The reason he was upset is that UK’s new method seemed to preclude using the Grim Tales “Chi/Rho” method to determine XP.

Basically, the way the Chi/Rho method works is, that you can find the power of each opponent by squaring its power. So, for a (single) monster, power equal CR squared. The power of all opponents faced in a particular encounter, is Chi. You calculate Chi by simply adding the power of all opponents together (ignore the power of any creature with a CR than is less than the highest CR creature by 18 or more—for example, if the highest CR is 30, ignore any creature with a CR of 12 or less for purposes of calculating power).

Similarly, to figure out the power of a party member, you either square the CR or the ECL of the party member (ignore any party member whose CR is less than the highest CR party member by 18 or more). (Here it gets tricky with UK’s method, because I would say that the best approach would be the square the ECL of the party member, rather than the CR. In fact, Grim Axe also uses this. However, UK uses ECL differently than how WOTC or Grim Tales uses ECL, so if you use “ECL” the way UK uses it, then you should CR squared for power of a party member; otherwise, use ECL squared.) The total power of the party, Rho, is equal to the sum of the power of each party member.

The experience reward for each PC is: 300 * (Chi/Rho) * level. For level, you can either use the average party level, or the level the particular PC receiving the award. I would recommend using average party level, except for those party members who are simply too low level to contribute fully, in which case you should use that party member’s actual level—this prevents the anomaly of, say, a level 5 character in a level 15 party gaining massive XP against a group of CR 15 opponents where the level 5 character contributed very little to the encounter. But normally I just use average party level, so, each party member receives 300* (Chi/Rho) * (averagePartyLevel). Total XP earned by the entire party is 300 * (Chi/Rho) * sumOfAllPartyLevels, so you can actually divide that total however you want if you want to divvy it up based on how much each party member contributed.

You can also calculate EL with the Chi/Rho method, although you don’t have to calculate the ECL to calculate XP in the Chi/Rho method. To find the EL, use EL = 1 + (2 * log2 (Chi)). You can figure out party EL by replacing Chi with Rho. For my calculator, it’s simpler to use the equivalent expression EL = 1 + (2* ln(Chi)/ln(2)). If you want to map CR to EL, for a single creature, that would be EL = 1 + (2*ln(CR^2)/ln(2)). (In v5, UK has a chart mapping CR to ECL, which gives the same result as the equation I just gave).

UK has a system in v5 that doesn’t require the use of the calculator, and basically comes up with the same result as the Chi/Rho system. However, UK’s system gives you less accurate results than Chi/Rho when you use mixed CRs—and the more mixed they are, the worse result you get. In fact, with the v5 system, adding creature with a CR lower than the average CR to an encounter can in some cases actually decrease the XP award that you would get if that creature wasn’t present, which obviously isn’t right. The v5 system works pretty well when the CRs are pretty close. It doesn’t matter of the party’s CRs are close to the monster’s CRs—rather, each party member should have a CR close to the CR of each other party member, and each monster should have a monster close to the CR of each other monster—in this case, you can use the v5 system to good results. But I often use mixed CR encounters, sometimes very mixed, and I don’t mind using a calculator, so I use the Chi/Rho method, which is a system that is also “very elegant”, as Cheiromancer had stated.

OK, this has all been pre “glaring error”. Post “glaring error”, I could see that it didn’t work. Unfortunately, I used to be a math whiz, but I’m anywhere near as sharp at math as I used to be, so as far as I could tell there was no way for the Chi/Rho method to work anymore. I tried changing EL expression so that instead of log base 2 you used log base 3 or log base 3.2, but that didn’t make any difference. This is what Cheiromancer was so upset about—the seeming inability to use the Chi/Rho system any more.

I would also note that of course you can’t really use v5 either with the method, at least not as is, the tables would have to be adjusted to reflect the change, etc. But it seemed that UK’s method in v5 could simply be changed by updating the tables and such, where the Chi/Rho method appeared to be gone forever.

However, after working with the numbers a little bit, I discovered a solution. The previous method made the assumption that two (N) characters of equal level L are an equal challenge to one character of level 1.5*L (and that N^2=4 character of equal level L are an equal challenge to one character of level 2*L). Now, UK instead assumes that N=3.1623 (square root of ten) characters of equal L are an equal challenge of one character of level 1.5*L (and that N^2=10 characters of equal level L are an equal challenge to one character of level 2*L).
The solution is—instead of squaring CR to calculate power, or power=CR^2, you use CR^N, where N is the number of character of equal level L that are an equal challenge of one character of level 1.5*L. Previously, UK assumed that N=2, so we had power=CR^N=CR^2. Now, UK assumes that N=the square root of 10, so you can just use that number for N to calculate power. The Chi/Rho method still works.

Where all of this comes from, for those who don’t entirely understand UK’s system—which is most of us, including perhaps UK himself :) . UK came up with his new system by challenging three assumptions that he believes are inaccurate, and fixing those problems. I agree with him on two of the points.

If I may quote from http://www.immortalshandbook.com/sermon3.htm:
• Firstly, that Challenge Rating parallels Effective Class Level on a 1:1 basis - which simply isn't the case.
• Secondly, that Encounter Levels parallel Challenge Rating on a 1:1 basis - again, this isn't the case.
• Thirdly, that the discrepancy between PC and NPC wealth is too often ignored.

The first point is the one that I disagree with. The Grim Tales document seems to understand what WOTC means by Effective Class Level (ECL) and how WOTC uses it, but UK does not appear to. UK seems to mean something else by ECL that is not what WOTC or Grim Tales mean when they talk about it. Also, WOTC most certainly does not assume that Challenge Rating necessarily parallels Effective Class Level on a 1:1 basis.

Also, UK’s approach of “Challenge Rating 2/3rds Effective Class Level” is really bizarre, but again the problem is that it’s based on some false assumptions.

The second point is an excellent one. Well, there’s actually two points to parse out here. First of all, WOTC uses Encounter Level to basically be the combined total CR of an encounter. For example, if you have 4 CR 3 monsters, that’s equivalent to a single monster having what CR? Whatever that CR is, that’s the EL (Encounter Level). But WOTC also makes the assumption that CR (and, by logical extension, EL), have the following relationship—two monsters of CR=M is an equivalent challenge to a single monster of CR=M+2. I think this actually works very well at low and mid levels. In fact, for monsters of CR 17 or less, I use that assumption. But for CR 18 or greater, I think UK’s system is far more accurate. I mean, it’s just common sense really—it’s abundantly clear that two level 33 fighters are not an equal challenge to one level 35 fighter, nor are two level 33 wizards an equal challenge to one level 35 wizard. The two level 33s are clearly far more challenging than the single level 35.

Really, noticing this discrepancy, there are two ways that we could define EL. One would be to say, EL is simply something that represents, the combined encounter is equivalent to a single monster of what CR, and that is EL. The other would be to say—WOTC assumes that EL, like CR, is defined by, adding two to it doubles the challenge. But let’s de-couple CR from EL. We’ll keep CR to be the same thing it’s always meant. But let’s define EL as a number for the encounter which, when you add two to it, represents an encounter that is twice is challenging. And let’s realize that CR doesn’t necessarily have the same property, especially as the CR gets higher. An EL 42 encounter is, by definition, twice as tough as an EL 40 encounter. But a CR 42 is not twice as tough as a CR 40. The WOTC method is even worse as you expand the numbers—according to the WOTC CR*2=EL*2, you have 1 CR 42=2 CR 40s=4 CR 38s=8 CR 36s. I think it’s easy to see that a single level 42 PC is nowhere near as powerful as 8 level 36 PCs.

Of course, this begs the question, if a CR 42 is not twice as tough as a CR 40, how much tougher than a CR 40 is it? How do we calculate XP to reflect this CR/EL difference? Well, this was discussed above. You can use and Chi/Rho method, or an equivalent method which doesn’t require a calculator. But that still leaves the question what the proper value of N should be. The question is, for example, N level 30 characters is an equivalent challenge to a single level 45 character? (Or, more generally, N level L characters is an equivalent challenge to a single level 1.5*L characters). WOTC makes the assumption that CR*2=EL*2. UK originally went with the assumption that, instead of CR*2=EL*2, CR*2=EL+4, but now uses CR*2=EL+6 (actually, he uses CR*2=EL+2*10^.5). Using my N above, with the Chi/Rho method, we’re talking about CR*2=EL+2*N.

Personally, I simply use the WOTC assumption that CR*2=EL*2, so that a CR 7 is an equivalent challenge to two CR 5 monsters, or four CR 3 monsters, but only for CRs of 17 or less. For CR 18 or more, I use CR*2=EL+10. This is based on the assumption that, for example 5 level 30 characters is an equivalent challenge to a single level 45 character. This is simply my best estimate. I think that the UK’s current value of N=square root of ten is low, and 5 is my best estimate. Ideally, the determination of N should be playtested thoroughly. But it should be playtested at higher levels (level 21 and higher)—I know that N=5 with the Chi/Rho method would not be accurate for low and mid levels, but I personally feel that the geometric scale is more accurate than Chi/Rho at low and mid levels anyway (that is, I believe that at low and mid levels, the equation should be of the form CR*2=EL*X rather than CR*2=EL+X, where I believe that an equation of the form CR*2=EL+X is more accurate at a certain CR and above).

The third point is another excellent one. The official rules assume that a level 20 PC with PC wealth is equivalent to a level 20 NPC with NPC wealth. That clearly is an inaccuracy. I think that UK’s v5 rules address this discrepancy pretty well. The way it works is, each character level, ignoring wealth, is .8 CR. Each level of PC wealth counts as .2 CR. Each level of NPC wealth counts are .125 CR. So a level 20 PC is CR 20, and a level 20 NPC is 20*.8+20+.125=18.25, which rounds down to CR 18.

Or, for a less accurate but simpler method, UK has also recommended simply using, for an NPC with NPC wealth, using 5/6 the CR than if it were a PC, to account for the lesser wealth (or is this actually a more accurate method based on findings since v5?)

UK also has come up with, in v5, an outstanding version of calculating CR, and I expect it to be even further improved in v6. For example, you can look at a monster’s various abilities, and use that to determine its CR in v5. However, I believe that every CR needs to be individually playtested. I think that UK’s system is an outstanding tool, and one that could massively save playtesting time when determining accurate CRs of creatures. Basically, you would use UK’s system to assign a tentative CR, playtest that CR, and work from there to determine actual CR. UK’s system gives you an excellent starting point for estimating about where it’s CR should be, and would save you a lot of time versus just taking a look at the monster and making your best guess as the initial estimate to being playtesting, or trying to use some other CR estimation that is less accurate that UK’s system. But I don’t think you can simply take for granted that the CR of any given monster is exactly that using UK’s system. It only gives you a very accurately starting point, which will definitely save playtesting time, but which will not eliminate the need for playtesting entirely.

I would take the Balor as one example. It’s a CR 33 (using v5, silver rule). Now, the official CR of the Balor is 20, which I believe is a little bit low. I said a little bit low. CR 20 is way, way, closer than 33, which unfortunately, is nowhere close to being accurate. Also, a white dragon great wyrm in UK’s system comes out to a whopping CR 52—now they’re tough, don’t get me wrong, and the official CR is definitely too low, but it’s no CR 52! I’m not even faulting UK’s system here; I’m saying that a system that can completely accurately determine CR without individual playtesting is impossible. UK’s system is outstanding, but it simply cannot be used as a complete substitute for playtesting CRs.

JuzamDjinn said:
I would take the Balor as one example. It’s a CR 33 (using v5, silver rule). Now, the official CR of the Balor is 20, which I believe is a little bit low. I said a little bit low. CR 20 is way, way, closer than 33, which unfortunately, is nowhere close to being accurate. Also, a white dragon great wyrm in UK’s system comes out to a whopping CR 52—now they’re tough, don’t get me wrong, and the official CR is definitely too low, but it’s no CR 52! I’m not even faulting UK’s system here; I’m saying that a system that can completely accurately determine CR without individual playtesting is impossible. UK’s system is outstanding, but it simply cannot be used as a complete substitute for playtesting CRs.

You're doing it wrong, since 33 and 52 are simply the ECLs. To find the CR, you take 2/3rds of the ECL, so a Balor would be CR 22 and a Great Wyrm White Dragon would be CR 34.66 (CR 34 or 35 depending on how you round it).

