D&D (2024) Change multiclassing prerequisites?

What should the multiclass prerequisite be?

• Higher than 13.

Votes: 9 15.8%

Votes: 19 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• None

Votes: 29 50.9%

mellored

Legend
I always found it odd that you could make a 16Str, 8 Dex rogue. But then can't multiclass fighter.

And if you want to be a ranger/ paladin, you're really sunk with requiring 13 in 4 different state.

Are we really worried about a 8 Int fighter taking a few levels of wizard?

It just seems unnecessary restrictions to me. So shall we change the multi requirements?

Last edited:

Ferrousbones

Artificer
I can't speak for everybody here, but I don't work for WOTC, so there isn't much I can do.

Besides, if I did work for WOTC, I would push for them to eliminate multiclassing altogether. And that would make me a very unpopular person.
Personally, I think I would still allow for multiclassing, but make it feat-locked with a minimum level. After all, it is a case of putting effort into learning a (sometimes radically) different discipline.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
As to the poll prerequisite: If those scores aren't needed to have a given class in the first place, it doesn't make sense to require them for multiclassing, especially to require them going both ways as is current.

Yaarel

He Mage
I feel multiclassing would work better if there is a "level 0".

Players start at level 1 in a particular class, but it implies having already gone thru "high school training" sotospeak to cover the basics.

But when starting a second class later in the career, one needs to go thru the basic level zero for it.

The level 1 of every 5e class is front loaded. Level 1 is worth several feats of design space unlike later levels which are worth about a feat each. It is easy to split up the level 1 of every class into a level 0 and a level 1.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'm a big proponent of the concept of multiclassing, but I think the pick-a-class method in 3e and 5e is-- speaking admittedly from hindsight-- fatally flawed and unsalvageable.

We're not going to come up with a more functional method as long as we keep holding on to the things that make it less functional.

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm a big proponent of the concept of multiclassing, but I think the pick-a-class method in 3e and 5e is-- speaking admittedly from hindsight-- fatally flawed and unsalvageable.

We're not going to come up with a more functional method as long as we keep holding on to the things that make it less functional.
Why exactly dont levels from different classes work, in your eyes?

aco175

Legend
I always thought multiclassing would work better if you kept your main class and picked up a subclass in another class. This way you could be a fighter/mage or a mage/fighter and still have totally different options and abilities. The 2nd class would be more of a half-class in terms of abilities since you are still advancing in your main class.

Remove ads