• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

changing the healing spells

How about having Cure spells heal x damage per target level?

Cure light could heal (1 + con bonus/4) per level
Cure medium could heal (2 + con bonus/2) per level
Cure serious could heal (3 + 3*con bonus/4) per level
Cure critical could heal (4 + con bonus) per level

-Albert

airwalkrr

Adventurer
If I understand your healing system, then healing becomes drastically lessened. But I suspect I am wrong. Perhaps you could elucidate the system a bit better.

Lessened at low levels, ultimately increased once the recipient gets past 6th level.

As is,

CLW heals 1d8 + 1/level (max 5), ie an average of 5-6 at minimum level and 9-10 at max level
CMW heals 2d8 + 1/level (max 10), ie an average of 12 at minimum level and 19 at max level
CSW heals 3d8 + 1/level (max 15), ie an average of 18-19 at minimum level and 28-29 at max level
CCW heals 4d8 + 1/level (max 20), ie an average of 25 at minimum level and 38 at max level

If the target is 1st level:

The new CLW would heal 1 hp plus Con bonus/4
The new CMW would heal 2 hp plus Con bonus/2
The new CSW would heal 3 hp plus 3(Con bonus/4)
The new CCW would heal 4 hp plus Con bonus

If the target is 6th level:

The new CLW would heal 6 hp plus 3(Con bonus/2)
The new CMW would heal 12 hp plus 3(Con bonus)
The new CSW would heal 18 hp plus 9(Con bonus/2)
The new CCW would heal 24 hp plus 6(Con bonus)

If the target is 12th level:

The new CLW would heal 12 hp plus 3(Con bonus)
The new CMW would heal 24 hp plus 6(Con bonus)
The new CSW would heal 36 hp plus 9(Con bonus)
The new CCW would heal 48 hp plus 12(Con bonus)

-Albert

GreatLemur

Explorer
Yeah, so the idea here is to end the weird mechanics artifact of characters with more hitpoints taking longer to recover from injuries, right? I like the idea. The math gets pretty weird for Cure Serious, though.

szilard

First Post
The Con bit is clunky, and I'd like to see some possible variation (so that healing spell maximization does something) and/or something dependent on caster level.

What about:

CLW heals 1 hp/target level + 1d4 for every three caster levels (max 2d4)

CMW heals 2 hp/target level + 1d4 for every three caster levels (max 3d4)

CSW heals 3 hp/target level + 1d4 for every three caster levels (max 4d4)

CCW heals 4 hp/target level + 1d4 for every three caster levels (max 5d4)

-Stuart

Bladesong

Explorer
Why don't you make it simpler rather than just a different complexity? Why does everything have to be a random roll?
How about:
CLW heals 5 hps per level (max 15)
CMW heals 5 hps per level (max 25)
CSW heals 5 hps per level (max 35)
CCW heals 5 hps per level (max 55)

Yes there is an overlap...who cares? It is magic after all. You may ask "What about the Healing domain of a cleric?" How about that cleric heals an extra +5 hps for each spell?
Add a random mechanic to the heal skill for some minor healing where it would be more appropriate and would make more sense if it was random (I would not let it heal too much though maybe the equivalent of the CLW spell as it stands now or CMW if they roll high).

Nadaka

First Post
Or you could change the cures to heal a percentage of the targets HP.

CLW cures 1d2 * caster level % of the targets max hp.
CMW cures 1d4 * caster level % of the targets max hp.
CSW cures 1d6 * caster level % of the targets max hp.
CCW cures 1d8 * caster level % of the targets max hp.

or something similar.

I put in the Con bit because people with high Constitution shouldn't need more healing to get up to full. If anything, they should do it faster.

Of course, this may all be moot. I'm thinking of dividing HP into:

Vitality Points - actual health (heals slowly)
Wind Points - hp that represent the tendancy to take a hit properly, lessening the damage. (heals faster)
Evasion Points - hp that represent the ability to completely avoid damage through desperate evasion. (heals _much_ faster)

Evasion points would be good for avoiding poisoned weapons. Dunno what I'll do with Touch AC and Evasion points. Maybe assign a high Evasion Point cost to negate an otherwise successful Touch Attack.

-Albert

szilard

First Post
As I see it, Caster level and Target level are more important than Con bonus. Having three variables seems to be too much.

Now I'm just brainstorming, but how about this:

CLW heals 1d6 per [(target level + caster level)/4] (min 1d6, max 3d6)

CMW heals 1d6 per [(target level + caster level)/3] (min 1d6, max 6d6)

CSW heals 1d6 per [(target level + caster level)/2] (min 1d6, max 15d6)

CCW heals 1d6 per [(target level + caster level)/1] (min 1d6, max 25d6)

-Stuart

Tinker

First Post
You could have each spell restore a certain percentage of lost hit points.

Or rather, to prevent CLW being useless at low levels, you could say that each restores a certain percentage of lost hit points, plus a fixed number or die range extra.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads