• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Champion Improved Critical - Autohit on 19/18 or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmaOne

First Post
Hi All,

For the Champion Fighter, the Improved Critical feature at level 3 reads "... your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 o 20" and similarly at level 15.

It says if you roll a 19, you score a critical hit, and a critical hit is a hit. I read this as very clearly overriding the general rules for automatic hits to extend automatic hit from "only a 20" to 19 or 20. Thus if you roll a 19, you don't have to beat your target's AC. This seems like a clear-cut case of "Specific Beats General".

Other people are reading it differently. Because it does not explicitly say it is an automatic hit (which happens to be a critical hit) they believe you have to beat the target's AC on 19 (and later 18) in order to hit. Then if it is a hit, it is a critical.

I'm seeking your opinions on this.

keterys

First Post
It should probably work.

Entirely separate from whether the Champion should turn it into an autohit, an 18 or 19 on the die should pretty much always hit*, especially at that level :)

* If your first level characters want to smack Moradin, maybe not, but in encounters that would actually happen.

SigmaOne

First Post
If you haven't seen it already, there's a fair amount of discussion here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ence-between-critical-hits-and-automatic-hits

Reading that thread, the verdict is an unambiguous... maybe :confused:

Although it'd be interesting to see this as a poll question.

Oh wow; that thread isn't even old! I tried a search but ENWorld responded that I could only do one search every 30 seconds... but that was the first search I tried! I guess I should have just manually looked back a bit. Thanks for the link!

Stalker0

Legend
Since the OP found a link to the full conversation around his question, I am closing this thread.

--Stalker0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads