• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chameleon Or Factotum - Which Is More Effective/Versatile?

victorysaber

First Post
I was just musing.

Would a Factotum 5/Chameleon 10 be more effective and/or versatile, or would a straight Factotum 15 be more effective/versatile?

Factotum from Dungeonscape, and Chameleon from Races of Destiny.

FullTinCan

First Post
victorysaber said:
I was just musing.

Would a Factotum 5/Chameleon 10 be more effective and/or versatile, or would a straight Factotum 15 be more effective/versatile?

Factotum from Dungeonscape, and Chameleon from Races of Destiny.

I believe the Chameleon is more effective if you know what you are facing. The Factotum is more versatile and less contingent on what you are facing. Whereas the Chameleon must decide on spells, class abilties, etc, the Factotum need only decide on their handful of spell like abilities.

Dark Psion

First Post
Go Chameleon!

Access to both Divine or Arcane magic and after you hit 5th level, you can refocus to Combat, Stealth or Wild focus when your spells run out.

But don't overlook the Chameleon's best feature, the Bonus Feat at 2nd level.

This is an "Open Feat", you choose it new everday, and there what, 2000 or so feats to choose from?

victorysaber

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Probably best off as both. Chameleon is a PrC, while Factotum is a base class.

I know.

What I'm asking is, should I go straight Factotum, or multiclass into Chameleon (needs 5 levels of Factotum)?

The thing I'm looking at are the spells. Although multiclassing into Chameleon means I can get 5th & 6th-level spells 1 level earlier (see below), I ultimately top off at 6th level spells, versus the straight Factotum's 7th level spells.

Factotum
3rd-level spells at 8th level.
4th-level spells at 10th level.
5th-level spells at 13th level.
6th-level spells at 15th level.
7th-level spells at 18th level.

Chameleon (with minimum 5 levels of Factotum)
3rd-level spells at 8th level.
4th-level spells at 10th level.
5th-level spells at 12th level.
6th-level spells at 14th level.

Particle_Man

Explorer
victorysaber said:
The thing I'm looking at are the spells. Although multiclassing into Chameleon means I can get 5th & 6th-level spells 1 level earlier (see below), I ultimately top off at 6th level spells, versus the straight Factotum's 7th level spells.

7th level spell, singular, and this is not affected by Int score for # of spells per day either. I think for sheer power Chameleon has the edge. Though I personally like the Factotum, I don't think I can defend it as any kind of power-house.

Remove ads