Keep in mind that in v6, the Silver Rule takes a flat 5/6ths of the monster's Golden Rule ECL, regardless of how high said ECL is. So you would take the Base ECL Factor => Golden Rule => 5/6ths => 2/3rds. As such, a Balor and a Great Wyrm White Dragon would have the following CRs:

Balor: ECL 44.421 => ECL 36.2105 => ECL 30.175 => CR 20.117 (CR 20)
Great Wyrm White Dragon: ECL 57.132 => ECL 55.566 => ECL 46.305 => CR 30.87 (CR 30/31)

You then plug those values in with the EL system found here:
www.immortalshandbook.com/sermon3.htm
www.immortalshandbook.com/freestuff18.htm

Last edited:

JuzamDjinn

First Post
HI U_K,

I'm trying to figure out your "Make Challenge Rating 2/3rds Effective Class Level" solution, but it's not making a lot of sense to me. First, I do think it's based on some false assumptions. I don't think that WOTC makes the assumption that "Challenge Rating parallels Effective Class Level on a 1:1 basis " For example, a level 5 human fighter is ECL 5 and CR 5. But a level 5 drow fighter is ECL 7 but CR 6, because drow is +1 CR and +2 ECL (because it's LA 2), so we can see in this case that CR and ECL are are not 1:1 by the official rules.

But even igoring that, I'm trying to following some of your examples. You have "Firstly, that Challenge Rating parallels Effective Class Level on a 1:1 basis - which simply isn't the case. This discrepancy is easily illustrated when you contrast a 20th-level PC with a CR 20 monster like a Balor. The Balor is much tougher."

I would say, that if a CR 20 Balor is a tougher challenge to a balanced party than a level 20 PC with PC wealth, it means that the CR of the Balor is wrong. In fact, I would probably put the Balor CR at about 22 rather than 20, making a Balor equal in challenge to a 22nd level PC with PC wealth.

But what you've done is, you've changed the definition of CR. Which is not necessarily a bad thing--you've given a definition of EL which might not quite correspond to the WOTC definintion, but which creates a useful distinction. But I'm not sure how you changing how CR is defined is helpful--it only further muddles what is already an overcomplicated issue.

You've basically adjusted the meaning of CR with the following formula you've used elsewhere:

"
• Challenge Rating is 1/2 Average Party Level = Encounter Level -3 = Easy
• Challenge Rating is 2/3 Average Party Level = Encounter Level +/-0 = Moderate
• Challenge Rating is x1 Average Party Level = Encounter Level +3 = Tough
• Challenge Rating is x1.5 Average Party Level = Encounter Level +6 = Very Tough
• Challenge Rating is x2 Average Party Level = Encounter Level +9 = Impossible

e.g. Challenge Rating 20 (Balor) is 2/3 Average Party Level for a party of four ECL 30 PCs. Therefore the Balor will be EL -3 (or in this case EL 27).

...Now, another minor complication is that, the official rules state that a CR 20 monster is EL 20 AND a 20th-level NPC is also EL 20. With this new system (and assuming a 20th-level PC party) the 20th-level NPC would only be EL 18 (two less because of the conversion between ECL and CR). This means four such 20th-level PCs would only EL 22. Therefore EL 22 (in this case) must be EL +4 above the party average. Which means that a single monster of a CR equal to the party average will represent a tough encounter rather than simply a moderate one."

But, the definition of CR, and all of the CRs assigned by WOTC, are built under the assumption that, CR X means that 4 level X PCs against a monster of CR X will be having a moderate encounter (or "easy", if you want to call it that). They assume that if you are EL+2 above that (EL 2 above CR X), then it is a tough encounter. But you instead use the definition that CR X means that 4 level X PCs against a monster of CR X will be having a tough encounter, and that CR X*(2/3) will be a moderate encounter.

So it seems like what you're doing is defining ECL as what WOTC would mean by CR, and then defining for yourself a new CR which is defined by an adjustment you've created, so that now CR X is a tough encounter for 4 level X PCs, and CR X*(2/3) is the moderate encounter.

I would suggest simply sticking to the definition of CR X means that 4 level X PCs (assuming the PCs have no LA) will be having a moderate (easy) encounter, and that a CR X creature is an equal challenge to a level X PC (with no LA) with PC wealth, and correct the CR of any creature accordingly to meet that definition. Because it's easier to just say that a level 30 character (with no LA) with level 30 PC wealth is a CR 30 opponent. It's much more intuitive.

It also makes things easier in that, your CR will mean the same thing as WOTC's CR if you don't change the definition the way you have. If you want to create a new quantity that is similar to CR but that meets the definition you have proposed, I would suggest creating a new term for it.

Remove ads