• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chaotic Neutral Alignment should be against the rules!!!

Wolf72

Explorer
here's an idea ...

mind this is just one person's version (but I like it ...) ...

 Chaotic Neutral

I. Change is essential for promotion of growth, evolution and opportunity. Foster change without reservation; even if benefits are not readily apparent from one perspective, initiating change may provide new avenues of opportunity.

II. Nothing is linear. There can be no true order as change is the nature of the universe. Nothing endures under scrutiny, but change is constant and eternal.

III. As the universe itself is always changing, there is no obligation. All things, even those things that seem immutable, alter their essence under the optimum circumstances.

IV. Tradition, discipline and hierarchy prevent creativity, stifle evolution, and restrict opportunity. Ignore them at best, and oppose them if they cannot be ignored.

V. The nature of life is to respond to environment. Respond to the need at hand. Each moment is unique.

VI. Consistency is illusion.

VII. Conformity places the consensus before the Self. The ideal of self in anathema to conformity. There is no separation. Conformity ultimately threatens the individual and restricts freedom of movement and action that opposes stagnation. Conformity is death.

VIII. If the flow of evolution is stopped, the species dies as the world changes. If the flow of blood is stopped, life ceases as nourishment ceases. Stop time, and potential is never awakened. Eliminate motion, and you eliminate actualization. Life is motion. Move or die.

IX. Chance rules; there exists no fate or predetermined outcome. Therein lies the secret of potential. That which seems identical is in fact unique. What men perceive as unalterable is limited by the power of their comprehension; as men are not omniscient, neither are their laws omnipresent.

X. You are not obligated to believe what others believe. Your perception is what shapes your existence and none other. Definition limits. Acceptance unleashes.

The credit by-line should be "Created by Serge F. Clermont of Atlanta, GA, September 2000, in a series of original submissions to the EN World Forums. Please contact the writer at serge@mindspring.com for permission of inclusion as online material for web sites, or other questions regarding use or content."

reapersaurus

Explorer
I agree.

Chaotic Neutral sucks ***. ;)

And in my "heroic fantasy" opinion, a PC that steals from others is EVIL, not CN.

edit: why don't they have a filter for a**, if they don't want us saying it?

Last edited:

Hennet

First Post
Re: here's an idea ...

Wolf72 said:
mind this is just one person's version (but I like it ...) ...

 Chaotic Neutral

I. Change is essential for promotion of growth, evolution and opportunity. Foster change without reservation; even if benefits are not readily apparent from one perspective, initiating change may provide new avenues of opportunity.

Are their treatises like this on the rest of the alignments archived some where? I'd like to read them.
--Hennet

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LostSoul has it right. Alignment follows actions. If on the long-term average the character acts in an evil manner, he's evil. CN doesn't mean "does anything he pleases". It means that he specifically chooses to not follow rules, supports personal freedom. It means that he doesn't do anything particularly good, or particularly evil. Specifically, if he kills for no good reason, he isn't being "neutral".

Wolf72

Explorer
Re: Re: here's an idea ...

Hennet said:

Are their treatises like this on the rest of the alignments archived some where? I'd like to read them.
--Hennet

why yes there are ... orginally posted by Serge F. Clermont in the house rules section. [callsign: Meridian]

I hope he doesn't mind my linking of it ... if there is let me or a mod know and it will be removed. ... anyway It's here in .doc format, about 4 pages long.

Attachments

• alignment commandments.doc
    112.5 KB · Views: 320

Gizzard

First Post
How about this -- if a CN character commits an evil act like a murder, he would then have to commit an good act of equal proportion -- like giving life to someone who died unjustly. ;-)

Psion

Adventurer
Heh... yeah, I grimmace whenever I see the letters on the character sheet as well. In your case, it sounds like the character wanted an excuse to be evil without being evil. Chaotic =/= willing to kill at a whim. That's evil.

When I get a player requesting to play a CN character, I immediately require them to tell me what motivates their character and why they would be involved in a party, because too often it is used by players who want to just dilly-dally and dodge all responsibility.

Humanophile

First Post
I hate to open this can of worms here, but...

Play an alignment-free game. Require a sentence to a paragraph of writeup for the character's general personality, but for the most part, ignore all of that and let the players role-play how they want to.

I find it interesting how many people like to hide behind alignments, saying things like "I'm C-N, it's in-character for him to act like an a-hole", but without that to fall back on, they're far less likely to bluntly state "My character's an a-hole, it's in character for me to play him like an a-hole".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads