• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Change in rules on d20 Modern Guns available

Old Drew Id

First Post
I heard on NPR this morning that on Sept 13th, the 10-year federal ban on assault weapons will expire and will not be renewed. They went on about the political effects of this, and the effects on crime, etc. and all I could think was "a whole bunch of prohibited guns listed as Mil (+3) just got downgraded to Restricted (+2) or even Licensed (+1), and I wonder what my PC can carry now?"

:)

Here is a (very politically slanted) page describing what kinds of guns are effected:
http://www.awbansunset.com/whatis.html

There are probably better pages available, but I figured I would just ask the resident gun nuts here: what guns are now available to us in-game at lower license ratings that were not previously available?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
None.

The law basically did two things - banned guns based on cosmetic features and banned clips of more than 10 rounds.

The appearance thing consisted of several different brands, plus any that has 2 or more of certain features, like a pistol grip, folding stock or a bayonet lug.

And by banned, it didn't ban existing ones, it's just that new ones couldn't be made/imported.

So really, no effects other than reducing prices of certain models of guns. Since older guns were still legal, they could be had, just more expensive.

in D20 modern terms, all the guns that are Res+2 are automatic weapons, which are still illegal (banned back in the 30s, IIRC), and all the Mil+3 stuff aren't really even guns, but things like grenades and rocket launchers.

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
The appearance thing consisted of several different brands, plus any that has 2 or more of certain features, like a pistol grip, folding stock or a bayonet lug.

Wow. When was the last time anyone inside the US was bayonetted? Why ban bayonet lugs? A golf club would be a better weapon. Any law that bothers to even talk about bayonet lugs is motivated by politics, not reason.

Aaron

Remove ads