• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Champions: Superpowered Roleplaying

Sketchpad

Explorer
First off … this isn’t a d20 product. Okay, now that I have that out of the way, I strongly suggest that anyone running a superhero game use this book. Not only is it written and indexed well, but it has a slew of useful info in it.

The first in Hero System’s genre books, Champions: Superpowered Roleplaying is a book noteworthy to anyone running a superhero game. At first glance, the book seems nothing like its predecessors that have used the same name. There are no rules beyond the various examples, or a lot of setting information. This is a detailed look at the superhero genre and the conventions that are common within it as told by a master of superhero gaming, Aaron Allston.

The first chapter deals with the background of superheroics and how to use the ideas in your campaign. Within it, the author delivers varied information on superhero genres, detailing each with sample powers and some of the stereotypes within them. Would you like to run a game during WWII? There are rules within that allow it. How about a dark and gritty Iron Age campaign? Yup … there’s that info as well. There are even ideas for galactic campaigns as well as using a combination of the ideas explored within the various periods. The next two sections talk about the timeline involved with creating a world and setting a particular mood for it. It’s here that we get to some of the familiar meta-concepts that the Hero System is known for. Within these two chapters, Mr. Allston explores the ideas of using meta-genres such as horror or comedy in a campaign, as well as some brief looks into the concepts of laws and historical events. The last two segments discuss power sources and genre elements in the form of quick introductions to the following chapters.

The second chapter is all about the characters and suggestions on how to create them in Hero terms. Now wait … before you say “Oh … this is where I close the book”, remember that any good GM or player can use this information. In fact, I would boast that this is the most important chapter of the book! First off, Mr. Allston immediately jumps into the fray with information on superhero origins and some general suggestions on character creation. This includes typical comic book origins like being a mutant or strange visitor from another planet, as well as recommendations on hindrances and how to apply them. Next, with the help of esteemed artist Albert Deschesne, the author details out the various archetypes for superheroes, commenting on how they could be built and specific power and disadvantage builds. Lastly, after a brief random character generator, he takes on the ideas of superhero teams and the conventions behind them.

If it’s superhero technology that you want, then Chapter Three is your bag. Within this chapter are builds for various bases, gizmos, vehicles and other equipment superheroes and supervillains may find useful. That’s right … I said supervillains. While there are a lot of Hero builds in this chapter, Mr. Allston also discusses the purpose behind some of the builds, particularly the location, size and features that could be idea with such a building.

Chapter Four is all about GMing the genre but there’s some good info for players in there too. Second to Chapter Two for usefulness, this chapter discusses the intricacies of running a game in a superheroic campaign, as well how to play villains and some tips on adventure creation. There are even some ideas for using things like a “Fastball Special” and the environment as launching posts. For Hero GMs, this chapter also offers advice for point total management and various disadvantages (including a really cool vulnerability chart). Finally, the chapter closes with some NPC advice and typical citizen builds that could help any GM in a bind.

Finally, in Chapter Five, the author gives us a peek into the Champions’ Universe with stats for about a dozen NPCs that could be used in a quick campaign or easily become major players within it. While we see some familiar faces such as Defender, Mechanon and Pulsar, we also see some new faces such as Nighthawk and Tachyon, the former of which belongs to the premiere superteam appropriately named The Champions.

Wrap this info into a stunning cover by fan-favorite artist Storn Cook and you have a solid piece of superhero success. I know that Hero intimidates some people, but honestly, if you’re not looking at this book and a superhero gamer (Hero/Champions or otherwise), then you’re missing some vital information that could be very useful. In fact, my only gripe with this book is minor layout quibbles like some of the art and some design issues … but, like I said, it’s so minor that the content easily overshadows it. Pick it up, read it … you won’t regret it. I know I didn’t.

ANY SUPERHERO... ANY POWER... ANY ADVENTURE!

Champions is back! This latest edition explores the superhero genre more thoroughly than ever before, delving into all the subjects you need to know about to create incredible characters and campaigns.

Like all other HERO System genre books, Champions is a toolkit, presenting you with the information, options, and ideas you need tto create your own characters and campaigns just the way you want them, Whatever type of superhero game you like to play, and however you like to play it, Champions helps you make it even better!

Like all other HERO System genre books, Champions is a toolkit, presenting you with the information, options, and ideas you need tto create your own characters and campaigns just the way you want them, Whatever type of superhero game you like to play, and however you like to play it, Champions helps you make it even better!

Champions is usable as a stand-alone product, but does not include the HERO System rules, only discussions of how to apply those rules. For the rules themselves, you'll need the HERO System 5th Edition core rulebook.

Remove ads