• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changes to the Samurai class

Macbeth

First Post
Well, since we are mucking around with the samurai class, I was thinking it would be good to collect all our changes in one place. Unfortunately, I can't remember what agreement we came to as to the first level. Since Li is going to be keeping the naganaki, I believe a replacement was suggested to the first level free one-handed bastard sword proficiency, but I can't remember exactly what. Cleave maybe? I know that replacing some of the duel wielding feats with feats from the cleave progression was mentioned, I just can't remember what (if any) changes we decided to make at first level.

BSF

Explorer
The Nagamaki is practically a polearm. Cost: 8gp Damage: 2d4 Crit: x3 Weight: 10lb Type: Slashing

For Li's purposes, let's use Weapon Focus (Nagamaki) as his equivelant Daisho, Power Attack for Two Swords as One, Power Critical (Nagamaki) for Improved Two Swords as One, and Improved Critical (Nagamaki) for Greater Two Swords as One.

Does that sound fair? It seems to focus on improving damage potential, though it might not be the same output as a traditional Samurai. We might want to re-evaluate down the road.

BSF

Explorer
Right now, I am looking at the Samurai class (from Complete Warrior) and I am thinking long and hard about why Li should be constrained by the multi-class limitation. I suppose that the book version might be considered to be a little front loaded with the two-weapon progression. However, if somebody wanted to exploit that, they could start as a Samurai, get the feats and then multi-class elsewhere.

In the context of our specific campaign, can anybody come up with a good reason why Li should not be able to multi-class with Psychic Warrior as he wishes? For me, adhering to his code is far more important. Indeed, I would have been happy with Li being any class and calling himself a Samurai if he were following the Code of Bushido that he does. So, can anybody come up with a good, solid reason why Li shouldn't be able to freely multi-class, so long as he maintains his Code?

If not, then I think I will waive the multi-class restrictions.

Remove ads