• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover Poll

Changeover Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 193 32.2%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 56 9.3%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 32 5.3%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 114 19.0%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 165 27.5%

MacMathan

Explorer
Started a fresh 4e campaign to try the rules out and our group has loved it!

We are now in the process of converting over a long running 3e campaign to 4e.

4e has even brought some players back to our group who had gotten burnt out on 3/3.5.

Our group as a whole has always moved forward with new editions.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Uhm, do you have any proof of this...because if not, all I'm hearing is... "If the poll doesn't agree with the game I like the most, then it must be being filled out by liars and frauds...but when it does agree with what I feel, yeah it's honest folk filling out that poll now." I mean this is a pretty big (though subtle) accusation, and I'd like to see anything that backs it up.

And since this poll has no impact on anything, why would anyone even bother "stuffing the box"?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Almost 400 votes in the first 24 hours. A very quick, strong response to the poll. (375 votes, to be precise, as I write this.)

We have:

Complete Changeover: 30.38%
No Change: 57.53%
Partial Changeover: 12.09%

A comment, if I may:

I did not specify whether games like Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, computer games like World of Warcraft, or other online games, counted as 'earlier editions' of D&D, or if they did not.
I left that up to those polled to decide. I am guessing (but just guessing, only) that the majority of those polled do not consider any of these to be any edition of D&D (except, perhaps, Pathfinder, but again I don't know.)

The point is, most of these people, I am guessing, also play some form of D&D, be it editions OD&D, 1st, 2nd, 3.0, 3.5, or 4th.
They may play 'pure' D&D, only once a year, but that still counts. Even if they spend 99% of their time playing something else, and 1% D&D, it still counts. I can't create a poll that grants greater weight for those who play D&D more - it is beyond the capacity of any poll I could create to do that.

So, as someone above said, take this poll for what it's worth (not much.)
It's just a poll. An incomplete, shallow, poll.

Remember something.
There is more gaming material available now, than at any time in the history of the Hobby.
This is partially due to the simple fact that more material is always being produced, and partially due to the fact that older material has been heavily put online and made available to the public (with the notable exception of items under heavy copyright where the copyright problems haven't yet been worked out, such as with Dragon Magazine ... and even there, large parts of these publications have been made available.)
And there are more alternate games than ever before. Same reason.
There are more computer alternatives than ever before.
There are more card alternatives than ever before.
All the games that preceeded D&D are still around.

Yes, I realize that officially, Hasbro only supports 4E, and Paizo supports Pathfinder, and so on, but ... all this great stuff is out there, and you can get most of it at bargain basement prices, or download it for a small fee online.

It's a veritable Paradise of gaming products for the gamer out there.

I once tried to type (yes, type) down all the spells, from all the gaming supplements that were 'official AD&D' products (I had to type a lot of spells repeatedly, as they came in enough flavors to be comparible to Friendly's Ice Cream - Dragon Magazine versions, 1E versions, 2E versions, a 2nd or 3rd 2E version, the version from the 2E Complete Wizard's Spell Compendium version ...)
I couldn't hope to try that stunt now. Take Magic Missile. Dragon, OD&D, 1E, 2E (and there are so many variants of Magic Missile in 2E, I couldn't shake a stick at them all), 3E, 3.5, and 4E (there is an equivalent there.)
And that's just the so called official stuff. There are spells from supplements ranging from Gaming Aids (those very ancient supplements) to the modern internet updates. And a huge load of spells from the works of Monte Cook and others. And different approaches to spells (so if you use a spell from this system in that system, you must adapt it accordingly - for example, the 2E Mantle spell (very complicated spell) into 3.0 format, or Magic Missile from 3.5 into 4th Edition.

What goes for spells, goes for everything else. Stats, classes, special classes (from the Witch of Dragon #43 - I think that was it) to the Loresraat Student (White Dwarf, early magazine) to the Bladesinger (2E or 3E version) to the Dwarven Battlerager (compliments, really, of Salvatore) to the Frenzied Berserker (someone at the company remembered the Death Master, and decided it was time for a long overdue revenge!), to the Initiate of the Seven Veils (wasn't it the dream of every wizard to, ultimately, have their own personal Prismatic Armor?) to all the new classes of 4E.
And we have more items, more skills (to use the items with), or the 4E system where you don't need either (you can just do it - you're competent enough to handle a 10 foot pole!), or if you would really like, very detailed skill sets ala ICE or D&D systems similar to that (some calculus required here ...)
We have feats, more feats, yet *more* feats, special feats, exalted feats, vile feats, Arcana Unearthed feats, Kalamar feats, Dragonlance feats, a ton of feats from magazines, feats made up by players and submitted online, feats galore (heck, we even have a Feat Master, and probably, several variations of *that* monstrosity as well!)

We have a veritable Niagra Falls of stuff. We have stuff coming out our ears. I have this huge Historical Library of D&D items, and it doesn't come close to being complete (I'd have to be a millionaire, to buy everything! Maybe a multi-millionaire. But with the new downloads, I can buy vast amounts of stuff that otherwise would have been too expensive for me.)

Don't you see, people? We don't have it worse than ever before. We have it BETTER than ever before. We have the most anyone has ever had. I could not have put this poll back up in the 80s (considered the Golden Age of Gaming!) because so little was available back then!

And heck ... regardless of what system you like, you can mix and match.
Love 4E, but want older elements? Create a hybrid. They did this with 3.5 and 3.0 and Arcana Unearthed and other products. They did it with 2E and 1E (they did it, a lot, with 2E and ... 2E ... lol.) They even did it with 1E/2E and OD&D.

If I could somehow create an Everlist - a complete book of every spell available from every edition of D&D, along with every spell from every magazine, every spell from the older supplements (like the Role-Aids supplements), every spell from alternate systems like Arcana Unearthed and Pathfinder, every spell submitted by players ... I think I would have something on the order of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. If it were one book, it would be 6 feet tall, 6 feet wide, 2 feet thick, and in 6 point font (helvetica.)
You know what the greatest thing is? One of these days, they will have *that* book, only online. Weightless, no bulk, and able to use a search engine to find what I'm looking for instantly. Reasonably cheap, too. (Better than an artifact/relic to a D&D wizard, no?)

JeffB

Legend
Completely anecdotal here, but there seems to be a decent pro-4e crowd amongst the BECM crew and, to a lesser extent, the 1E AD&D crew. I contend this is due to the similarities between 4e and those systems - mainly the "feel" of the games around the table.

FWIW- I'm a 4E fan, and also hang out at DF, OD&D Discussion, S&W forums, and a few other "old school-ish" boards like Necromancer games & troll lord Games (which are pretty much anti-4E as well). I'm a big fan of OD&D (LBB) as well as B/X (moldvbay/cook/marsh) and ran a S&W game for some old friends recently. I get a LBB/B/X vibe from 4E, and have since day one. YMMV.:)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
FWIW- I'm a 4E fan, and also hang out at DF, OD&D Discussion, S&W forums, and a few other "old school-ish" boards like Necromancer games & troll lord Games (which are pretty much anti-4E as well). I'm a big fan of OD&D (LBB) as well as B/X (moldvbay/cook/marsh) and ran a S&W game for some old friends recently. I get a LBB/B/X vibe from 4E, and have since day one. YMMV.:)

Do you have links to these boards? If yes, is it allowed by ENWorld's rules for you to put them up here?

I'm curious. They would bring back old, and pleasant, memories, I think, if I were able to go and browse them.

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
And since this poll has no impact on anything, why would anyone even bother "stuffing the box"?

Nerd rage.

I would like to add, I find it hilarious that folks think the responses of the internet's largest/best D&D community are meaningless. There is no other forum with the cred of ENworld.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Do you have links to these boards? If yes, is it allowed by ENWorld's rules for you to put them up here?

I'm curious. They would bring back old, and pleasant, memories, I think, if I were able to go and browse them.

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

If it's aproblem I guess the moderators will let me know :confused:

Warning- 3E and 4E discussion is off limits-period- at Dragonsfoot

The ODD discussion boards are strictly Original D&D (little brown books), with the occasional 1E/OSRIC or Holmes Basic threads and some early TSR product discussion (John Carter, EPT, etc). This is also the home of Fight ON! magazine- great community here witha wealth of knowledge.

OD&D discussion

Swords & Wizardry is a OD&D retro-clone with a small friendly community that discusses roughly the same material as the OD&D boards.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Thanks a lot, Jeff. I appreciate it. Bookmarked them all.

Any 1E, 2E, and 3E forums? (including, 3.0 ... 3.0 was only the Official game for a few short years, and I am merely curious if any boards are dedicated to it.)

JeffB

Legend
Thanks a lot, Jeff. I appreciate it. Bookmarked them all.

Any 1E, 2E, and 3E forums? (including, 3.0 ... 3.0 was only the Official game for a few short years, and I am merely curious if any boards are dedicated to it.)

You're very welcome :D I know of no specific 1/2/3/E forum, though the Necromancer Games forum is friendly to all 3 versions for the most part (about the same as here @ ENworld). Goodman games covers 1/3/4E as well as C&C. Troll Lord Games is friendly to anything save perhaps 4E and especially Gygax Games discussion :p

The Necro boards are full of good people as is OD&D discussion and the S&W boards- those are my most traveled sites and my reccomendations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads