• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changes to the 3.5 ranger?

mooby

First Post
Just wondering, whats going to change with these guys?

I'm interested in something that has been said that will change, not opinions.

thanx

There's a page at www.enworld.org that has the changes.

In short: you get to choose either an archery or two-weapon fighting combat style, and it isn't available at first level, either.

Rangers are getting 6 skill points per level, as well, and I've heard that their favored enemy is being beefed up. I'm not sure how, exactly.

Then there are many other rumored changes.

Merlion

First Post
Their getting something called "wild empathy" and the ability to track while running. I've heard Favored Enemy is going to offer the same bonus to all enemies rather than higher to the earlier and lower to the later. I also hear its going to be narrowed slightly...perhaps something like catagories of simliar creatures rather than whole creature types. Presumbly their spell list is reciving work as well.

Merlion

First Post
Their's been rumours that they will have a d8 hit die, no conformation.
~shrugs~ it all sounds about right to me. IMO ranger was the worst designed class in the 3e PHB...their just getting what they needed all along.

Desdinova

First Post
What they are basically taking away from it is the front-loading and giving it a progression of benefits more evenly distributed throughout the progression. In other words, the majority of the benefits of the class will not be gained at 1st level.

That way, Ranger will not be a "take a level to get the benefits and leave it" class and will reward characters who continue their advancement in the class.

DonAdam

Explorer
Well, if the core classes are as beefed up as the prestige classes (Theurge) then it won't be a "giving up" situation

daTim

First Post
From what I could tell from the new Dungeon Magazine, some of the new abilities are outlined there.

Wild Empathy seems to lower the DC for skill checks relating to animals and other natural animals by 5. In particular it is mentioned that a Spot and an Animal Empathy check are lowered by this. So I imagine it is any interaction.

The favored enemy is likely beefed up, as a ranger below 5th lvl had Favored Enemy Elves (+2), though it seems to be of a narower focus.

Remove ads