• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover Poll

Changeover Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 193 32.2%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 56 9.3%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 32 5.3%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 114 19.0%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 165 27.5%

dougmander

Explorer
I voted "all earlier edition play" because that was the closest option. I'm actually running two RISUS campaigns and one Castles and Crusades campaign.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I find it stunning that over 50% of the poll respondents - on a D&D fan site - are not playing the latest edition. That's crazy!

Not to mention the high number of people who have apparently tried the edition and went back to an older edtion (or something else).

Wow.

Darkwolf71

First Post
EN World is a great community, but it is nowhere near representative of all D&D gamers. The WotC boards dwarf EN World and at this point are probably like 90% 4e players if not higher.
That may be, but the wizards boards practically showed 3e players the door. I'm not saying they should continue to spend large amounts of time and effort on old editions, but cramming 3.x into the same forums as 1e/2e was.. I'm suprised they get any 3e traffic.

On the issue of drawing possibly unsubstantiated conclusions from ENWorld polls, I've noticed on occasion (caveat: observer bias, selective memory, etc.) that polls related to the popularity of 4E tend to get more "pro-4E" responses from the late morning to the late evening where I am (Singapore). This translates to something like GMT 0200 to GMT 1400 (I think).

I wonder if this means, at least among ENWorld members, that 4E is more popular in Europe and Asia than it is in the US?
That's an interesting thought.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We did a 4E one-shot and basically mocked it the entire time - it just wasn't our style.

I voted "tried it and went back to earlier edition play".

Aus_Snow

First Post
Haven't tried it, and would rather not*. Happily, it looks like I'll never have to, as the conversion rate around here strikes me as staggeringly low.

Yay! :cool:

* And yes, I have actually read it. 'It' being the core three, in this case.

Mallus

Legend
I voted 'mostly over'. For the moment, my group's only playing a homebrew 4e campaign, which is taking off like a nerd-filled rocket (is that an oxymoron??).

In January I hope to restart our long-running 3.5e homebrew campaign, which is entering the 3rd and final act. While I love the campaign, I'm not so enamored of higher-level 3.5e. Converting it to 4e isn't an option --too difficult-- but there's been some talk about switching it to M&M2e, especially if the fantasy sourcebook for it is released soon.

4e does exactly what I want it to do: provide a fast, easy-to-use, and combat-wise, tactically rich mechanical framework upon which my friends and I can hang their nutty imaginings. While I can understand the whole "lacks flavor" position, it's not something we experience. Flavor is something we bring to table. In spades.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads