• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing grip from 1h to 2h?

atom crash

First Post
Originally posted by FireLance
I'd rule that it's a free action, but the character has to make the decision on his turn, before he attacks, and the effects last until his next turn. It is similar to deciding which opponent to use the Dodge feat against, or how much to Power Attack or use Combat Expertise for. I wouldn't make it a swift action as it would imply that he cannot take any other swift action on a round in which he switches his grip, and I tend to restrict the swift action to magical effects.

This sounds extremely reasonable to me. On your turn you decide whether you're wielding your weapon one-handed or two-handed, and this holds until you get to act again.

Originally posted by dcollins
My personal best ruling would be "free action, but only one per round".

This also seems very fair. It would allow a character who was already wielding a weapon two-handed to attack and then switch to a one-handed grip at the end of the round until his next turn. This would allow a gauntlet-wearing character with a reach weapon to use the reach weapon for his attack and then ready the gauntlet (but not the reach weapon) for AoOs, something not allowed by FireLance's method above.

Ultimately, it should cost something to switch your grip from one-handed to two-handed, but it shouldn't be a mechanic that bogs down play. Just as speaking is a free action, but you need reasonable restrictions for how much a character can speak in a six-second round: simple statements are okay but no reciting Shakespeare.

And I agree that it shouldn't be a "Swift Action," as that mechanic seems to be reserved for spells.

dcollins

Explorer
And actually, my intent and motivation is exactly the same as Firelance's. My comment was just trying to hew as closely to the existing rules as possible, without (arguably) rising to the level of a house rule.

FireLance said:
I'd rule that it's a free action, but the character has to make the decision on his turn, before he attacks, and the effects last until his next turn. It is similar to deciding which opponent to use the Dodge feat against, or how much to Power Attack or use Combat Expertise for. I wouldn't make it a swift action as it would imply that he cannot take any other swift action on a round in which he switches his grip, and I tend to restrict the swift action to magical effects.

I'd agree with this interpretation. It goes well with the ability a double-weapon user has to strike as if it were a two-handed weapon on one round, as he takes one attack, and then strike with both ends at reduced damage next round.

Good thing to ask, though.

I'd rule that it's a free-action, doable as many times per round as you want.

There shall be no "Wizard with a staff can't cast a spell and still threaten" rulings from me here - which is a logical extension of the way dcollins and FireLance are ruling.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Hypersmurf said:
In the 3E Main FAQ, Skip Williams said it's a free action.

Then, in the 3.5 Main FAQ, Andy Collins said it's a move action.

Then, in the Rules of the Game column, Skip Williams said it's a free action.

-Hyp.
2 to 1, free action wins.

PaulGreystoke

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
In the 3E Main FAQ, Skip Williams said it's a free action.

Then, in the 3.5 Main FAQ, Andy Collins said it's a move action.

Then, in the Rules of the Game column, Skip Williams said it's a free action.

-Hyp.
In our game, we ruled that it was the same as drawing a weapon. That meant that a character with a BAB of +1 or higher could combine switching grip with a regular move.

atom crash

First Post
In our game, we ruled that it was the same as drawing a weapon. That meant that a character with a BAB of +1 or higher could combine switching grip with a regular move.

That would also mean that without a regular move, switching grip counts as a move action, right?

Shellman

First Post
If I were the DM I'd rile it a swift or free action. I can easily see any combatant switching from one handed to two handed while moving.

Arkhandus

First Post
It's got to be a free action. Does it take you 3 whole seconds to let go of a baseball bat with one hand while still holding it with the other hand? Does it take you 3 whole seconds to resume holding it with both hands? Of course not. If that were the case, wouldn't it also be so that letting go of an arrow when firing a bow, and then grabbing another arrow, would be a move-equivalent action as well? You're moving your hand back towards your shoulder and pulling an arrow out then nocking it, but it's a free action, so why should moving your hand a few inches away from your sword handle, or back again, take any longer? So changing your grip is a free action.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads