• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeling Arch-Nemesis

Tomn

First Post
Wow, that is a really good character option, but I'm sorry to say that I've already mentioned her familiar in the campaign and at this point I couldn't bear to give it up. Do you think that it would be too unbalanced if I had the spell-like ability replace scribe scroll instead? Oh, I should mention that in our rules, scribing scrolls doesn't take xp, instead it deals nonpermanent constitution damage (that can't be healed by magic).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Regardless of how many tricks you give your villain, keep in mind that she will still be limited to one action a round without extra help.

This means that your villain must:
a) have the requisite "big six" boosting items
b) have cast all of her buffing spells prior to their arrival
c) must have freedom of movement, both the spell and the ability to move about the battlefield
d) once in melee, she must be able to hit hard, or be really good at some form disarm/sunder/trip/grapple

This is about the only way that ONE character will be able to take on a party once they surround her.

I thought you might be able to use Enlarge Animal to mess up the PC's, but as per RAW, a familiar is considered a Magical Beast instead of an Animal.

Bottom line... you're the DM, and you can make up anything you want to challenge the PC's.

I would suggest Rogue 3/Monk2/Chameleon3.
* Max out Wis for the Monk's Stunning Fist; if the PC is stunned, the villain will get her Sneak Attack damage on every subsequent hit.
* Because Monk and Rogue get Evasion, the villain would get Improved Evasion for free.
* Monks are built to do special attacks; disarming PC's will drive them nuts, and tripping is just awful because being prone denies AC, which means more sneak attack damage.
* Monks can hold items in both hands and still fight at full capacity due to their fighting style. A couple of Wands would be handy, especially one of Dimension Door.

Optionally...

A Psychic Warrior2/Monk3/Chameleon3 would be interesting as well with the right psionic powers... expansion, inertial armor, and maybe burst, biofeedback, or metaphysical claw. Use the PW bonus feats to add powers if you want.

Ultimately...

She's a handful of hit points and a pile of treasure to the players, so don't get too attached. :)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I thought you might be able to use Enlarge Animal to mess up the PC's, but as per RAW, a familiar is considered a Magical Beast instead of an Animal.

"Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast)."

Just use Enlarge Person. :)

* Because Monk and Rogue get Evasion, the villain would get Improved Evasion for free.

Sadly not true. Unless the Evasion entry specifically says it gives Imp Evasion if you already have Evasion, this is not the case. It sucks, and I don't think it should be like that (since some DO bother to say so, it seems silly other sources don't), and it totally screwed over one of my current characters. But that's the RAW. Monk 2 / Rogue 2 does not get Improved Evasion. So you would want to get Spell Reflection so you get something out of the deal.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm a Rules as Intended DM, and apply most stuff like that retroactively.

And yeah, completely forgot about Enlarge Person and familiar's Share Spells. Most players aren't insane enough to send their little pet into death. ;)

Remove ads