• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing EQ classes so that they better fit in D&D

Kanegrundar

Explorer
What I'm wondering is if it would be worth attempting to change the EQ classes so that they would work in line with D&D, OA, and AU classes? I like the EQ system and some of the ideas presented in the EQPHB, but none of my players really want to play in a dedicated EQ game. What I would like to do is add the classes, keep the mana system, keep the flavor and feel, but keep them balanced with regular D&D/D20 classes. I know that with enough work it would be possible, but would it take too much work?

Any thoughts would be helpful, or links to works that have already attempted this feat.

Thanks,
Kane

Wombat

First Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I am staying away from it because it is EverQuest...

However, for those who do like the setting, it hope if fits and even exceeds all your expectations. :)

Planesdragon

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
I like the EQ system and some of the ideas presented in the EQPHB, but none of my players really want to play in a dedicated EQ game.
As in, "they don't like the EQ system", or "they don't like the EQ world?"

If it's the former, I've got a massive rules-tweak that borrows some from EQ and comes out a lot closer to D&D.

If it's the later, just use the EQ system parts that you like, and the D&D parts that you like, and use your own world. The worst that you'll have to do is write up your own NPCs.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Planesdragon said:
As in, "they don't like the EQ system", or "they don't like the EQ world?"

If it's the former, I've got a massive rules-tweak that borrows some from EQ and comes out a lot closer to D&D.

Pretty much both. We're playing in my homebrew world and they like the changes I've made to the backgrounds for the races, so I'm good in that arena, but I would like to implement the EQ classes along side sorcerers, druids, barbarians, and the other D&D classes in a balanced manner. That way, I don't feel like I payed a bunch of money for a few races. That, and I like the mana system.

I would like to see what you've done to the EQ classes. Did you keep the mana system or make it more of a regular cast and forget system? How did you deal with D&D wizards verses EQ wizards?

We use core classes from D&D, OA, UA (we keep the systems apart, so no trading of spell lists and such), and just added mystics and nobles from Dragonlance. We have a lot of options, but I think that the EQ classes could add another level of strategy, and admittedly complexity, to the campaign.

Thanks,
Kane

Planesdragon

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Pretty much both. We're playing in my homebrew world and they like the changes I've made to the backgrounds for the races, so I'm good in that arena, but I would like to implement the EQ classes along side sorcerers, druids, barbarians, and the other D&D classes in a balanced manner. That way, I don't feel like I payed a bunch of money for a few races. That, and I like the mana system.
I don't think that's possible. Well, if it feels right it for your group it is, but I think that striving for "balance" in the sense it's normally meant is more trouble than its worth in some cases.

To mix classes, you'd just have to edit some D&D classes to take advantage of the combinted EQ/D&D skill list. At the worst, you'll wind up with some classes that are all around better, just like NPC classes.

I would like to see what you've done to the EQ classes. Did you keep the mana system or make it more of a regular cast and forget system? How did you deal with D&D wizards verses EQ wizards?
I'm fairly close to the SRD classes, sans monk, barabarian, bard, and sorceror, add-in Blessed, Knight, and Mage, and tweak the remainder to fit better. (Defense and reputation bonuses.)

For spells, I use a new mana system that works better with the SRD spells than the EQ ones--mana is the measure of power, level the measure of complexity, and caster-level determines what level of spell you can cast and how much mana you can throw each round. (And then there are Sources of Magic, and a new way of dealing with arcane/divine spells, and Training to fix the front-loaded bit of multiclassing...)

There are oodles of other small tweaks--LAs for everything, Weapon Speeds from EQ, a new ability score--but it's got most of what I saw in EQ that I felt was worth taking.

Remove ads