• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing weapons in combat

morbiczer

First Post
Hello!

I have a few questions about changing weapons in combat. I think it's best if I post some examples and you can comment on those.

1. 15th level Fighter is making a full attack, so he can make three attack rolls. If he has the Quick Draw feat, can he make his attack with a sword or some other weapon he had in his hand, then drop it (free action), then draw a dagger or something (free action) and than make his two other attack with his new weapon?

2. Same Fighter has also the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Can he make his first two attacks with a sword and than his third one with an unarmed strike, but still holding the sword? What if he has also a shield (so that both his hands are full)?

3. 1st level monk is fighting with a quarterstaff. In round 1 he makes an attack with his staff. Can he make in round two an unarmed attack although he holds the staff with both his hands? If he is higher level (8th for example) and making a full attack, could he mix attacks with his staff and unarmed attacks?

shilsen

Adventurer
1. Yes. You can even mix melee and ranged attacks this way. For example, you swing a sword with your first attack, dropping the only enemy in melee range. Then you drop it (free action), pull out your bow (free action), and shoot with the other attacks.

2. No (I think). That would count as two-weapon fighting and incur the usual penalties. If he had a shield and a sword in his hands, he could still attack with an unarmed strike (description says it can be a kick, head butt, etc.).

3. Yes, and yes.

Pagan priest

First Post
So, even typing a one word responce and someone still gets in ahead of me. :rolleyes:

The fighter using UA attacks with sword attacks is indeed counted as fighting with two weapons. I actually find that a little strange, but that is the rule.

Shallown

First Post
Disagree with #2 answers above.

I am not positive rules wise if I am correct but if you can make an unarmed attack with a shield and longsword without penalty you should be able to make it with just a longsword. you aren't using two weapons your using a weapon and a unarmed attack. I think only monks have their unarmed attacks considered to be weapons or not as they choose.

Plus it just doesn't make sense. I admit not everythingin the rules does but some things just smacks my common sense and this is one of them

later

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
shilsen said:
2. No (I think). That would count as two-weapon fighting and incur the usual penalties. If he had a shield and a sword in his hands, he could still attack with an unarmed strike (description says it can be a kick, head butt, etc.).

I would think TWF penalties would only apply if you are getting the benefit of the extra attack.

shilsen

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
I would think TWF penalties would only apply if you are getting the benefit of the extra attack.

I think you're correct, but it's not very well-spelled out in the rules. It's fairly straightforward if someone with (for example) three attacks makes two with a sword and then punches with the other hand for the third. That would be an attack with the off-hand and be at -4 and only apply half Str damage. But what about if you decide to make two attacks and then kick someone? Is there an off-foot in there somewhere?

Aezoc

First Post
shilsen said:
I think you're correct, but it's not very well-spelled out in the rules. It's fairly straightforward if someone with (for example) three attacks makes two with a sword and then punches with the other hand for the third. That would be an attack with the off-hand and be at -4 and only apply half Str damage.

I would rule it the same way in my game, but since there's no requirement saying you have to spell out what body part you're using for an unarmed attack, it's silly to penalize yourself by specifying that you are using your off-hand (see below).

But what about if you decide to make two attacks and then kick someone? Is there an off-foot in there somewhere?

Multiple attacks by virtue of a high BAB means that you are entitled to X number of primary attacks. If you choose to make them with multiple weapons (thanks to Quick Draw), they're not treated any differently. Same goes if you make some of them as unarmed attacks. If there's a good reason to rule an iterative unarmed attack as off-hand (maybe the character has claws which inflict higher damage than a regular unarmed attack), then inform the player that it will be an off-hand attack, but he's entitled to another sword swing if he wants it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ridley's Cohort said:

It hinges on your interpretation of "fight this way".

"If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. You suffer a –6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a –10 penalty to the attack with your off hand when you fight this way."

Does "fight this way" refer to "wield a second weapon in your off hand" or "get one extra attack"?

The Defending weapon special ability allows "the wielder" to transfer enhancement bonus to AC. If you're just holding a Defending weapon, you can't; you must be wielding it.

There's a question in the 3E Main FAQ about using a Defending weapon in your off hand. The answer is that you can only benefit from the AC bonus if you incur TWF penalties... even if you don't attack with the weapon.

So, wielding a second weapon in your off hand incurs TWF penalties... even if you don't take the extra attack that this allows.

Thus, with a BAB of +11, if I attack twice with the longsword in my right hand, and once with the shortsword in my left hand, I am "wielding a second weapon in my off hand", and therefore I "fight this way"... so I take TWF penalties, even though I'm not taking the extra attack.

-Hyp.

morbiczer

First Post
"Thus, with a BAB of +11, if I attack twice with the longsword in my right hand, and once with the shortsword in my left hand, I am "wielding a second weapon in my off hand", and therefore I "fight this way"... so I take TWF penalties, even though I'm not taking the extra attack."

This seems obvious, but what if you don't use a short sword in your off-hand, but try to land an unarmed attack (headbutt, kick etc.)?

Is this situation covered at all in the rules?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads