• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changeover Poll

Changeover Poll

• Complete Changeover: All 4E played now, no earlier editions of D&D

Votes: 193 32.2%
  • Largely over: Mostly 4E played now, some earlier edition play

Votes: 56 9.3%
  • Half over: Half 4E played now, half earlier edition play

Votes: 32 5.3%
  • Partial Changeover: Some 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • Slight Changeover: A little 4E played now, mostly earlier edition play

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • No Change: Tried 4E, went back to earlier edition play

Votes: 114 19.0%
  • No Change: Never tried 4E, all earlier edition play

Votes: 165 27.5%

bouncyhead

Explorer
I fully expected to see a 70% (or so) changeover to 4.0.
Me too. If not more.
I would have assumed that as more books were released and more options were added that the resistance to change would wane. Maybe in time this will be the case
The acid test will be the sales (or lack thereof) of the second round of books.
I sped to my FLGS to pick up my boxed set but won't be troubling them for PHBII.
... it appears that WotC will have a ways to go to try to recapture those that have turned away. They most certainly have lost momentum.
I reckon they are too late. My guess is that very few non-adopters think the system is fundamentally sound and are just are waiting for more 'stuff' before switching. That's only my guess of course.

Darkwolf71

First Post
If this comparison doesn't represent an emigration of 4E players from EN World (and maybe even if it does), this is very, very bad news for 4E.
Well, this poll is proably not catching many of those new to the game with 4e. Heck, maybe none. So it is possible for 4e to be successsful without us old grognards.

So, while this could be very bad news for WotC, it's likely a bit premature to be saying so definitivly. PHB2 sales should be very telling one way or the other.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Well, this poll is proably not catching many of those new to the game with 4e. Heck, maybe none. So it is possible for 4e to be successsful without us old grognards.

I've been operating under the assumption that was the strategy since the first previews. I don't agree with it, but I certainly understand it. WotC can't operate on the niche market model-- that's folly.

If RPGs are to be a niche market forever-- and if 4e fails, it's possible that RPGs won't ever be more than niche-- it basically assures those niche customers that there won't be any full-time designers doing RPGs.

Dragon Snack

First Post
[insert standard disclaimer about the reliability of EnWorld polls and selection bias]
But it the poll is what it is and these are the numbers we have to work with (and the numbers for option 7 are pretty darn close, which lends a bit of credence).

Uh, no?

:hmm:

32% is as close to 1/3 as necessary to call it 1/3.

1/3* have fully switched over to 4e.

2/3* have NOT fully switched over to 4e.[/SIZE]
Well, we may have to agree to disagree, but (IMNSHO) it's insincere to say that if you are not half (or "fully") over you haven't "really" changed over. If you are playing, even a little bit, you are probably buying books (edit: the majority of people at least) and keeping current on the game. THAT is a changeover, like it or not (and quite honestly, you shouldn't need to pile on when 58% aren't playing anyway).

Gryffyn

First Post
If this comparison doesn't represent an emigration of 4E players from EN World (and maybe even if it does), this is very, very bad news for 4E.

I'm really surprised at how severe these numbers are. The last time I recall the majority of a game's audience rejecting a new edition like this is when Hero Games tried Champions:New Millenium. (At least, for a game I pay attention to.)

Scribble

First Post
You're moving the goalposts on me. If someone is holding a gun to your head they're not really getting you buy something you DO want, they're forcing you to buy something you don't.

And you're still paying for the bundled stuff, even if it seems like you're getting it for "free" (the cost may be negligible, but there is a cost)...

Ok I'll give you that. If the gun one counts then the bait n switch should too I guess.

The basic point still stands though I'd say.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
But it the poll is what it is and these are the numbers we have to work with (and the numbers for option 7 are pretty darn close, which lends a bit of credence).

Yes, the poll is what it is.

If you are playing, even a little bit, you are probably buying books (edit: the majority of people at least) and keeping current on the game.

And it definitely isn't that.

That's a huge leap. HUGE.

I think it's far more likely that if you are playing "a little bit" then you aren't remotely invested enough to buy the books and certainly not to keep current on the game.

(I assume by keeping current you meant keeping current on buying products-- as opposed to just keeping up on the news.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
PHB2 sales should be very telling one way or the other.

But who will be told?

Sales numbers, so far as I know, are only given to WotC. So unless they announce them, or unless somebody at a given retail store lets something slip (which'd only mean something for that store) we're not really going to know just how well the second round of Core Rulebooks sell.

Remove ads