• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing the Chameleon PrC to a base class -suggestions?

Lordgrae

First Post
I'd like to play this for an upcoming campaign. I'm changing it around slightly to be more of a Jack of All Trades more so then a "secret society of skilled doppleganger based mimicry".

I'm currently thinking d6 HD, 3/4 BA, and using the Bard spell progression table. It's hard to compare to the base PrC though, as what you would have when you take it would change heavily based on what class you had when you entered. Most classes can qualify, though a Rogue or Bard has the easiest time of it.

My main questions are, what other class features would you add? Which would you recommend against adding for balance reasons.

What skills would you recommend, and how many skill points?

How would you spread out the Chameleons class features over the 20 levels?

How broken is this:
Spontaneous Mimicry: You may ready an action to perfectly mimic one target within 30ft. The target does not have to be chosen when you ready. You perform the action you mimic exactly as the original target but with you chose any new targets or variables associated with the action. You may do this once per day at 5th level, and an additional time per day for every 5 levels you possess.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Grae

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The nice thing about the PrC is that it's flexible enough to help nearly any party, but not powerful enough to rain on anyone's special tricks. The spell progression, for example, is great -- you start out able to cast more different spells than a cleric or druid, but you are forever behind them in number of spells and spell-level.

Since the PrC is so flexible, what you do with it really depends on how you fill up those five or six levels before taking Chameleon. The floating bonus feat is incredibly useful when it's spent to augment certain signature class features (like "extra favored enemy" or "craft wondrous item") -- but feats that you need *other classes* to qualify for.

Anyway. It's a tough job. Good luck! :)

-- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads