• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing the rules (d20 Modern)

Peterson

First Post
Probably the first thing I would change would be the Nonlethal Damage rules. Here's what I use:

NONLETHAL DAMAGE
Dealing Nonlethal Damage:
Certain attacks deal nonlethal damage. Other effects, such as heat or being exhausted, also deal nonlethal damage. When you take nonlethal damage, keep a running total of how much you’ve accumulated. Do not deduct the nonlethal damage number from your current hit points. It is not “real” damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered, and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. It doesn’t matter whether the nonlethal damage equals or exceeds your current hit points because the nonlethal damage has gone up or because your current hit points have gone down.
Staggered and Unconscious: When your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered. You can only take a standard action or a move action in each round. You cease being staggered when your current hit points once again exceed your nonlethal damage.
When your nonlethal damage exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. While unconscious, you are helpless.
If the damage equals or exceeds the target’s massive damage threshold, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 15). If the target succeeds on the save, the target is dazed for 1 round. If the target fails, he or she is knocked unconscious for 1d4+1 rounds.

I find that this combination of D&D and D20 Modern works great, especially if you're running a boxer-type character.

What I wouldn't change: The d20 Modern Base Classes! Genius.

Aussiegamer

First Post
I hate cross class skill system.

It forces characters to use a rigid career path set for them and does not allow for a true flexiable system which allows the players to make a character they want without having to multi-class!

Urizen

First Post
jezter6 said:
Never! I would like to see more support from GR and the licensees of True20 and Superlink, but would never in my right mind ask for it to become the train wreck that is WotC.

Besides, let them have D&D. I have no use for it, and the more broken they make it the more fun I get to have laughing at it.

I'm planning on ramping up my company's support of the True20 game system. I've just posted an open call for writers interested in writing and development of true20 products.

Roudi

First Post
Urizen said:
I'm planning on ramping up my company's support of the True20 game system. I've just posted an open call for writers interested in writing and development of true20 products.
An' I helped!

Greg K

Legend
ValhallaGH said:
Must Change: Skills. The way skills are currently run is way too limiting. I'd much prefer Skill Groups, but that's not a surprise given what I've authored..

I despise skill groups. One of the things I really disliked about Iron Heroes.

Greg K

Legend
Ranger REG said:
Even better. WotC buys Green Ronin.

*evil laugh* :]

I would like to see it be the other way around. I would love to see GR with the DND license and put Steve Kenson on it or use the True20 system.

EditorBFG

Explorer
ValhallaGH said:
Greg K said:
I despise skill groups.
I'm curious as to why that is. Would you be willing to elaborate? I'd like to hear your reasons.
I would too. I like Skill Groups a lot. They do not replace they existing system, they just add an easier option for players. Why would you despise that?

Ranger REG

Explorer
jezter6 said:
Never! I would like to see more support from GR and the licensees of True20 and Superlink, but would never in my right mind ask for it to become the train wreck that is WotC.
Are you sure you're in your right mind? :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads